Confirmed with Link: NYR sign Pavel Buchnevich [2 yrs, $3.25M AAV]

Blazephr

Jun 23, 2008
Vermont - NYC
Shayna(Twitter) A note about Buchnevich’s contract.. he’s an RFA the year of the expansion draft. The New York Rangers have to protect him if they want to ensure they don’t lose him, but if Seattle takes him they can only take 9 other pending free agents (both RFAs and UFAs).

Black Aces

Oct 4, 2008
Amazing deal, even though I would have much preferred longer term (5x5). .

I dont think he has shown enough to make me feel comfortable to commit 5 x 5. I feel like he could be a steal at 5 x 5 or a disaster. I need to see more. I am cautiuosly optimistic about him given what I saw after the TDL.

Reactions: nyr2k2 and egelband

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I hope DeAngelo gets a longer deal than 2 years.

I think DeAngelo's getting a 1 year deal similar to LaBanc in San Jose. Rangers really have no cap space to be handing out a lot of money and I'm sure they'll want DeAngelo to prove himself again. For DeAngelo, he's without arb rights and that 1 year deal would make him arbitration eligible to cash in next year if he has another good season.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I would think that if he’s right about weekend days, the buyout window would open on Tuesday and expire on Friday.

Granted, I’m not sure and can’t research right now. So if someone else wants to look into that.

Weekends have little to no bearing in any professional sport, at least in NA.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I dont think he has shown enough to make me feel comfortable to commit 5 x 5. I feel like he could be a steal at 5 x 5 or a disaster. I need to see more. I am cautiuosly optimistic about him given what I saw after the TDL.
True, but in order to get a steal of a deal at long term, you have to take risks. I doubt many fans or GMs feel completely comfortable signing a player off their ELC to a long term deal if the player is still somewhat unproven. If a player is a known quantity like Aho or Marner, you rarely get a steal of a contract for them after their ELC.

And maybe it’s because I’m a big Buchnevich fan, but he pretty much proved to me what he is capable of. I have little doubt he’s going to set career highs in points next season if he stays healthy and plays with guys like Panarin or Zib. The first half of last season was a fluke IMO due to 1) Having a poor team around him and not being as motivated, and 2) Playing with a struggling Howden. Yes the team was worse off after the TDL but I think Quinn was able to give Buch that extra motivation.

Last edited:

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I think DeAngelo's getting a 1 year deal similar to LaBanc in San Jose. Rangers really have no cap space to be handing out a lot of money and I'm sure they'll want DeAngelo to prove himself again. For DeAngelo, he's without arb rights and that 1 year deal would make him arbitration eligible to cash in next year if he has another good season.
You’re saying that DeAngelo would take a 1x1 deal this summer so that he could have arbitration rights next summer, right?

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
You’re saying that DeAngelo would take a 1x1 deal this summer so that he could have arbitration rights next summer, right?

Basically. Maybe he could get a little more in terms of salary but he has no leverage outside of an offer sheet so it's basically take it or leave it and with the Rangers in the situation they're in, there's really no reason for them to offer much.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
True, but in order to get a steal of a deal at long term, you have to take risks. I doubt many fans or GMs feel completely comfortable signing a player off their ELC to a long term deal if the player is still somewhat unproven. If a player is a known quantity like Aho or Marner, you rarely get a steal of a contract for them after their ELC.

And maybe it’s because I’m a big Buchnevich fan, but he pretty much proved to me what he is capable of. I have little doubt he’s going to set career highs in points next season if he stays healthy and plays with guys like Panarin or Zib. The first half of last season was a fluke IMO due to 1) Having a poor team around him and not being as motivated, and 2) Playing with a struggling Howden. Yes the team was worse off after the TDL but I think Quinn was able to give Buch that extra motivation.
I'm leery of guys with motivation issues. Or, rather, I'm leery of commiting to those guys long term.

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The upside of a one-year deal for DeAngelo is the arbitration situation. Beyond that upside, however, he doesn't have any leverage and basically has to take a one-year deal if that's what the Rangers offer. He either takes what they offer; sits out; or goes to the KHL or somewhere else where there's no transfer agreement.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I'm leery of guys with motivation issues. Or, rather, I'm leery of commiting to those guys long term.
That’s actually a really good point and the only thing that is keeping me from wanting to give Buchnevich an 8 year deal. I would still give him 4-5 years, as I think Quinn is a great coach to help with motivation, but I understand the concerns. Maybe he’s only motivated from time to time, maybe he stops caring once he gets a long term deal, maybe he needs more motivation than Quinn, etc.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Basically. Maybe he could get a little more in terms of salary but he has no leverage outside of an offer sheet so it's basically take it or leave it and with the Rangers in the situation they're in, there's really no reason for them to offer much.
That would make sense. What if the Rangers played hardball and only offered him a 5-6 year deal at a low (3.5-4.5 mil) AAV? That would probably create some resentment between the player and the team, but he would have no choice other than to ask for a trade or leave the NHL, right?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I bet some of you who think it’s a good deal now with passage of time will be questioning Gorton for not committing to a longer deal. Not everyone but those who like making statements with a benefit of hindsight.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
That would make sense. What if the Rangers played hardball and only offered him a 5-6 year deal at a low (3.5-4.5 mil) AAV? That would probably create some resentment between the player and the team, but he would have no choice other than to ask for a trade or leave the NHL, right?

Meh. These RFAs are taking a stand now. Can't play too much hard ball

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Weekends have little to no bearing in any professional sport, at least in NA.

There is something in the back of my mind that did involve the weekend mattering, but I have absolutely no way of knowing which CBA that was under. Like I remember my surprise that weekend days made any difference but I don’t remember when it happened or what it was in regard to. Either way, I’m sure it doesn’t matter for this.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I like some of the things we saw from ADA, but I think he's getting pretty heavily overrated here. His first season that wasn't a trainwreck and we want to lock him up long term?

He should be and will be bridged, just like Buchnevich. These long term extensions for players coming off RFAs are primarily for guys with at least two full good seasons under their belts. Anything else is a big gamble with the goal of saving money 4-6 years from now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad