Dreger: NYR to buy out Tony DeAngelo in the Summer.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Can someone educate me as to why he might not have wanted to void his contract? Was it just the money? I assume he would have been signed by another team, and actually play. I can’t imagine sitting out an entire season is helpful building your career

also, if his contract is voided, what do waivers do? andthen hes a free agent after? Im confused by that

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Can someone educate me as to why he might not have wanted to void his contract? Was it just the money? I assume he would have been signed by another team, and actually play. I can’t imagine sitting out an entire season is helpful building your career
Depends. If he went to rehab his image or if he makes a public example on how he has changed for the better then he will likely get another shot in the NHL. This is a young 50+ pt RHD defender with outstanding ADV stats after all. I could see him sitting out a season for that reason. Otherwise, he's going to Russia IMO.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

also, if his contract is voided, what do waivers do? andthen hes a free agent after? Im confused by that

Money + relaxing on couch > less money + playing

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Depends. If he went to rehab his image or if he makes a public example on how he has changed for the better then he will likely get another shot in the NHL. This is a young 50+ pt RHD defender with outstanding ADV stats after all. I could see him sitting out a season for that reason. Otherwise, he's going to Russia IMO.
I thought i read last year his advance stats made his play look unsustainable, some stats geeks were already anticipating Fox surpassing him

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
I thought i read last year his advance stats made his play look unsustainable, some stats geeks were already anticipating Fox surpassing him
Advanced stats say Fox is the best dman in the league with the only close person being McAvoy. And honestly, they are probably the 2 best dmen in the league already. And just looking at some of the more basic possession and shot metrics Deangelo was great especially compared to his teammates (until fox came to the team and was like hey gimme the norris as a 2nd year player)... Seriously Fox looks like the best dman since Karlsson so it's unfair to compare basically anyone to him

Reactions: Slaydagnar

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
It literally would make zero sense for him to agree to terminate his contract and lose the money of what's left on it. You realize he loses all the money if he terminates right?
I was kind of surprised Gusev did the same thing. I mean Hank wouldn't do it and the guy has made over 100M playing hockey.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Gotta do what you gotta do, sucks for the Rangers as they could use that money in the coming years as they build a contender (I think they’re better than what they’ve shown this year)

He might have a chance to snag a job at league minimum somewhere but he’s going to have a short leash

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Gotta do what you gotta do, sucks for the Rangers as they could use that money in the coming years as they build a contender (I think they’re better than what they’ve shown this year)

He might have a chance to snag a job at league minimum somewhere but he’s going to have a short leash
Isn’t his buyout cap hit like $350K?

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Isn’t his buyout cap hit like $350K?
Something like that. I can't wait to see how far the fall is off Mount Moralhighground when somebody's GM offers him a deal 15 seconds after the buyout. The fact is, world class athletes will always get a pass because winning is the only thing that matters. A coach or GM who loses doesn't keep their job because they took the high ground. They get fired in favor of someone who will do "whatever it takes to win".

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
A NYR fan told me just the other day he wasn’t a cap dump . As an Oiler fan in the off season I would offer Koskinen . Let NYR expose Koskinen to Seattle. The Oilers can let Barrie walk opening up room for a goalie upgrade . NYR can buy out Koskinen after the expansion draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad