Confirmed with Link: NYR/STL - Tarasenko to NYR

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
This is what I see. Would love to find a speedy third line type to compliment Kreider and Trochek better and bump Vesey down. Also would have no problem spending a 4th on Motte again.

Something like:

Panarin - Zib - Tank
Laf - Chytil - KK
Kreider - Trochek - Athanasiou/Domi
Motte - Goodrow - Vesey

Would be pretty formidable if the kids can keep it up and everyone is healthy. Depends on the price for the third line guys.
We should try Gauthier with Tro and Kreider. He’s fast and big. I don’t understand why he hasn’t at least earned a look there. He plays a straight line game like the other two players.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Aren't we all.

Didn't need to part with any pick to do that though.

Sure but that's not "kicking the can down the road." Using your picks every year is organically a part of a franchise's operation. It's the baseline.

Kicking the can down the road implies a deliberate attempt to move the needle into the future. Like I said, selling active roster pieces for excess picks would count as that.

And personally it's not something I would be necessarily opposed to, but I know that's not a popular stance.

Renting is moving your timeline up.
Our timeline IS now and for several years. We have Shesterkin, 3 good lines, one of the best defense corps in the league, AND lots of young talent. What are we waiting for?

For the record, I don't mind discussing with you. You have a differnet opinion, but it's not the off the wall stuff some post.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Our timeline IS now and for several years. We have Shesterkin, 3 good lines, one of the best defense corps in the league, AND lots of young talent. What are we waiting for?

For the record, I don't mind discussing with you. You have a differnet opinion, but it's not the off the wall stuff some post.

Thanks, I know I'm in the minority here but I try to DEBATE and not just get mad, yell, and then put people on ignore.

Reactions: Unpredictable1

Kocur26

Limousine Ridin’
Jul 30, 2021
But that is exactly what you suggested we do in previous posts. Have you made up your mind on where you stand? Have you remembered we operate in a world where the salary cap exists?
Yes I did say that - my point is .. F it .

Let’s put all of our chips in this year …

We used bullets up last year for a nice - heavily lucky run last year but still no ring .

Go for it now - sell the future - like Smith did and get whoever we deem necessary to win it all.

You’re not getting any younger McKay

Kocur26

Limousine Ridin’
Jul 30, 2021
You said "load up ". In your original post you were yapping about getting Kane and Timo?

Fit this under the salary cap for me please.

And adding Tyler Motte in not " loading up".
If we want Meier we can figure it out .
It’ll cost big but if he’s the guy to get us to the mountain top ( tho he was -4 last night) then pay the price .

It’s pretty simple to understand- don’t be half in it to win it …

Bet your mortgage

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Thanks, I know I'm in the minority here but I try to DEBATE and not just get mad, yell, and then put people on ignore.
Honestly it took me awhile because your avatar looks like you're pissed and aggravated with everything, ha.

And debate is the right word. THAT'S the purpose of a message board, bot arguing and yelling.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
We should now flip Tarasenko for firsts. Panarin, Zib, Kreider and Fox are all expensive, trade them for firsts. Igor will be too expensive next contracts, so get as many firsts as we can. Basically if the team isn't TBL or last year Colorado level, then scrap it and do it again until you hit. May take 150 years, whatever.

But more seriously, what the hell is the effective difference between a 2nd and a late 1st? There is a cap, it is what it is, you have to TRY. This era of NYR will never be TBL level, or last year's Col level of team building perfection, so we just turtle until maybe we become that?
This is a big thing that fans look at way differently than GMs.

Most fans think all 1st rounders are a top premium asset and similar value, which is why fans get mad about trading firsts. GMs look at them as where they are in the order, a late first is closer in value to an early 2nd than an early 1st but most fans would think all 1sts are comparable in value. GMs also take their prospect pool, their young player on the NHL roster, the timelines these players are on and the amount of draft picks the organization has made recently and has coming up in the future to all be calculated into trades like this. The Rangers trading a 1st, knowing they have another one in this draft, is a lot different than a team trading theirs without having another one.

I'm honestly very surprised that people thought Drury was actually going to go into the draft with both 1st round picks and make both selections. The second that trade was made I figured that pick would be used at the deadline as long as our season was going well.

Reactions: JCProdigy

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Honestly it took me awhile because your avatar looks like you're pissed and aggravated with everything, ha.

And debate is the right word. THAT'S the purpose of a message board, bot arguing and yelling.

The avatar is Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes completely losing his shit when Hobbes beats him at chess. Given my rep around here I felt it was appropriate, and I even MS Paint'd a Rangers Jersey on him. Hah.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Panarin was the last NHLer to be born in the Soviet Union on Oct 31st before the Belovezha Accords resulted in the dissolution of the USSR on Dec 8th. 5 days later, Tarasenko became the first NHLer to be born in the Commonwealth of Independent States, the successor of the USSR.
I’ll never forget where I was at this moment

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
You know it's a bit disingenuous to equate not spending high end assets with "packing it in and giving the Cup to the Bruins."

No one is saying the Rangers have zero chance. Just that it's not a high chance, even with adding.

And that adding expensive vets rarely moves the needle or tips the scales.

So all in all it's a bad value exchange that likely results in no championship. If you want the championship the better odds are staying put and trying to draft a Pastrnak or Point late.
im sorry but excuse me? this just isnt the case at all....30 other teams are trying to draft a pasta or a point late in the draft

adding at the deadline almost ALWAYS moves the needle for the team that wins, even without the add of vlad id say the same thing, we are a dangerous team that if gets hot in the playoffs can easily win, adding a player that can put the puck in the net is a huge win

how many late first rounders pan out, the odds of getting a star at pick number 25-32 are very low

If we get Jeannot for Krat, this is an A+ deadline for Drury
no

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
im sorry but excuse me? this just isnt the case at all....30 other teams are trying to draft a pasta or a point late in the draft

adding at the deadline almost ALWAYS moves the needle for the team that wins, even without the add of vlad id say the same thing, we are a dangerous team that if gets hot in the playoffs can easily win, adding a player that can put the puck in the net is a huge win

how many late first rounders pan out, the odds of getting a star at pick number 25-32 are very low

Well, of course everyone is trying to draft a star. Yes, but you have to do it better than them.

Or just resign yourself to being a franchise also-ran. Go get better scouts if you aren't drafting better than other teams.

Reactions: Galvatron

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
Well, of course everyone is trying to draft a star. Yes, but you have to do it better than them.

Or just resign yourself to being a franchise also-ran. Go get better scouts if you aren't drafting better than other teams.
we are a team that drafted hank in the 7th, igor in the 3rd, we have drafted well

hell miller was a late first, kreider was a middle 1st

we dont draft superstars but we draft quality players

currently constructed we line up with any team in the nhl well

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers can fit Tarasenko and resign the RFA's if the former takes a discount for a year or two to play with some Russian pals and try to win another Cup.
Good luck trying to fit all of these players under an $83.5M cap. The value of the trade isn't bad. Hopefully, the Rangers win the Cup and the Blues get the 32nd pick in the draft. The Stars pick ends up being higher which is the Rangers pick. The value of the trade isn't bad considering the Rangers acquired Mikkola in the same trade and he fills a need. The Rangers also needed 50% retention. The Rangers also need more cap relief and the Blues took on Blais. I think I wrote a few weeks ago the Rangers would need retention and for the Blues to take back Blais for the money to work. Tarasenko is a $2.225M player for the Rangers. $3.75M was too much.

I heard Seravalli today and he said the Blues could get a late 1st for retaining 50% on Barbashev.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
The Rangers can fit Tarasenko and resign the RFA's if the former takes a discount for a year or two to play with some Russian pals and try to win another Cup.

Drury can bridge Miller and Laf. Chytil is getting a big contract pretty much no matter what at this point. Goodrow can be dealt or bought out. @BBKers has mentioned a potential 3 mil increase. I think they can actually get to a point where they might be able to keep Vladdy and Mikkola. But its not worth getting into now. The summer will bring its own challenge but its time to focus on the task at hand, getting these guys names on the Stanley Cup.

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Drury can bridge Miller and Laf. Chytil is getting a big contract pretty much no matter what at this point. Goodrow can be dealt or bought out. @BBKers has mentioned a potential 3 mil increase. I think they can actually get to a point where they might be able to keep Vladdy and Mikkola. But its not worth getting into now. The summer will bring its own challenge but its time to focus on the task at hand, getting these guys names on the Stanley Cup.

Makes the trade eminently more likeable if it's a spring board to re-signing him on like a 3 year deal.

Reactions: McRanger92

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
rentals are fine if you have a real shot at the cup.

We know this team isn't perfect but they do have a shot at the cup with this roster. Maybe not odds on favorite but they have talent up front a solid group of defenseman lead by one of the best in the league, and a top goalie who could turn it on and win a series by himself.

Adding a rental that helps out not only the top line but also the team depth isn't a bad thing especially when you still have draft picks

Reactions: PuckPuckPuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad