Confirmed with Link: [NYR/MTL] Christian Thomas for Danny Kristo

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Sorry but that's complete nonsense.

Unless Lindberg shows he is ready right away (I think we will, but starts in the A anyway) Boyle will center the 4th line. He will be flanked by Asham and whichever young player makes the team. Or Lindberg makes the team and Boyle plays the wing with Asham. Or Kreider and Miller play top 9 and the 4th line is Boyle, Dorsett and Asham.

You really think the team can't assemble a line to compete with the likes of Ryan Carter, Stephen Gionta and Steve Bernier? Or the Merlot line?

This recent obsession with the 4th line is nonsensical. 4th line success is about chemistry and maximizing the strengths of the line in the extremely limited ice time they receive.

We didn't lose in the regular season because of our 4th line. We didn't lose in the playoffs because of our 4th line. It would be a stretch to say that was in top 20 reasons.

The team as a whole looked like an un=coached disaster for huge stretches of last season and the majority of the playoffs. Fix that and the 4th line wont be an issue.

As for the bolded part, they havent been able to. Throwing a bunch of names out there doesnt solve the problem -- and I was talking about the bottom 6, which includes the 3rd line too. And Im not exactly enamored with the fire power of the top 6 either.

I find it comical everytime a new name gets brought up, like Kristo -- 99% of this board having not seen him play more than 5 games, can get all giddy and start inserting him into the lineup as a consistent contributor.

Its nonsense, and we've had a longtime now of not having considerable depth. I'll be skeptical of that problem being fixed until proven otherwise.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
As for the whole underage drinking thing
UND Players Run-ins With The Law

August, 2005 - UND Captain Matt Greene arrested for DUI
July, 2006 - Robbie Bina Arrested For DUI
September, 2006 - Joe Finley arrested for "Loud Party"
November, 2006 - Jonathan Toews charged with "minor in consumption and noisy party gathering"
February, 2007 - Toews, T.J. Oshie & Bina arrested at Judy's Tavern
February, 2007- Grand Forks Police Chief Packett addresses team
April, 2007 - Toews & Oshie plead guilty
May, 2007 - Finley ordered to pay fine & perform community service
December, 2007 - Oshie arrested again, this time for disorderly conduct allegedly after peeing in an elevator
July, 2009 - Finley & Matt Frattin arrested for disorderly conduct, fleeing from police and giving false information
August, 2009 - Frattin arrested again. This time its DUI
September, 2010 - Danny Kristo cited by police for underage drinking

Most of those guys turned out just fine :thumbu:

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I really like this trade.

I find it hilarious that some people are whining about it and then flat out admit they know nothing about Kristo.

Just as funny as pining over the trade and not knowing anything about Kristo, which I see a lot more of.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Most selfish player I have ever seen play (in terms of passing). Stupid player. I have hated him for years. I think this is pretty well-known. :laugh:

He's up there with Palmieri in my dislike category.

I know, your list of stupid players includes Saad, Pamlieri and Kristo.

Yet, two are already looking like NHL regulars and Kristo....we'll see.

Only when Bluenote likes them

As an aside about the "party" label:

I dare anyone to spend significant time in North Dakota and stay sober.

Look at the bright side: it's a lot warmer in New York City. And he still has all his toes.

Congrats. It's the 2nd time your GM ***** us in a trade.

:laugh: Good stuff :handclap:

EVERYTHING IN THE LAST 30 DAYS HAS BEEN ABOUT OFFENSE OFFENSE OFFENSE. Coaches, players, picks, prospects, philosophy! We have that good of a defense eh?

It's like this organization knows NO middles ground. All defense !!! No? Ok, all offense !!!

This is how you stay unstable for 13+ years.

I like that he was breaking trail to get to a girls house.

Princeton Could Us A Man Like Joel!!

:laugh::handclap:

Kristo is definitely a better overall package. The Habs must have seen something that put them off. Hopefully it works out.

It's the character issues. I don't know, but I'm betting he puts his past him. Doesn't seem to be lazy or unwilling to work hard so I don't see a problem going forward.

Gotta think McIlrath is bummed about this. He and CT seemed extremely tight.

That's pro hockey.

I'm not advocating torturing the poor guy, but getting him fired up and not comfortable where he's at is exactly what the doctor ordered.

If Hagelin can make the quick jump I bet their hoping DK can do the same. At the very least he gets the PP time with Stepan and Nash, I think he'd compliment both those players very well.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Yeah wait, I can't be assed to go read the whole thread but anybody getting on a 20 year old kid for getting drunk at college is out of it.

Still would like to see if he's learned to play a more team-centric gamee.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
As for the bolded part, they havent been able to. Throwing a bunch of names out there doesnt solve the problem -- and I was talking about the bottom 6, which includes the 3rd line too. And Im not exactly enamored with the fire power of the top 6 either.

I find it comical everytime a new name gets brought up, like Kristo -- 99% of this board having not seen him play more than 5 games, can get all giddy and start inserting him into the lineup as a consistent contributor.

Its nonsense, and we've had a longtime now of not having considerable depth. I'll be skeptical of that problem being fixed until proven otherwise.

They haven't been able to do a lot of things. The issues with 4th line are in step with the rest of the team. And until we find out if we have a coach that can assemble (and keep assembled) functional lines that run a coherent game plan we won't see much improvement regardless.

The 3rd line doesn't concern me at all. It will be Richards centering some combination of Dorsett, MZA, and Kreider. Maybe Miller.

Where was I penciling Kristo into the lineup? They should and likely will have spots that can be won by youth. Some may not have NHL experience. And they will either start on the 4th line or play higher and bump a guy like Dorsett down.

I'm not exactly reinventing the wheel here.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Last July, I was writing repeatedly on this forum about our lack of depth. I don't feel the same anymore.

For one, we added a quality depth forward (Door) when we exchanged Brass for Gabby.

Two, the addition of Powe as a depth guy will be useful.

Three, I think a couple of our rookies (most likely Miller and Kreider, but could be Lindberg, Fast, Crisco or Hrivik) make it as solid NHLers this year. That will add two more players who can play without us having to call up guys like Segal.

Stepan, Brassard, Richards, Callahan, Nash, Hagelin, and MZA

MZA - Step - Nash
Hags - Brass - Cally
Kreider - Brad - Miller
Asham - Boyle - Dorsett
================
Haley - Powe - Pyatt

That's a quality lineup with good depth.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Just as funny as pining over the trade and not knowing anything about Kristo, which I see a lot more of.

I think it has more to do with realizing what CT is (or isn't) and that it's a gamble worth taking since Kristo brings more to the table in all around potential.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Last July, I was writing repeatedly on this forum about our lack of depth. I don't feel the same anymore.

For one, we added a quality depth forward (Door) when we exchanged Brass for Gabby.

Three, I think a couple of our rookies (most likely Miller and Kreider, but could be Lindberg, Fast, Crisco or Hrivik) make it as solid NHLers this year. That will add two more players who can play without us having to call up guys like Segal.

MZA - Step - Nash
Hags - Brass - Cally
Kreider - Brad - Miller
Asham - Boyle - Dorsett
================
Haley - Powe - Pyatt

There are a lot of what ifs here.

1) Zuccarello is now a top 3 forward? He still hasn't played a full season's worth of NHL games. And while he was better than I thought he would be last year, I'm still not sold. His offensive creativity was a welcome addition because the team was by and large devoid of it. Is that more about the team or about Zuccarello?

2) We all love Hagelin but is he really a top 6 forward? Yes he can do it. But on a top team he's a perfect and excellent third liner. His career stats are what you want from a top 6 winger in a season.

3) The third line has some offensive potential but looks to be pretty bad defensively.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I think it has more to do with realizing what CT is (or isn't) and that it's a gamble worth taking since Kristo brings more to the table in all around potential.

Sure. Now it does.

Dont recall anyone complaining about Thomas 24 hours ago before this trade went down.

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY
Great points, this team just needs a good 2nd line winger so badly.

I have no idea what they should do with Kreider. I don't think he should play with Richards on the 3rd line because that's two negative defensive players, but does he deserve first line minutes with Stepan?

Could a Kreider/Brassard/MZA line work? It'd be pretty weak as well, and I don't know if I'd want to see Kreider and MZA defending in the zone at the same time.

Thesensation19*

This makes no sense to me. wth

It seems Montreal has not been very happy with Kristo in recent years and were happy him for a younger prospect.

1) Freshman year, shortly after being drafted, he was arrested for underage drinking.
No big surprise for a college kid to drink, underage or not.

2) They tried to sign him before senior year and he refused to, wanting to go back for a chance at the national title. Understandable, but I am sure Montreal is getting cranky now.

3) Senior year he ran hockey party on campus and sold to underage minors... Well, like I said. Life of a college kid. I am sure most college athletes do it... he got caught.

In the end, they prob thought he would be a problem case one way or another. Off ice issues even if its minor, drinking too much and not focused, wants to much money for what hes really worth. I think he is actually like 1.3 or 1.6 million a year. So ehhh, thats a lot for a guy who can be even a slight risk

They probably said, lets get him out and start over with our prospects. And a solid prospect they got. Mature hard working Thomas, who might very well be a solid NHL player. Kristo though, can be a superstar like McDonagh, Krug, Stepan...

I am glad for the trade though he will need to prove to me if hes focused for the big leagues

nrf83

May 6, 2004
golf course
just got off the course w/Kevin Shattenkirk; Kevin played one year with Kristo in USA program; according to Kevin, Kristo has Hagelin speed; is not afraid of going to the tough areas around the net, has unbelievable hands and is deadly serious about his hockey. He says AV is perfect coach for him and all NYR. Kevin also confirmed there is a rift between Arneil and Brassard though he wouldn't speculate on why, but he doesn't think it will be a problem because of AV.

Great report, makes me wonder why Montreal traded him, but I feel much better about trade now

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

MZA - Step - Nash
Hags - Brass - Cally
Kreider - Brad - Miller
Asham - Boyle - Dorsett
================
Haley - Powe - Pyatt

I dub thee CRISCO!

Bardof425*

MZA - Step - Nash
Hags - Brass - Cally
Kreider - Brad - Miller
Asham - Boyle - Dorsett
================
Haley - Powe - Pyatt

And you haven't put Lindberg, Kristo or Hrivik (which I might) in the lineup which means there are guys knocking on the door if any of these guys are injured or severally underperforming. I have a feeling there will be more moves but this lineup isn't bad up front.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005

1) Zuccarello is now a top 3 forward? He still hasn't played a full season's worth of NHL games. And while he was better than I thought he would be last year, I'm still not sold. His offensive creativity was a welcome addition because the team was by and large devoid of it. Is that more about the team or about Zuccarello?

2) We all love Hagelin but is he really a top 6 forward? Yes he can do it. But on a top team he's a perfect and excellent third liner. His career stats are what you want from a top 6 winger in a season.

3) The third line has some offensive potential but looks to be pretty bad defensively.

Hagelin or MZA playing on the top line doesn't mean they are top line forwards. Lines aren't created by putting your top 3 guys together on the 1st line followed by the 4th to 6th most talented forwards and so on. Its about finding balance and chemistry.

Hagelin is a guy who can play on any line and be effective in the right role.

MZA is a tough case. He could find a niche on the first line with Nash or on the 3rd line with Richards. Or find himself in Europe.

Agree about the 3rd line. Though I am hoping we should see a much different Richards, Kreider and Miller next year.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

Maybe it's a depth chart rather than actual lineup? In any case, I agree, too many what ifs, rookie what ifs no less. Some potential, but as it stands we need at least 2 rookies to do well for this forward group to be decent.

On a top team, nearly all our forwards would be down a line, hah.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad