Confirmed with Link: NYR/STL - Tarasenko to NYR

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
8 weeks plus playoffs, v a prospect who may or may not contribute as much to a cup run. I agree, nothing is given. THIS team has enough talent and a goalie who can get really hot, to make a serious run. You take the shots in front of you instead of kicking the can down the road.

Using your first round picks isn’t kicking the can down the road. Trading away active roster players, now that’s kicking the can down the road.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Using your first round picks isn’t kicking the can down the road. Trading away active roster players, now that’s kicking the can down the road.
I was happy to kick Blais down the road. And for what it's worth picks ARE further down the road that current players. I'd rather keep players (Laf, Kakko, Chytil, even Kravtsov) than a pick at this point to get a good player.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Yes, it must be me you are correct we won a ton of Stanley cups in the last 30 years.

Burning number 1 picks in consecutive years with no brass to show for it is the way to go.
But that is exactly what you suggested we do in previous posts. Have you made up your mind on where you stand? Have you remembered we operate in a world where the salary cap exists?

Reactions: UnSandvich

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I'm not fond of moving 1sts myself, and while I'd prefer to have kept both this year, it's kind of silly to expect this team and FO, no matter the names in FO, not to use the excess to improve the odds this year. Even if I do not believe the odds are all that much improved.

We just improved a team that is 18-4-3 in the last 25 games without taking an impactful player off the roster or in the system.

If this player can regain his form from last year, that has the POTENTIAL to make this team as good and deep as any team in the league.

Assuming the kids recent surge is legit and sustained.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I was happy to kick Blais down the road.

Aren't we all.

Didn't need to part with any pick to do that though.

And for what it's worth picks ARE further down the road that current players. I'd rather keep players (Laf, Kakko, Chytil, even Kravtsov) than a pick at this point to get a good player.

Sure but that's not "kicking the can down the road." Using your picks every year is organically a part of a franchise's operation. It's the baseline.

Kicking the can down the road implies a deliberate attempt to move the needle into the future. Like I said, selling active roster pieces for excess picks would count as that.

And personally it's not something I would be necessarily opposed to, but I know that's not a popular stance.

Renting is moving your timeline up.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was happy to kick Blais down the road. And for what it's worth picks ARE further down the road that current players. I'd rather keep players (Laf, Kakko, Chytil, even Kravtsov) than a pick at this point to get a good player.

I felt bad for Blais. Wasn’t the same after that Slewban trip, and he never was able to find his game back here. It wasn’t like “Thank goodness he’s gone” kinda feeling. It was more like sorry it didn’t work out here kinda feel.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
We should now flip Tarasenko for firsts. Panarin, Zib, Kreider and Fox are all expensive, trade them for firsts. Igor will be too expensive next contracts, so get as many firsts as we can. Basically if the team isn't TBL or last year Colorado level, then scrap it and do it again until you hit. May take 150 years, whatever.

But more seriously, what the hell is the effective difference between a 2nd and a late 1st? There is a cap, it is what it is, you have to TRY. This era of NYR will never be TBL level, or last year's Col level of team building perfection, so we just turtle until maybe we become that?

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Good post, but I take issue with the bolded. Last season it was absolutely not an issue with defence or goaltending. I mean Campbell didn't win them any games, but he didn't lose any either. They once again had issues with scoring. Marner, Nylander and Matthews pulled their weight until game 7. Their depth scoring wasn't there, when their stars faded in G7. Who stepped up for Tampa? Nick Paul.

And so far, they have not yet improved on that front, at least not in my eyes.

Fair, admittedly I watch TML the least of the bunch because for all their talent and notoriety and tire pumping they are actually an incredibly boring team imo. I stand by my prediction that theyll be beat Tampa but thats based more on a gut feel and the fact that they need to win a round at some point right? Right???

Bluesish

Embrace Mediocracy
Nov 19, 2011
Rust Belt, USA
I'm gonna miss Vova so much. He might not be an HOFer but his contributions to the Blues for the past decade can't be understated. He may not be prime Vova, but I think he'll thrive in NY. I know it isn't in the Blues interests but I hope he gets to make a deep run with you all.

As far as the trade goes I'm curious how you all feel about the value. Espn gave the NYR an A for the trade and the Blues a C+. I'm happy with this trade as a Blues fan. I dont think either side fleeced the other but that the value was fair for both teams. I probably would have given us a B for the trade given the circumstances.

In any case, best of luck down the stretch and I'll try to catch yall's game tonight to see how he does.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I'm gonna miss Vova so much. He might not be an HOFer but his contributions to the Blues for the past decade can't be understated. He may not be prime Vova, but I think he'll thrive in NY. I know it isn't in the Blues interests but I hope he gets to make a deep run with you all.

As far as the trade goes I'm curious how you all feel about the value. Espn gave the NYR an A for the trade and the Blues a C+. I'm happy with this trade as a Blues fan. I dont think either side fleeced the other but that the value was fair for both teams. I probably would have given us a B for the trade given the circumstances.

In any case, best of luck down the stretch and I'll try to catch yall's game tonight to see how he does.
Shocked Skinner was the prospect is really it. I thought they'd have gotten one of NYR's better prospects. Skinner is close to non-prospect status at this point.

Think the deal benefits both sides though

Reactions: bhamill

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
This was the most likely trade scenario for the Rangers this year. I'm glad they pulled the trigger early on it. A fair trade for both sides. You have a disgruntled player with a NTC so the Blues should have gotten more but not much they could do with the NTC in play. I have no problem with giving up a first for Tank. He's still a lethal sniper and the biggest need of the Rangers. An elite competitor that can push this team for every ounce of juice it has. Mikkola seems like an actual NHL defender so it'll be interesting to see how that works out for the third pairing. If those blows up in Drury's face I expect something big happening this offseason.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
No one is twisting their arm. You never "have to" make bad value trades of a first for what ends up in all likelihood to be 8 weeks of a player.
I beg to differ. It's not a bad value trade. It's actually damn good value. They got a top 6 RW which they needed, got bottom pair help, lost nobody on the active roster that was any good, retained all of their top prospects, and still have their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd this draft. Drury gets an A.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

I think you did about as well as you could have realistically hoped to do. This isn't a "Horvat like return" that Andy Strickland is trying to spin it as, but its essentially a late 1st and a 3rd for 2 players you weren't bringing back.

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly

From the Rangers perspective, the first round pick was the only asset of value given up. Blais has not been an effective player at all since returning from his injury, which is a shame because he looked like he had some promise as a 3rd line RW prior to the injury. Skinner has been unable to stick in the AHL and is a long shot to be an NHL player. And a 3rd round pick is a 3rd round pick.

I don't feel like the Rangers fleeced the Blues, but I definitely think the Rangers have the edge in this trade. We managed to sure up our two biggest holes by giving up one valuable asset and not touching the current roster.

I don't know if the Blues could have gotten more for Tarasenko elsewhere, or even if Tarasenko was willing to go elsewhere. It may be that the Blues got the best possible return on the trade.

Bluesish

Embrace Mediocracy
Nov 19, 2011
Rust Belt, USA
From the Rangers perspective, the first round pick was the only asset of value given up. Blais has not been an effective player at all since returning from his injury, which is a shame because he looked like he had some promise as a 3rd line RW prior to the injury. Skinner has been unable to stick in the AHL and is a long shot to be an NHL player. And a 3rd round pick is a 3rd round pick.

I don't feel like the Rangers fleeced the Blues, but I definitely think the Rangers have the edge in this trade. We managed to sure up our two biggest holes by giving up one valuable asset and not touching the current roster.

I don't know if the Blues could have gotten more for Tarasenko elsewhere, or even if Tarasenko was willing to go elsewhere. It may be that the Blues got the best possible return on the trade.
Completely agree with your analysis. The NTC made the list of eligible teams quite small so I think that factored heavily into the return value. I think the A grade for NYR is appropriate but would bump the Blues to B- or a B.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Blais flipped before the deadline if he does well with middle-six minutes the next couple of weeks.

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
Needed 4 things before the deadline and we got the 2 toughest parts of that in one deal. #1 RW and #6D

Still need a bottom 6 forward and a Justin Braun defenseman. Ben Harpur cannot play in the playoffs. Need to get a guy we can feel comfortable playing in the playoffs but have no problem scratching right now.

The fourth piece is a bottom 6 forward and that will probably be Motte.
Umm... you might want to look at the full details of that trade again...

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Looks like I missed some stuff yesterday.

I don't love or hate this. Giving up a 1st sucks but at least given Tarasenko's cap hit even at 50% retained, this means the Rangers don't have the cap space to make another huge move in which the other 1st could be dealt. So that's good that they'll have at least one 1st rounder this June.

Mikkola is a sneaky good pick up.

Tarasenko I feel is going to be feast or famine. An Olli Jokinen esque epic failure or he fulfills his destiny and scores the Cup winning goal for the Rangers, lifts the Cup and skates around with it a bit, and deadpans into the camera and shouts "f*** you Dylan McIlrath!!!" whilst wheeling away celebrating with the Cup.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004

Well, I don't know anything about Mikkola. I haven't heard any Rangers fans aside from a few on here complaining.

I liked Blais, I am one of the Rangers fans who isn't constantly whining about the Buchnevich trade, it just wasn't working for him here and not sure he is even fully recovered from last year's injury. When I heard there was a prospect, I was hoping it was not Othmann or Cuylle. Figured if it wasn't one of those 2 it would be Zac Jones, Adam Sykora, or Matthew Robertson. Was thrilled they only gave up Hunter Skinner.as I had actually forgotten about him. Think he played for the US in the World Jrs a few years ago and IIRC, looked good. Just was never going to get a chance here.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
His numbers are Barbashev esque.

Not that you need to be a big producer in his role but you have to give something.

Lafferty is still my target for that role.
2 more moves:
- Krat for either Lafferty or Jeannot
- one more decent 4th liner to push Gauthier to 13F from among Motte, Watson, Bonino, Aciari, Sundqvist, Bjugstad, etc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad