Confirmed with Link: [NYR/MTL] Christian Thomas for Danny Kristo

richardsequalscup*

The reality is that Clark and crew are doing handstands about getting Kristo and have made it clear that losing Thomas was not a big deal at all. Given Clark's track record, I'm going to believe this trade was a total steal for the Rangers. Clark doesn't rave about trades too often.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
They have been watching this kid for years and had been trying to pry him away from the Habs for a while. The fact that they were able to is a good sign. They seem to have good luck making these types of trades. Brassard, Dorsett, Moore, McDonagh, Boyle are all examples.

ZacUSNYR

Mar 16, 2009
Upstate, NY
The 2008 draft was pretty good to the Rangers. MDZ, Stepan, Weise. Kundratek was in that draft as well. I'd like to think Kristo was scouted and was on our radar, but we took Stepan over him.

I hope his game transitions to the NHL

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I can say that I loved his game as a Freshman. Hated it as a Sophomore. Loved it as a Junior and Senior.

He has definitely improved his all around game and his skating is very good. He can pull moves at full speed and will attempt moves all the time. I think he is a legit top-6 forward on this team very soon.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
almost every sportswriter believes this trade is going to end up as bad for Montreal as the Gomez/Mcdonagh trade.

:laugh: Get ready to be disappointed. I realize the Habs got completely fleeced in the McDonagh deal and had a moron running the team at the time, but not every Habs-Rangers trade is going to end up that way. Just look at when the Habs got Kovalev and he had a few good years in Montreal. The Rangers picked Balej when they had a choice of Plekanec amongst others (as the story goes).

Every fan base is guilty of overrating their mediocre prospects, as I'm sure Habs fans did with Kristo and Rangers fans did with Thomas. Now it's just flipped the other way around. Kristo is already 23 years old (!) and has 9 AHL games under his belt in which he performed poorly. I think the Habs saw a problem with his character and didn't want him around anymore. Thomas is 21 and while he has a good shot his size holds him back. In two years he will be much further along than Kristo is now. I think both prospects have a half decent shot of making it but neither ends up having any real impact. Possibly like the D'Agostini-Palushaj trade the Habs and Blues made a while back. PS, my username is up for auction.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
:laugh: Get ready to be disappointed. I realize the Habs got completely fleeced in the McDonagh deal and had a moron running the team at the time, but not every Habs-Rangers trade is going to end up that way. Just look at when the Habs got Kovalev and he had a few good years in Montreal. The Rangers picked Balej when they had a choice of Plekanec amongst others (as the story goes).

Every fan base is guilty of overrating their mediocre prospects, as I'm sure Habs fans did with Kristo and Rangers fans did with Thomas. Now it's just flipped the other way around. Kristo is already 23 years old (!) and has 9 AHL games under his belt in which he performed poorly. I think the Habs saw a problem with his character and didn't want him around anymore. Thomas is 21 and while he has a good shot his size holds him back. In two years he will be much further along than Kristo is now. I think both prospects have a half decent shot of making it but neither ends up having any real impact. Possibly like the D'Agostini-Palushaj trade the Habs and Blues made a while back. PS, my username is up for auction.

Yup, you're probably right. Some Rangers fans are already penciling Kristo into a top 6 spot to start the season! While anything is possible, that does seem unlikely as his entire pro career amounts to 9 underwhelming games in the AHL. Both kids have some nice tools, but let's hold off judgement on who (if anyone) wins this trade for a couple years. As you say, it may very well be a lot to do about nothing.

Kershaw

I don't think Thomas had a future here anyways IMO, so it was good to get an asset for him in return.

SupersonicMonkey*

Mentioning Kristo being 23 as some sort of detraction from his worth is just misinformed.

He decided to play all four years at UND. It wasn't a case of him not being able to crack the Montreal lineup. Hagelin played all four years and he is working out just fine. Kristo's overall skill level is above Hagelin's. Both were top players for their school in their senior seasons.

Not all players need to be 20-21 year olds in their rookie NHL season.

Secondly, not all posters overhyped Thomas. Some of us were down on Thomas his entire tenure as a Rangers prospect. Some of us saw the flaws in his game and his stature and see this trade as a clear win for our organization's needs. Where Thomas is basically a top six scorer or bust, Kristo can slot up and down the lineup and may be effective in a variety of roles.

SupersonicMonkey*

I can say that I loved his game as a Freshman. Hated it as a Sophomore. Loved it as a Junior and Senior.

He has definitely improved his all around game and his skating is very good. He can pull moves at full speed and will attempt moves all the time. I think he is a legit top-6 forward on this team very soon.

The kid drove me nuts during USA's run to the Gold Medal. But he has become a better player over tge years.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010

Good. We need more of that. And by "more of that", I mean more from players who are actually capable. I'm not trying to say I was giddy when Gaborik or Richards were trying that stuff. I'll certainly be happy if we get more creative players on the team and AV builds a culture where that is accepted and encouraged.

I've gotten quite sick of the Rangers' timid style on offense over the past few years and making bottom-pairing D-men look like Chara. If Kristo is flying up the wing and sees one of the Flyers' scrubs staring him in the face, I don't want to watch a frickin dump-in. Make something happen!

Green Blob*

I think his game will translate very well to the pro level and im excited. Worst case I think he becomes a regular 3rd liner in the league, best case a 2nd liner.

This trade was a steal and a half since CT is very boom/bust whether he makes the NHL and my money is on bust.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad