Confirmed Buy-Out [NYR] Rangers buy-out Deangelo (383k cap hit year 1, 883k cap hit year 2)

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
The bottom line with DeAngelo is that he's caused far more problems than his defenders want to admit, AND committed far fewer/less egregious acts than his detractors want to admit. He's not a saint, and bringing him into a team is almost a guarantee that you will have to clean up a mess sooner or later. That said, the constant posts grouping him together with guys who have committed racist acts, abused women, committed sexual assault, etc are also absurd. He kind of reminds me a lot of Sean Avery (another guy who was universally hated, had his warts, but whose haters could never justify their hate via his actual actions). He has more talent than Avery did, so I'm sure he'll get another chance, but he might be on his last chance by this point. Players like that are an annoyance, and NHL teams don't like to be annoyed.

Reactions: haveandare

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Mailloux and DeAngelo... two top RHD for Habs. Let's go Bergevin, make it happen! Sign Jake Virtanen too!!

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
Funny.

He didn't become a "cancer" until his third year with New York - when the Rangers changed defense coaches and started playing guys like Brendan Smith, K'Andre Miller, and Ryan Lindgren more than him?

Perhaps if he played with a coach that knows his game and gives him ice time he gets back to putting up points.

Wonder if that guy is out there anywhere?

He's been a "cancer" since junior. The Coyotes - the kings of irrelevance and cheap contracts - couldn't deal with him. The Lightning offed him. His own OHL coach suspended him - not the league - the coach. This is a 10+ year pattern that he seems unwilling or unable to break. Has nothing to do with the coach - neither Quinn nor Martin made the decisions around him aside from choosing to scratch him for blowing multiple defensive assignments and then acting like a selfish idiot in the first game of the season.

Additionally, if you believe that asking a defender to be defensively responsible to the point of "don't get put on a poster multiple times a game" is a problematic stance for a defense coach to take, I've got an unfortunate bit of news for you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad