Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Ryan Reaves signs extension with the Rangers (1 year, $1.75M)

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
He doesn't fight every time he's challenged, but you keep on dreaming.

And I hope the rangers play how you're thinking they should. Those will be very entertaining losses for new yorkers.

Your take on the Rangers employing a 12th/13th forward as if it was some sort of apocalypse for the team is utterly hilarious. "Oh no, we...got bottom six players that don't belong in the AHL?" isn't really a burn or a detriment to the team. Did you see our bottom 6? It was a hodgepodge of top 6 players that didn't cut the top 6 put into bad roles/positions and AHLers. And Kevin Rooney, bless his heart.

Tinordi getting more than 25 games is an injury issue. Reaves will play 10-ish minutes a night in exactly the 12th forward role. The idea that we're going to suddenly ask Panarin to put on 30 pounds and start running people and completely change the way we play in the top six because we brought in Ryan Reaves and Jarred Tinordi is a real bad take.

Last edited:

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Its a little pricey for him, but its one year and hes practically the baddest MF'er in the game so you can't really complain.

Tom Wilson is not gonna be flexing in the box vs the Rangers next year :laugh:

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Laugh away. I'm pretty sure every Rangers fan is glad we are replacing our talentless, soft bottom 6 players like Howden, Di Giuseppe and Blackwell (who admittedly did have a decent season) for tougher, harder to play against guys like Blais, Goodrow and Reaves (who is not going to play 82 games). Buchnevich was going to be traded no matter what, it has nothing to do with the Wilson situation or changing the look of the team.

Rangers haven't really done a dramatic change to their line up, yet somehow people are laughing 'cause supposedly the Rangers are ruining their rebuild. How? None of the young rookies have been traded. None of the prospects in the system/pipeline have been traded. No significant pics have been given away. The rebuild is progressing just fine. What has changed is the outlook of the bottom-6, which is not really part of any rebuild is it?

For the cost, I am a Ranger fan, and am not glad.

The thought process is basically the Rangers are so talented they can absorb being lesser talented, to become tougher, I disagree.

The majority of the games they lost last year were not because they were bad in their bottom 6F or even their bottom pair D, it was because guys like Zbad, Panarin, Strome, Kreider, Trouba either did not play well, or did not show up. I don't feel like they lost a bunch of games because they had Blackwell, Howden, DGP, Hajek playing the less consequential minutes they did.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I'm pretty happy with this trade so far, hopefully will be with the signing as well.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
That sends a terrible message if you’re the capitals and Wilson. It says that they’re both scared and what the Rangers did worked.
It absolutely did work. There has been no usual wilson antics yet. Well worth the price. The pens flyers Islanders etx should send the NYR ad Christmas card

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Said in the NYR thread when acquired.

He doesnt have to fight to be an effective player and 19 games in, and he's been very effective and the fight he did have, a youngster made the mistake of challenging Reavo.

Didn't work out to well for the kid.

This was a good move

Heckler81

Oct 14, 2017
I LOVE what Reaves brings to the team. He brings leadership, energy on the 4th line and some offensive skills.

You also see the Rangers sticking up for each other too. You have guys like Fox and Laf dropping gloves to stick up for the team.

I think the way Reaves, Goodrow, and Blais play. The team is trying to match their tenacity.

Rangers find ugly ways to win and their style is perfect for playoff hockey.

crab

Jan 26, 2019

Two primary assists last night including this beautiful pass to Rooney. But yeah Reaves is definitely a talentless goon despite being able to make that play at 35 years old

He has 3 assist in 16 games. The stats support him being a talentless goon.

This is consistent with last year where he had 5 points in 37 games.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForConnSmythe
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State

If you watch the games it's like a PP whenever he's on the ice. That 4th line is controlling play in the other teams zone more than any other line on our team lol. He's an excellent forechecker as well

Reactions: Rempe73 and hn777

crab

Jan 26, 2019
If you watch the games it's like a PP whenever he's on the ice. That 4th line is controlling play in the other teams zone more than any other line on our team lol. He's an excellent forechecker as well

Ed I like you but I hate the Rangers. Can you just let me chirp your players in peace? Lol

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

He wasn’t brought here to score. He’s helped solidify our fourth line and does a good job forechecking. He’s been a great addition. Even the Rangers fans that hated this trade have changed their opinions.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He wasn’t brought here to score. He’s helped solidify our fourth line and does a good job forechecking. He’s been a great addition. Even the Rangers fans that hated this trade have changed their opinions.

A good forechecker creates puck possession and by that creates some scoring. He plays under 10mins per game, the least on the team. He's making good coin for what he brings. If Ranger fans like him, be happy.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
A good forechecker creates puck possession and by that creates some scoring. He plays under 10mins per game, the least on the team. He's making good coin for what he brings. If Ranger fans like him, be happy.
I am happy. I’ve wanted Reaves here for awhile. For what he brings on the ice as well as off the ice.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I'll admit, I wasn't that keen, especially at that price point.

But Reaves has played well and has even had some nice assists so far.

I'm definitely not expecting any kind of scoring, but, on the 4th line, he opens up space for Rooney and Hunt, keeps teams honest, and finishes his checks.

What's more (and more important) is that he also seems to be very well-liked in the locker room and has helped bring about a change of culture that the Rangers organization has needed.

The team that seemed uncertain and lacking confidence last year is now playing with a bit more fire throughout the lineup. Especially if Kakko and Lafreniere find their consistency (amongst others), the Rangers will be a team that will surprise a lot of folks.

Losing Blais was also a blow to us and the kind of tenacious game we have been playing under Gallant, but Reaves has turned it up a notch, and the lineup is trying to take on that tenacity.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
School me. What does he bring to the ice? Lets stipulate that he is a great guy in the room.
He's a great forechecker and a good enough 4th liner. Like, that's it. Nobody is saying he's Wayne Gretzky but there's value in satisfying your team's "intangibles" itch while being able to take a shift.

GM's and coaches still value toughness and locker room stuff quite a bit and if it's not Reaves, you end up with some scrub like Glass or Howden.

Reactions: Kupo

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He's a great forechecker and a good enough 4th liner. Like, that's it. Nobody is saying he's Wayne Gretzky but there's value in satisfying your team's "intangibles" itch while being able to take a shift.

GM's and coaches still value toughness and locker room stuff quite a bit and if it's not Reaves, you end up with some scrub like Glass or Howden.

I am not sure what your definition of forecheck is but if he was really excellent at that, he wouldn't be playing under 10mins a game. Leadership and toughness are import things for a team to have, but its valuable when the guy can play a regular shift and contribute a shift or two on a special team.

There might be value in having him there but Panarin is still pissed off enough to lose his focus and do stupid shit. Come crunch time I bet the Rangers wish they could use that cap space on a player. Why did they move Lemieux?

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad