Dreger: NYR to buy out Tony DeAngelo in the Summer.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
A NYR fan told me just the other day he wasn’t a cap dump . As an Oiler fan in the off season I would offer Koskinen . Let NYR expose Koskinen to Seattle. The Oilers can let Barrie walk opening up room for a goalie upgrade . NYR can buy out Koskinen after the expansion draft.
he's not, its much easier and cheaper to just buy him out than trade him for an anchor. But Oilers should have offered, he didn't have any trade protection. No once he's a UFA this summer he will get to decide where he wants to go, unless no one even makes him an offer.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
A NYR fan told me just the other day he wasn’t a cap dump . As an Oiler fan in the off season I would offer Koskinen . Let NYR expose Koskinen to Seattle. The Oilers can let Barrie walk opening up room for a goalie upgrade . NYR can buy out Koskinen after the expansion draft.
We already have Kinkaid for the expansion draft. Why would we take on Koskinen. I'm kind of confused as to why we wouldn't just expose ADA in the expansion draft and if he doesn't get picked, buy him out then.

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
We already have Kinkaid for the expansion draft. Why would we take on Koskinen. I'm kind of confused as to why we wouldn't just expose ADA in the expansion draft and if he doesn't get picked, buy him out then.
I'm sure Francis has already told Gorton he's not interested in ADA. Otherwise, they would definitely wait for the expansion draft before buying him out.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Can someone educate me as to why he might not have wanted to void his contract? Was it just the money? I assume he would have been signed by another team, and actually play. I can’t imagine sitting out an entire season is helpful building your career

also, if his contract is voided, what do waivers do? andthen hes a free agent after? Im confused by that

Gets the rest of his money this season ~$867,000 and his buyout money $1,776,667 vs accepting a termination and accepting league minimum for the rest of the season ~$175,000. For a guy that will likely never make this kind of money for the rest of his life he’s smart to sit out and take the buyout

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Advanced stats say Fox is the best dman in the league with the only close person being McAvoy. And honestly, they are probably the 2 best dmen in the league already. And just looking at some of the more basic possession and shot metrics Deangelo was great especially compared to his teammates (until fox came to the team and was like hey gimme the norris as a 2nd year player)... Seriously Fox looks like the best dman since Karlsson so it's unfair to compare basically anyone to him
Which advance stats? I know Adam Fox is up there, but there’s different stats geeks with their own formulas lol. If it’s the Athletic dude’s GVSA he’s at the top, but stats like that heavily influenced by minutes eg Makar was way at the top at 2, pacing his way to 1... then got injured and dropped below 10, then came back and last check some weeks ago after a few games he was back at 10th (Hedman was also really low then jumped up, a few names completely shifted up and down over some weeks)

many of the top ten’s latest update are different than just weeks before; those kinds of stats fluctuate through the year. Adam Fox is definitely playing better than everyone right now tho

Reactions: 2022 Stanley Cup

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
I'm sure what Dreger actually means is a DeAngelo trade is imminent within 48 h

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
People actually want DeAngelo to forfeit over $2.5M in order to show that he's... what?.... reformed from being a hot head?

It's scary how little common sense is left when people come into Tony DeAngelo threads to gripe about their hatred for him.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Gets the rest of his money this season ~$867,000 and his buyout money $1,776,667 vs accepting a termination and accepting league minimum for the rest of the season ~$175,000. For a guy that will likely never make this kind of money for the rest of his life he’s smart to sit out and take the buyout

I'm not fan of DeAngelo, and hope he never plays in the NHL again... but to expect him to forfeit $2.5 million is completely unrealistic. Missing out on a month or two more of hockey, isn't going to change whatever career he has moving forward.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

Hockey Fanatik

Mar 28, 2021
Can someone educate me as to why he might not have wanted to void his contract? Was it just the money? I assume he would have been signed by another team, and actually play. I can’t imagine sitting out an entire season is helpful building your career

also, if his contract is voided, what do waivers do? andthen hes a free agent after? Im confused by that
Reason you be bought out is you can make enough to where, if your career is already over via the incident, youve made enough to be okay and do something else if you want

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I didn't think there was a buyout window this offseason unless you were a team wanting to get rid of a player with a No Move Clause.

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
ADA will be back in the NHL eventually unless society completely implodes in on itself. He'll go to Europe and be successful and then come back in a year or 2 and have a good career. He might even get his second chance off the buyout. Sure, fans on HFBoards will complain, but I doubt the team that signs him will lose any season ticket holders over it.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
What’s with all these comments?
I know hes had issues with racism as a teen. He’s had a contract since then, his reasons for being on the outside looking in is for other reasons this time.

Huge red flags but I doubt hes totally isolated himself from a contractt

Last edited:

Bluto

Dec 24, 2017
What’s with all these comments?
I know hes had issues with racism as a teen. He’s had a contract since then, his reasons for being on the outside looking in is for other reasons this time.

Huge red flags but I doubt hell’s totally isolated himself from a contractt

To be fair to DeAngelo, he called people homophobic slurs as a teen. Nobody has come out and said he was racist and that has been pretty much denied by all involved. The pundits and people on HFBoards keep that lie going.
If we banned everyone who has said the bundle of sticks word from playing in the NHL, I think you'd find rosters across the league to be devoid of players.
DeAngelo is a douchebag, but he's not a racist.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
To be fair to DeAngelo, he called people homophobic slurs as a teen. Nobody has come out and said he was racist and that has been pretty much denied by all involved. The pundits and people on HFBoards keep that lie going.
If we banned everyone who has said the bundle of sticks word from playing in the NHL, I think you'd find rosters across the league to be devoid of players.
DeAngelo is a douchebag, but he's not a racist.

I totally agree, if it’s the same slur I’m thinking about. It gets tossed around very loosely.
I remembered racial slurs, but I guess could be wrong.

Here is the quote,
DeAngelo was suspended twice for “contravening the rule which attempts to keep homophobic, racist, sexist, and the other derogatory language used by small minds – out of the game.

Bluto

Dec 24, 2017
I totally agree, if it’s the same slur I’m thinking about. It gets tossed around very loosely.
I remembered racial slurs, but I guess could be wrong.

Here is the quote,
DeAngelo was suspended twice for “contravening the rule which attempts to keep homophobic, racist, sexist, and the other derogatory language used by small minds – out of the game.
Ex-Rangers player Tony DeAngelo bares soul in interview (nypost.com)

"Not that it makes this any less heinous in nature, but The Post has learned that the slur he directed at a Caucasian teammate was ethnic in nature, not related to race."

It's a good read to get the whole story on the ADA saga

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Did you miss the tweet that is the reason the thread was started? A team was very interested in signing him without a cap dump. And I would be shocked if Montreal was the only team.

Teams want to take advantage of Gorton, who put himself in a hole with this deal. Doesn't mean that teams wouldn't want DeAngelo on their team for less than a cap dump.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Why would he likely never make that money? Did he lose all his ability? Some of you seem to be in denial that teams don't view DeAngelo like you do. The tweet that prompted the starting of the thread says a team was very interested in signing him.

Reactions: Tob and HBK27

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
He was on waivers and every team passed on him when they could have had him for free.

Now you're saying those same teams will be in bidding wars with one another? I doubt it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad