Proposal: NYR/OTT: Mutual Satisfaction?

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I actually really like this for both sides. In such a strange off-season I would hope the Sens would weaponize their cap space to get higher end assets (young roster RHD and more 1sts at the top of that list), but given Melnyk's unwillingness to spend I think this is probably a more realistic trade. Sens can give Lias a year or two in their lineup and Smith fills Borowiecki's role (if/when he walks) better than Reilly can.
This should be the exact type of move the Sens make. Low risk. If Lias doesn’t pan out they don’t give up too much but if he does they get a good middle 6 FWD that has skill and plays like a giant A-hole

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
are Sens Cap-strapped?
Smith received a bonus payment in July, his actual $$ well below Cap Hit - also known as a 'classic Melnyk'

The Sens will reach the cap floor easily so the higher hit isn't that appealing. Smith still makes 2.35M base salary while Reilly makes 1.5m, I can't see them taking on an extra 850k.

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
You’re missing the point, different situations. Fox had zero value in retaining him and they would have lost him the following year anyhow. I don’t believe that Lias will come back and has 0 value in retaining him, his value in my proposal was to get rid of Smiths cap hit. Whether or not the proposal is agreeable is another thing.
Fox has zero value in retaining him? What are you talking about. It doesn’t matter if Lias comes back you don’t sell low just because.

Reactions: eco's bones

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
No need to spend assets to move Smith. As someone already pointed out, the Rangers have few options at LD right now (Lindgren, Smith, and Staal are the only proven options). They also aren't in any kind of cap crunch that necessitates a move like this. Also, with their post-season experience, I'd rather hold on to Staal and Smith and see what playoff teams might give for them at the deadline with retention. I wouldn't be surprised if the Rangers could pick up a 3rd rounder (or even a 2nd, depending on the trade market).

We need to clear space if we intend to re-sign all our RFAs.

Reactions: bernmeister

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
We do, buying out Hank will put us about 500k in the black for cap if we’re cheap with the RFAs. Dumping Smith’s cap and getting an NHLer, arguably better, back at 1.5 would cost us Lias imho. After this deal, we’d go into next season with 1.5-2 mil of space on a 22 man roster.

Reactions: hmc1987

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
We do, buying out Hank will put us about 500k in the black for cap if we’re cheap with the RFAs. Dumping Smith’s cap and getting an NHLer, arguably better, back at 1.5 would cost us Lias imho. After this deal, we’d go into next season with 1.5-2 mil of space on a 22 man roster.

We are already exceeding the bonus cushion without Laf, which means we have to fully account for his potential bonuses. As a 1st overall pick, he will get max bonuses, which essentially puts his cap hit at 3.775 mil.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
We are already exceeding the bonus cushion without Laf, which means we have to fully account for his potential bonuses. As a 1st overall pick, he will get max bonuses, which essentially puts his cap hit at 3.775 mil.
Forgot about bonuses, I’m fuzzy but they can hit the cap in the upcoming year, after some of our less than desirable contracts end?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Forgot about bonuses, I’m fuzzy but they can hit the cap in the upcoming year, after some of our less than desirable contracts end?

The bonus cushion is 7.5% of the cap, which this year amounts to 6.1125 mil. Without Laf, we already have 7.2125 mil in potential bonuses, and that assumes a guy like Barron doesn't make the team, who has another 850k in bonuses. On day 1 of the season, we have to be compliant based on potential bonuses. At the end of the season, only the bonuses that were actually earned will be charged to the cap, with any excess rolling over to the next year. I don't anticipate the earned bonuses being an issue, but we absolutely have an issue with the potential bonuses. Every bonus dollar over 6.1125 mil is eating into our cap space. Laf is going to get 2.85 mil in potential bonuses.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Rangers are in no need to trade prospects to unload a contract.

Honestly, I don’t see the Rangers trading anything better than a 5th round pick to trade B. Smith. He is still useful for us since we are weak on the left side.

It is not like OTT is doing this deal and it doesn’t benefit them. This helps the owner be even cheaper and hit the cap floor while spending even less.
Yeah. I’m totally fine with keeping Smith. He has been good back on D and it’s going to be his contract year. I’d trade him, of course, but not as a dump. No idea if another team is interested in that. But if not, that’s fine.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Andersson has no value at this point lol

error, error, non sequitur

a month ago dramatically reduced value, yes
now, still reduced, but rising w/a bullet
dominating Swedish league over last month

not clear he has learned to skate at NHL level, as he seems to me to be little more than a motor and not much talent; HOWEVER
if he has figured out enough to get the job done,
that is the bottom line for suitors to consider
along w/his elc status

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Ottawa really doesn’t need help to hit the cap floor. They only have 10 players under contract. That means they only need to spend $20m on 13 players. They’ll be above the floor just filling out the roster
Add to that couldn’t Ottawa take on others teams deadweight where the bonus was already satisfied by the originating team?
They get the cap hit without taking on the actual full amount in cash payments plus they also get the sweetener (prospects/picks) for taking on that deadweight.
Ottawa and Detroit can be buyers in a sellers market with little financial output.

Last edited:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If he hits all bonuses, we're going to have a special season. And we'll deal with the following season. These are all potential bonuses. I don't think Fast will be back. Injuries will happen and our RFA signings is really up in the air depending on what they want.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
If he hits all bonuses, we're going to have a special season. And we'll deal with the following season. These are all potential bonuses. I don't think Fast will be back. Injuries will happen and our RFA signings is really up in the air depending on what they want.

The problem isn't him hitting his bonuses. Even if he hits all of his bonuses, we will probably be fine. The problem is the potential bonuses for him and other players. They have to be accounted for under the bonus cushion/cap until such time as they cannot be earned.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas

Not if we move Georgiev and Strome (the former will soon price himself out as a backup and I don't get the sense that the latter is part of the long term plan. I prefer Chytil on that 2nd line moving forward). That way we get assets for Georgiev and Strome AND possible assets for Staal and Smith at the deadline.

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
Does that include bonus money to Kakko,Laf,Fox as well?

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Why are we trading smith? We don’t need cap room....

Actually he might garner a mid round pick at the tdl since he can be a serviceable depth D

Reactions: egelband

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Why are we trading smith? We don’t need cap room....

Actually he might garner a mid round pick at the tdl since he can be a serviceable depth D

Ottawa needs to add cap dollars . Smith at 2.5 real dollars isn’t terrible but they could also just sign a ufa

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
We have about 7 mil in perf bonus possibilities not including Laf. any bonuses achieved in 20-21 would hit whatever the left over cap offers and then the residual would roll into 21-22 as a cap hit. It’s not a 20-21 problem but agree we have to plan a 21-22 hit esp with Igor and Laf. Which bonuses do you think will hit?

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
We have about 7 mil in perf bonus possibilities not including Laf. any bonuses achieved in 20-21 would hit whatever the left over cap offers and then the residual would roll into 21-22 as a cap hit. It’s not a 20-21 problem but agree we have to plan a 21-22 hit esp with Igor and Laf. Which bonuses do you think will hit?
Igor will hit 2.85, Fox hits 850,000,Chytil,Lindgren will get some bonus money especially if Block Shots is a category Lindgren could get the whole amount.

Kakko should get half of 2.65 if not the whole thing. Laf will get a good chunk so they could be paying out almost 10 million in bonus money. It can rollover but that’s how you get into cap problems. That won’t help next year when they have to pay Laf more bonus money along with Kakko. Fox and Chytil will be getting raises.
Miller will be getting bonus money,NL as well when he signs along with Kravstov.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Ottawa doesn't need to take on Brendan Smith to reach the cap floor. For one, there are more useful high priced players who are available but also they have 11-14 contracts they need to add to their current total. Only 9 players have a contract, so adding 22 million to their cap total will not be very difficult.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->