Confirmed with Link: Travis Green named new head coach

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
That was me. I didn't say he wouldn't want to go to Toronto, I simply asked why people were so sure. Obviously there was a valid explanation for why people were so sure, but nobody wanted to elaborate on it.
You are lying. You argued with me for hours telling me Berube wouldn't take the job because of the media.

I nailed it and you were wrong. Time for you to apologize.

I was re-reading your posts you were throwing at me. Man you were out to lunch and argued and were 100% wrong.

, it's that he's a coach that will have his pick of just about any team, so why would he choose a team full of mediocre playoff performers and the most brutal media in hockey?

Contrary to what Leaf fans think, not everyone wants to be a part of their organization.

This is you. You were wrong and I was right. I nailed Berube to Toronto.

Reactions: Erik Alfredsson

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yup.. If you scroll back to the origins of the comment, you will get a better picture.

October/November of 2023 was different. We were still under the myth of the great rebuild. There was a shine on them and on everyone.

By late November, Dorion is fired. Late December Smith is fired.

Late January, Jacques Martin, more or less throws up his hands.

Media, which for the previous 5 years had used kid gloves, stopped. I was floored by how harsh Marc Methot's analysis of them was.

So, the chick who thought she was good looking, and had the attitude to go with it and the Diva stance, has been told she is not that pretty.

This batch has been humbled. Now is the time to tell the Diva; Pay for your own drink.

We no longer have anything to fear. If they want out, fine, get rid of them. We cannot win with them. What then. is the difference if we have or don't have them? If the Not so good looking chick is angry at you not paying for the drink, What the F do you lose?
Anyone that bought into what Pierre Dorion was doing given all the data available must not have been paying attention. You need to take some responsibility. The guy was utterly clueless and it was beyond obvious.

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
Anyone that bought into what Pierre Dorion was doing given all the data available must not have been paying attention. You need to take some responsibility. The guy was utterly clueless and it was beyond obvious.
yes.. but the public at large. The players themselves. In early part of the 2023/2024 season, there was a shine. Tim And Brady were coming of of career years. Norris was back. And so on.

A shine was on them. DJ fed it, Dorion fed it, the media fed it. There was this giddy euphoria. Players and fans bought it. You don't remember the hand slapping of Andlauer?

Yes, a portion of us, knew it was crap.. Others didn't.

So when fans booed, yea, the players reacted. they were still in their wrappers. All shiny.

2 Months later... tarnished and humbled.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The team went from talking about pizza and hot dogs under Dorion/DJ to Meat and Potatoes under Staois/Green.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Weird this is a Travis Green thread. I think you're lost. You're welcome to go to the leafs board though. That's your home board isn't it?
Berube's style of hockey and the star players he has for the most part don’t align or match up well. It's a curious blend. I wonder how he can turn this around and have those players playing the tough, punishing, physical playoff type hockey. There’s limitations with the cap situation so it will be interesting to see what adjustments are made and how this will unfold.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yup, as soon as Melnyk was out of the picture the hope that he was hamstringing Dorion was lost. Dorion proved to be absolutely incompetent. Rob Murphy has said to a friend that Dorion ignored everything they told him and made unilateral decisions. Maybe our pro scouts weren’t that bad after all.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Yup, as soon as Melnyk was out of the picture the hope that he was hamstringing Dorion was lost. Dorion proved to be absolutely incompetent. Rob Murphy has said to a friend that Dorion ignored everything they told him and made unilateral decisions. Maybe our pro scouts weren’t that bad after all.
Or maybe the scouts wanted Zadina or Drysdale instead of Sanderson, no-one knows.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
No matter who did what, at least we finally live in a world where it seems indisputable and agreed upon that an objectively poor job was done at rebuilding the team.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
No matter who did what, at least we finally live in a world where it seems indisputable and agreed upon that an objectively poor job was done at rebuilding the team.
I was ok with the rebuilding in general, just got rushed, I also get there was the sale circumstance, that took awhile, but was still rushed.
Pinto, Stu, Brady, Sandy and Ridley are good pieces moving forward. 2 or 3 players in Belleville.
Will take a couple of years to fill in the gaps.

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
You are lying. You argued with me for hours telling me Berube wouldn't take the job because of the media.

I nailed it and you were wrong. Time for you to apologize.

I was re-reading your posts you were throwing at me. Man you were out to lunch and argued and were 100% wrong.

, it's that he's a coach that will have his pick of just about any team, so why would he choose a team full of mediocre playoff performers and the most brutal media in hockey?

Contrary to what Leaf fans think, not everyone wants to be a part of their organization.

This is you. You were wrong and I was right. I nailed Berube to Toronto.
This may be a bit of sour grapes if indeed Berube did turn us down for a chance to coach the Leafs but in looking at a bit more, outside of winning the Cup in 18-19, he has only won 1 other playoff series in 7 years of being a Head Coach.

Let me qualify this by saying that winning a Cup is huge. It's a small list of active NHL coaches (Bednar, Sullivan, Cooper, Cassidy, Laviolette, Torts & Berube) that have a Cup to their name.
I am not trying to diminish the accomplishment. Just don't see much in the way of results aside from that Cup.

If Berube didn't want to come to Ottawa and you want to bring on a recent Cup winner, your looking at Quenneville (still banned from the NHL), Babcock (nope), Carlyle (hasn't coached in 5+ years), Sutter (too old school), Bylsma (hasn't been a head coach in the NHL in 7 years) and Claude Julien. Not sure if they even interviewed Julien. I would have thought he would get some consideration.

When it comes down to it, I was not crazy about the hiring of Travis Green but I am warming up to it and I am starting to think (hope) it might just be great fit.

Reactions: LiseL

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I was ok with the rebuilding in general, just got rushed, I also get there was the sale circumstance, that took awhile, but was still rushed.
Pinto, Stu, Brady, Sandy and Ridley are good pieces moving forward. 2 or 3 players in Belleville.
There were good parts, including all those you named, but as a whole is the issue.

Some of it was PD trying to navigate with Melnyk's budget and some things going sideways for him even within that. But you are right that much of what went sideways was from trying to expedite things and that's where the show really went off the rails. Anyone trying to frame it as a 100% shit pie isn't being honest, but as a whole, it is undeniable that the organization should be way, way deeper than it is now. Finishing it off with Korpisalo and what is likely to end up the worst UFA contract ever given out in Ottawa sure leaves a rotten taste in the mouth too.

They're thin on prospects, have had no on ice success, had 5+ mil in dead cap this year, and have two expensive goalies that can't stop a beach ball, and the whole org basically had to be gutted. Hard to call it a success in any sort of way at this point. Hopefully Steve can course correct and make some savvy changes.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I would assume it's Newell Brown.

Can't say I have ever heard of him before, but the guy has been an Assistant/Associate Coach in the NHL for the last 27 years, including being an Assistant for Green in Vancouver.
Ok, Ducks are going to hate us if we keep stealing their staff...

• Haha
Reactions: LiseL

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
the hockey world no longer allows, "a couple of years to fill gaps". Salaries, the CAP, FA at 7 or 27. ELC burn for collegians if they come out with only a handful of games left. ELC burn with a player in the minors. NTC, NMC and so on.

the net window is 10-11 years. In that, is the FYOUS. It pretty much forces a rebuild into 5-6 years. And pretty much requires 2-4 players on ELC. And another 2-4 on reasonable bridge deals.

the 5-6 year rebuild should have ended 2021/2022 or 2022/2023 and FYOUS should have been 1-2 years old.

Melnyk was no dummy when he declared FYOUS from 2021 onwards. He knew the cycle.

now there is no ELC and the team may force a bridge on Pinto, Greig and Klevin. The 2020 draft class needed to produce the ELCs and Bridge guys (with someone added from the 2021 draft).

The solid core should have been the 2015-2019. Those 5 years produced 5 players, one of which is JBD a 6/7 D man!!

Reactions: Relapsing

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
the hockey world no longer allows, "a couple of years to fill gaps". Salaries, the CAP, FA at 7 or 27. ELC burn for collegians if they come out with only a handful of games left. ELC burn with a player in the minors. NTC, NMC and so on.

the net window is 10-11 years. In that, is the FYOUS. It pretty much forces a rebuild into 5-6 years. And pretty much requires 2-4 players on ELC. And another 2-4 on reasonable bridge deals.

the 5-6 year rebuild should have ended 2021/2022 or 2022/2023 and FYOUS should have been 1-2 years old.

Melnyk was no dummy when he declared FYOUS from 2021 onwards. He knew the cycle.

now there is no ELC and the team may force a bridge on Pinto, Greig and Klevin. The 2020 draft class needed to produce the ELCs and Bridge guys (with someone added from the 2021 draft).

The solid core should have been the 2015-2019. Those 5 years produced 5 players, one of which is JBD a 6/7 D man!!
Surprised you were sucked into believing the FYOUS at the time. I thought it was off by 3 years back then, but if you believed what EM said, oh well.

Whether you agree or not, that’s how long it will take to fill gaps on the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad