Proposal: NYR/OTT: Mutual Satisfaction?

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Igor will hit 2.85, Fox hits 850,000,Chytil,Lindgren will get some bonus money especially if Block Shots is a category Lindgren could get the whole amount.

Kakko should get half of 2.65 if not the whole thing. Laf will get a good chunk so they could be paying out almost 10 million in bonus money. It can rollover but that’s how you get into cap problems. That won’t help next year when they have to pay Laf more bonus money along with Kakko. Fox and Chytil will be getting raises.
Miller will be getting bonus money,NL as well when he signs along with Kravstov.
What are the specific bonuses that will be hit, for doin what?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Ottawa doesn't need to take on Brendan Smith to reach the cap floor. For one, there are more useful high priced players who are available but also they have 11-14 contracts they need to add to their current total. Only 9 players have a contract, so adding 22 million to their cap total will not be very difficult.

Agree they don't NEED to take him on.
What NY would pay for them to do so and if that makes sense is something else.
No retention on the cap hit, his actual salary $ is less.

return of OTT 2021 4th + DAL 2020 3rd + Smith full pop 4.35 expiring
for
7th round pick, any yr, conditional or otherwise.

Lias Andersen, separate deal, make an offer...

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Agree they don't NEED to take him on.
What NY would pay for them to do so and if that makes sense is something else.
No retention on the cap hit, his actual salary $ is less.

return of OTT 2021 4th + DAL 2020 3rd + Smith full pop 4.35 expiring
for
7th round pick, any yr, conditional or otherwise.

Lias Andersen, separate deal, make an offer...

I guess my point was they won’t be trading for a player just for the sake of taking on salary. That’s not to say they won’t take back a relatively big contract but it will be a player they can use. Not Brendan Smith.

I think Duclair, Tierney and Brown will account for about 10 million so after those three. Ottawa would need to spend 12 million on 10 or so players.

Reactions: egelband

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I guess my point was they won’t be trading for a player just for the sake of taking on salary. That’s not to say they won’t take back a relatively big contract but it will be a player they can use. Not Brendan Smith.

I think Duclair, Tierney and Brown will account for about 10 million so after those three. Ottawa would need to spend 12 million on 10 or so players.

Not disagreeing w/any of that.
Just sayin, all teams can use more picks, and buying and selling commodities of picks vs contracts happens all the time, and while not interfering with the bigger picture as you described, an expiring 4.35 cap hit costing less for adequate picks returned could be of interest to OTT.

I'm flexible as long as we are not talking the stupidity of dealing Hank's 8.5 + 22OA for a symbolic nothing. Geo should be sold to the highest bidder.

Reactions: egelband

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
something that warrants review.

However, note in last 3 wks Lias seems to have learned how to skate possibly enuf for NHL level, he is tearing up Swedish league.

We should still trade the ingrate, but if his value has upped at last, we should wait a little bit longer for best offer in best package.

I think OTT can be a fit for the right package.

Lias has played 2 games and has 1 goal, WTF are you talking about?

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
We have about 7 mil in perf bonus possibilities not including Laf. any bonuses achieved in 20-21 would hit whatever the left over cap offers and then the residual would roll into 21-22 as a cap hit. It’s not a 20-21 problem but agree we have to plan a 21-22 hit esp with Igor and Laf. Which bonuses do you think will hit?

The Rangers will not have any cap problems for quite some time. Lundqvist, Staal and Smith are all up after next season. Buchnevich and DeAngelo are players that will be in demand because of their production, age and manageable contracts. First time the Rangers will have some cap issues will be 3 to 4 years from now. If they can't move Staal or Smith they simply will sit them a lot and just run out their contracts. Hank they will buyout.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
The Rangers will not have any cap problems for quite some time. Lundqvist, Staal and Smith are all up after next season. Buchnevich and DeAngelo are players that will be in demand because of their production, age and manageable contracts. First time the Rangers will have some cap issues will be 3 to 4 years from now. If they can't move Staal or Smith they simply will sit them a lot and just run out their contracts. Hank they will buyout.
I tend to agree however having young superstar talent, we need to keep an eye on the bonuses. That was the point. First sign of stress will be 22-23 when Ziba is UFA and Kakko, Fox RFAs

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
The only way they move smith as a dump is if its for something close in value with it, say smith and a 4th for a 5th, but i don't think NY needs the cap space anyway right now and i believe they will just let him and Staal play out the last year of their contracts, Smith was a useful player in the 2nd half of the season, i see no reason to dump him. The only contract they will be looking to shed is Lundqvist, and there's no fit in ottawa for that.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
We have about 7 mil in perf bonus possibilities not including Laf. any bonuses achieved in 20-21 would hit whatever the left over cap offers and then the residual would roll into 21-22 as a cap hit. It’s not a 20-21 problem but agree we have to plan a 21-22 hit esp with Igor and Laf. Which bonuses do you think will hit?

It absolutely, 100% is a 20-21 problem, as I've already explained.

A Club shall be permitted to have an Averaged Club Salary in excess of the Upper Limit resulting from Performance Bonuses solely to the extent that such excess results from the inclusion in Averaged Club Salary of: (i) Exhibit 5 Individual "A" Performance Bonuses and "B" Performance Bonuses paid by the Club that may be earned by Players in the Entry Level System and (ii) Performance Bonuses that may be earned by Players pursuant to Section 50.2(b)(i)(C) above, provided that under no circumstances may a Club's Averaged Club Salary so exceed the Upper Limit by an amount greater than the result of seven-and-one-half (7.5) percent multiplied by the Upper Limit (the "Performance Bonus Cushion").

7.5% of 81.5 mil is 6.1125 mil. That means the absolute max we can have in cap hits and potential performance bonuses is 87.6125 mil. If we have 10 mil in potential performance bonuses, that means we can only spend up to 77.6125 mil in cap. Get it?

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
It absolutely, 100% is a 20-21 problem, as I've already explained.

7.5% of 81.5 mil is 6.1125 mil. That means the absolute max we can have in cap hits and potential performance bonuses is 87.6125 mil. If we have 10 mil in potential performance bonuses, that means we can only spend up to 77.6125 mil in cap. Get it?
Ah, got it now. What’s the solution then.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Ah, got it now. What’s the solution then.

Probably buying out and/or trading people. Hank will likely get bought out, saving us 3 mil, some of which will then be spent to replace him (Georgiev or a UFA). Maybe Staal gets bought out. If we replace him with Hajek, that saves us another 1.3 mil. Maybe both Strome and ADA will take a little less on a 1 year deal, but I could easily see at least one of them being traded.

Hank retiring would be the best option for us, but I wouldn't blame him if he doesn't. Gorton is going to have to be creative to both fit under the cap and address our positions of need.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The only way they move smith as a dump is if its for something close in value with it, say smith and a 4th for a 5th, but i don't think NY needs the cap space anyway right now and i believe they will just let him and Staal play out the last year of their contracts, Smith was a useful player in the 2nd half of the season, i see no reason to dump him. The only contract they will be looking to shed is Lundqvist, and there's no fit in ottawa for that.

Probably buying out and/or trading people. Hank will likely get bought out, saving us 3 mil, some of which will then be spent to replace him (Georgiev or a UFA). Maybe Staal gets bought out. If we replace him with Hajek, that saves us another 1.3 mil. Maybe both Strome and ADA will take a little less on a 1 year deal, but I could easily see at least one of them being traded.

Hank retiring would be the best option for us, but I wouldn't blame him if he doesn't. Gorton is going to have to be creative to both fit under the cap and address our positions of need.

I could see OTT giving us conditional 7th for Smith and return of their 2021 4th. Maybe another sweetener like our 2021 4th as well.

Should not buy out Hank = dead cap.
Get assets for Geo
Deal buch, Strome, and possibly Deangelo
that will work

guy who needs to have the soul searching talk should be marc staal.
If he retired now, that would help immensely.
And if he doesn't I'd rather he be the one bought out.

Hank has > production value than Staal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad