Proposal: NYR/OTT: Mutual Satisfaction?

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
NYR would love to shed B Smith’s 1 year cap hit of 4.35, he makes 2.35. How about B Smith and Lias Andersson for Mike Reilly and whatever ELC contract.

NYR get cap space and a capable and cheaper replacement while prospects develop and satisfy Exp draft reqs.

OTT get cap floor help with lesser salary who rolls off in 1 yr to buy time for prospect pipeline and an NHL ready C Still on ELC, who is playing well in SHL and needs a change in scenery.

Small adds either way?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
NYR would love to shed B Smith’s 1 year cap hit of 4.35, he makes 2.35. How about B Smith and Lias Andersson for Mike Reilly and whatever ELC contract.

NYR get cap space and a capable and cheaper replacement while prospects develop and satisfy Exp draft reqs.

OTT get cap floor help with lesser salary who rolls off in 1 yr to buy time for prospect pipeline and an NHL ready C Still on ELC, who is playing well in SHL and needs a change in scenery.

Small adds either way?

something that warrants review.

However, note in last 3 wks Lias seems to have learned how to skate possibly enuf for NHL level, he is tearing up Swedish league.

We should still trade the ingrate, but if his value has upped at last, we should wait a little bit longer for best offer in best package.

I think OTT can be a fit for the right package.

Heckler81

Oct 14, 2017
Rangers are in no need to trade prospects to unload a contract.

Honestly, I don’t see the Rangers trading anything better than a 5th round pick to trade B. Smith. He is still useful for us since we are weak on the left side.

It is not like OTT is doing this deal and it doesn’t benefit them. This helps the owner be even cheaper and hit the cap floor while spending even less.

Reactions: egelband

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
From what I’ve read, Lias appears to want to move on so he has 0 value to NYR but has some value to a team like OTT. Shedding B Smith’s cap hit and adding Reilly at 1.5 saves us 2.85 and provides a better short term partner to Trouba until Miller is ready. Reilly had some success paired with Weber in MTL. We can still use that cap savings to sign another LD at 1.5 (Like a Hutton or Boro type) and still come out ahead to retain Strome and ADA and not have to manage a cap tight rope act all season. Satisfying Exp draft is gravy on top of the meat I’ve kindly provided.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Rangers are in no need to trade prospects to unload a contract.

Honestly, I don’t see the Rangers trading anything better than a 5th round pick to trade B. Smith. He is still useful for us since we are weak on the left side.

It is not like OTT is doing this deal and it doesn’t benefit them. This helps the owner be even cheaper and hit the cap floor while spending even less.
See your point, we don’t have to do it but looks beneficial in my view. I don’t see a team accepting a 5th for even half of B Smiths cap hit (2.675) in this environment.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I actually really like this for both sides. In such a strange off-season I would hope the Sens would weaponize their cap space to get higher end assets (young roster RHD and more 1sts at the top of that list), but given Melnyk's unwillingness to spend I think this is probably a more realistic trade. Sens can give Lias a year or two in their lineup and Smith fills Borowiecki's role (if/when he walks) better than Reilly can.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
No need to spend assets to move Smith. As someone already pointed out, the Rangers have few options at LD right now (Lindgren, Smith, and Staal are the only proven options). They also aren't in any kind of cap crunch that necessitates a move like this. Also, with their post-season experience, I'd rather hold on to Staal and Smith and see what playoff teams might give for them at the deadline with retention. I wouldn't be surprised if the Rangers could pick up a 3rd rounder (or even a 2nd, depending on the trade market).

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Lias, as sweetener, to add a dime-a-dozen, pending UFA, B/B+ LHD? No thanks

Reilly for Smith alone is a wash for NYR, Smith was decent beside Trouba after Skjei trade

forget Reilly,
for Smith + Lias (+?), bring back mostly futures, such as Gruden, the 2 CBJ 2ds and AAAA guys like Jaros and/or Chlapik

Last edited:
Reactions: bernmeister

Heckler81

Oct 14, 2017
From what I’ve read, Lias appears to want to move on so he has 0 value to NYR but has some value to a team like OTT. Shedding B Smith’s cap hit and adding Reilly at 1.5 saves us 2.85 and provides a better short term partner to Trouba until Miller is ready. Reilly had some success paired with Weber in MTL. We can still use that cap savings to sign another LD at 1.5 (Like a Hutton or Boro type) and still come out ahead to retain Strome and ADA and not have to manage a cap tight rope act all season. Satisfying Exp draft is gravy on top of the meat I’ve kindly provided.

You heard wrong.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

Reilly for Smith alone is a wash for NYR, Smith was decent beside Trouba after Skjei trade

forget Reilly,
for Smith + Lias (+?), bring back mostly futures, such as Gruden, the 2 CBJ 2ds and AAAA guys like Jaros and/or Chlapik

Easy no by the sens

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
something that warrants review.

However, note in last 3 wks Lias seems to have learned how to skate possibly enuf for NHL level, he is tearing up Swedish league.

We should still trade the ingrate, but if his value has upped at last, we should wait a little bit longer for best offer in best package.

I think OTT can be a fit for the right package.
.... in "friendly" matches.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Ottawa really doesn’t need help to hit the cap floor. They only have 10 players under contract. That means they only need to spend $20m on 13 players. They’ll be above the floor just filling out the roster

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

forget Reilly,
That's a hell no.

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
Adam Fox had 0 value to Canes since he didn’t want to sign with them and still got them 2 2nds

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019

Small adds either way?

There is zero need to trade a talented prospect to get rid of a guys contract that has one more year left. That's just stupid. Rangers will have plenty of cap space to sign who they choose to sign. They are much more likely to deal Strome with a couple of solid prospects for a younger, cheaper, 2nd center option .

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

Actually most of Reilly's success in Montreal came early in the 2018-19 season when Weber was out for injury. He was mostly paired with Juulsen back then until he also went out for injury. The wheels fell off for Reilly not too long after that.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Smith makes 850k more than Reilly, can't see there being a deal unless there's retention.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Adam Fox had 0 value to Canes since he didn’t want to sign with them and still got them 2 2nds
You’re missing the point, different situations. Fox had zero value in retaining him and they would have lost him the following year anyhow. I don’t believe that Lias will come back and has 0 value in retaining him, his value in my proposal was to get rid of Smiths cap hit. Whether or not the proposal is agreeable is another thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad