Confirmed with Link: [NYR] Jimmy Vesey re-signs (2 years, $2.275M AAV)

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I think a late 2nd rounder is now a fair return for him.
Anything less than a 2nd, would be a waste if not a wash. He is more than a decent player, no superstar but really has grown with this team. He has come a very long way, and appears to be getting better.

Funny, when interviewed a ways back.....he considers himself a goalscorer. He still might surprise with 25+ someday and that would be SOLID if he were doing that on 3rd line, comprising a solid 3rd line. Every team needs players like that and his contract is very reasonable.
A mid 2nd is NO GUARANTEE he will turn out better than Veese.
Id no sooner put him IN to a deal involving Kevin for that mid 1st AND a top prospect. Or, an additive to get us a really high 1st with someone like Arizona, who we have a trading history with.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Like others have said, I'd trade him of I get a good offer.

On the other side though, he'll be a good 3rd liner going forward and is young enough where he can stay and grow with the team, so I have no issues keeping him.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
On pace for 25 goals from 3rd line minutes. Although, projections with Vesey don't work too well. He always seems to have a better front half than back half of the season, but I'd like to think he's prepared his body for the full season by now, with a few years to understand what is needed for 82.

Even 20 goals while averaging 15-17 mins is solid for under $3M cap hit, plus he brings a little attitude and grit. He sure wasn't getting a fair shake from the fan base to start this season.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
anyone is avail with an overpayment ? no ?

now were trading jimmy vc for a 4th or late 2nd ? thats um... underpayment peeps.

good lord.

It's always interesting to see how the board values players --- good or bad.

I feel like there are some guys we assume have a higher value around the league, and they really don't. Meanwhile, there are others who we propose trading for a fraction of what they'd return.

Reactions: NY Lito

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
11 points in the last 15 games now.

On pace for almost 30 goals, and 40+ points. Assists are hard to come by playing with Fast but he still putting up the points.

Contract looking like a nice steal.

Reactions: Rongomania

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

I feel like there are some guys we assume have a higher value around the league, and they really don't. Meanwhile, there are others who we propose trading for a fraction of what they'd return.

I always ask myself if the pick coming back is likely to be a better player than the player we're giving up.

In Vesey's case, a late 2nd isn't likely to turn out to be a better player than Vesey is. It's possible, but it's not likely.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017

There’s also the question: from whose perspective are we valuing the player? Some players, like Crosby or McDavid, have universally infinite value. Others have specific roles. A $6MM veteran with “intangibles” is worth more to a cup contender than he is to a rebuilding team.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
There’s also the question: from whose perspective are we valuing the player? Some players, like Crosby or McDavid, have universally infinite value. Others have specific roles. A $6MM veteran with “intangibles” is worth more to a cup contender than he is to a rebuilding team.

An excellent point, timing also influences value as well.

brians1128

Nov 1, 2016
Id like to move him for more speed. With Nylander back Kappanen is forced out of the top 6, Vesey is signed for one more year and Kappanen a RFA. They need to pay Mathews and Marner. If McQuaid can build some value up and Vesey stays on this goal pace I would push for targeting Kappanen but i dont feel they will move him mid season. I also like Sprong another righty winger who can skate. Pitt needs to shake it up Vesey fits Rutherfords hard working guys to compliment their top end skill. If the other teams would add a piece Id be ok with Bennett from Calgary or Wood from New Jersey. Neither is on Veseys pace but again could inject speed into the lineup

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
6 goals, 7 assists, 13 points in the last 18 games.

T-4th in points on the team.

Still on pace for 40+ points

Reactions: bl02

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
6 goals, 7 assists, 13 points in the last 18 games.

T-4th in points on the team.

Still on pace for 40+ points

Has had a terrific year and is gonna score 20 plus goals. We all know he isn't a top line player but he is an NHL player period. He's scored 16 and 17 goals in his first two seasons in this league and played really really well in the 2017 playoffs. For the most part got way more negative criticism than positive on here.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
He’s looked like a diff player this season... more effort consistently...

I’d still move him if the right deal was there because again nice players don’t get u the cup... elite players do (sort of like what was on display last night)

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
I've always been hard on Vesey and at this point I"m starting to think just appreciate he's always in the right spot because how often he doesn't score would always annoy me. He's converting more though, he's looking like a real pro this year. He seems to be one of those guys too who realizes who he is and what it take to play in this league. It looks like he knows he's a middle six winger who might get called upon if there's injuries and he knows that playing with some grit is going to benefit him and this team. I love the development I'm seeing out of this kid. Looks like the perfect depth/role player you see on Cup winning teams.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
He just seems to want it so bad. Wants to put in the work wants to be a difference maker. I like the kid. He’s having a real good year. let’s see what he does next year. Imo he would just slot in real well behind Panarin and Kreider. Solidifies the left side.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Panarin Zibanejad Kravstov
Kreider Chytil Buchnevich
Vesey Howden Strome
Beleskey Lias Fast

You maybe get a good forward prospect as part of the Hayes deal and you also get a stud in the top part of the draft to add to this group.

Probably let’s you move out Strome namestnikov or even Fast this summer. So three more potential trade pieces to continue the rebuild if you want to open up some spots.

I think jimmy stays a while longer for sure.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I can live with or without it. It's not bad for what he is, maybe a tad high in the AAV department, but the term is short and you can move him if someone comes along asking about him and get ok value for him as he has term beyond this year.

I'm fine with this, especially with the cap not being an issue at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad