Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Vladislav Namestnikov extends with the Rangers (2 years, $4M AAV)

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Same thing can be said about every teams fanbase.

Yes such comments are not necessary. Nam can`t expect a long term deal with so little games for us and NY after the trade, and Nam have two years to improve his overall skillset. And I believe he has room for improvement for sure, and some players in NHL develop late in this game.

Reactions: NewYorkNick

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Ok can someone fill me up with the reasons why J.T Miller contract is bad ?

From a neutral POV it looks pretty decent
From what I read before the trade JT Miller was a lazy player. He wasn't popular with the NY fan base even though he's clearly better than the Russian.
His signing with T B is a solid deal. He seems a better fit in Florida than NY kinda like the Justin Schultz situation.
The better team can hide a players flaws and a change of scenario can be helpful.
The irony to this is VLAD was so much better with the Lightning than the Rangers.
AND fans are OK with a $4 million per for a guy who scored two goals since the trade

Reactions: SantaClaus

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
From what I read before the trade JT Miller was a lazy player. He wasn't popular with the NY fan base even though he's clearly better than the Russian.
His signing with T B is a solid deal. He seems a better fit in Florida than NY kinda like the Justin Schultz situation.
The better team can hide a players flaws and a change of scenario can be helpful.
The irony to this is VLAD was so much better with the Lightning than the Rangers.
AND fans are OK with a $4 million per for a guy who scored two goals since the trade
Fans are ok with $4M for two years for this specific player on this specific team for many reasons that have been spelled out here repeatedly.

Miller's deal imo is problematic because he has issues in the playoffs and TB already has similar issues like Stamkos being a ghost in elimination games. Also, Miller is very hot and cold and 5 years is a long commitment to a player like that.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016

I have to disagree with the overall situation regarding being a better fit. Anyone who slots in with Stamkos would logically be in a better situation to put up points.
Are we really using 19 games as the measuring stick for Namestnikov's success in NY?
He came from a team where he played with one of the most prolific scorers in the league to the disarray that was the NYR under AV coaching a team decimated by injuries.

I see the value in Names for several reasons, he is a decent player first and foremost and he can be a center if NYR need him to be. He can help the younger Russian players on the team as well. They signed him to a good deal in both term and salary for are building team and can move him at the deadline as well.

I am a big JT Miller fan but it was obvious he either quit on the coach or regressed. I like the fact the Rangers now don't need to have to resign both he and McD. This rebuild has no room for new long term, high dollar contracts to veterans.

I think Names projects to be much better than a guy who scored 4pts for a bad Ranger team in his 19 games.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I have to disagree with the overall situation regarding being a better fit. Anyone who slots in with Stamkos would logically be in a better situation to put up points.
Are we really using 19 games as the measuring stick for Namestnikov's success in NY?
He came from a team where he played with one of the most prolific scorers in the league to the disarray that was the NYR under AV coaching a team decimated by injuries.

I see the value in Names for several reasons, he is a decent player first and foremost and he can be a center if NYR need him to be. He can help the younger Russian players on the team as well. They signed him to a good deal in both term and salary for are building team and can move him at the deadline as well.

I am a big JT Miller fan but it was obvious he either quit on the coach or regressed. I like the fact the Rangers now don't need to have to resign both he and McD. This rebuild has no room for new long term, high dollar contracts to veterans.

I think Names projects to be much better than a guy who scored 4pts for a bad Ranger team in his 19 games.
My point isn't to criticize Names its to defend JT Miller.
It seems N YR fans have this serious displeasure with him like he was a cancer. And just because he wasn't popular in NY doesn't m e an he wouldn't turn it around in Florida.
5.25 for a 50-60 point forward like Miller is the going rate. He would have probably gotten more on the open market.
And Miller was at a point per game pace with TB. Names did not produce as well as JT with the Lightning.
I have no problem with either contract.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
My point isn't to criticize Names its to defend JT Miller.
It seems N YR fans have this serious displeasure with him like he was a cancer. And just because he wasn't popular in NY doesn't m e an he wouldn't turn it around in Florida.
5.25 for a 50-60 point forward like Miller is the going rate. He would have probably gotten more on the open market.
And Miller was at a point per game pace with TB. Names did not produce as well as JT with the Lightning.
I have no problem with either contract.

I hated to see Miller go. I think Ranger most fans wanted him to succeed in NY but grew frustrated with him in the end. I wouldn't say it is hate more so than disappointment.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Again. He is a terrible example for the young players on the team. Would want nothing to do with him on a team going through a rebuild. Hopefully, Namestnikov will have around 15 G and 20 A at the deadline and they can move him for a 2nd rounder. I would be happy with that. Miller's work ethic on and off the ice is crap. That is the complete opposite of the types of players Gorton has drafted and traded for over the past year and a half. I am hardly sad to see Miller off the team. The only expectations i have for Namestnikov is that he will try hard every game and occasionally chip in on offense. That's good enough for right now. Miller 57 playoff games, 3 G 21 A. He's a losing player.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Over/under 30 points for him next season? Glad we traded him, he's a good and funny kid but nothing without Stamkos and Kucherov.

When we swapped him and Namestnikov I thought he was slightly better than Vladdy but after watching a few games of him I came to the conclusion that he's way better than Vladdy.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Over/under 30 points for him next season? Glad we traded him, he's a good and funny kid but nothing without Stamkos and Kucherov.

When we swapped him and Namestnikov I thought he was slightly better than Vladdy but after watching a few games of him I came to the conclusion that he's way better than Vladdy.
He is a different type player than Names. JT fits in better with Stamkos and Kuch. He is stronger and more proficient around the goal. He always showed flashes with the RAngers, but became predictable. His standard was carry into the O zone, pull it up and look for the trailer. Let's face it, the kid walked into the ideal situation. Is he better than Names, probably, but on this Rangers team, contract considered, not so much.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
All you have to do is look at Miller's playoff numbers. They don't lie. Again, he's a losing player. Kid the Rangers really wanted in that deal was Hajek. He has a good chance to be a rock in the top 4 defense core for years. They used the lightning pick to take Lundqvist who also stands a pretty good chance of being a righty in their top 4 rotation for years. Howden is the type of forward the Rangers lack way too much of. He should be a good 3rd line player at worse for many years. Well worth the deal they made. Respect McDonaagh a ton. Excellent player. Miller can go scratch.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Obviously Vladdy was better with the Lightning but he played good. Vladdy got the Buch treatment from AV and that explains his point totals. JTM doesn’t show up when he needs to, even playing on the stacked Lightning it didn’t hide his shitty playoff play. I’m happy with the Namestnikov deal and if Tampa is happy with that JT contract good for them, I just wouldn’t give it to him though

Don’t know how many times I have to say this as well but idk why there’s so much talk of JTM and his contract on here. It’s known and confirmed JT wasn’t swapped with Namestnikov in that large deal.

Bobby Orr's Knees

Dec 17, 2002
Where it hurts most
Visit site
I have season tickets (live in Tampa) but not a Bolts fan. I thought Tampa looked worse with Miller playing with 86/91. It may be a personality thing. Neither Kuch or Stammer seem to interact much with JT on the bench. I dunno, maybe Vladdy's role with the Lightening was keeping the superstars happy. If the Rangers get Panarin, having a fun English/Russian speaking kid around will really help.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Again. He is a terrible example for the young players on the team. Would want nothing to do with him on a team going through a rebuild. Hopefully, Namestnikov will have around 15 G and 20 A at the deadline and they can move him for a 2nd rounder. I would be happy with that. Miller's work ethic on and off the ice is crap. That is the complete opposite of the types of players Gorton has drafted and traded for over the past year and a half. I am hardly sad to see Miller off the team. The only expectations i have for Namestnikov is that he will try hard every game and occasionally chip in on offense. That's good enough for right now. Miller 57 playoff games, 3 G 21 A. He's a losing player.
Vladdy's playoff numbers are much worse than JT Millers and he didn't produce in the regular season either for the Rangers.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Always liked Vladdy. I think it is a good signing for the $$$.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Complimentary player who can contribute when insulated by star players. Not a fit for the Rangers.

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
I still don't understand all the hate this guy gets

For real, it's unbelievable. He's a typical middle-6 forward good for 30-50pts a year. What's wrong with a short term $4m contract for him? He performs, awesome. He doesn't and he's off the books before the rebuild even ends. No downside. If anything, he helps us with all the young Russian prospects we have incoming.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
I have season tickets (live in Tampa) but not a Bolts fan. I thought Tampa looked worse with Miller playing with 86/91. It may be a personality thing. Neither Kuch or Stammer seem to interact much with JT on the bench. I dunno, maybe Vladdy's role with the Lightening was keeping the superstars happy. If the Rangers get Panarin, having a fun English/Russian speaking kid around will really help.

I agree, but it's not a popular opinion. Because boxscores. I felt Miller was too often behind the play, somehow either his skating or his decision making can't keep up with Stamkos and Kucherov. He looked much stronger than Namestnikov on the boards (Namestnikov is still relatively weak), and I think this is appreciated a lot by TB fans. But I think Namestnikov speed, hustle and awareness were the glue for that line. Miller seems to me a player similar to Killorn - really strong but not quick on his feet and/or in his head. Does Tampa need another Killorn? As for Namestnikov, I think the contrast between 1st line numbers in TB and 4th list numbers in NY turned people on him. But, looking beyond the numbers, he is hard working and fast skating center who is not shy to crash the net. Will not drive the line, but will do what he can to win, a decent 2C/3C option, not trash.

In terms of contract, people need to remember that Namestnikov was eligible for arbitration, and his TB numbers set the floor of his contract pretty high. 4M is what the Rangers had to pay to keep him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad