Confirmed with Link: [NYR] Jimmy Vesey re-signs (2 years, $2.275M AAV)

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Over a quarter done with the season and Vesey is 5th in points, and 2nd in goals on the team.

This is the guy a handful of posters wanted no part of and said he should be the healthy scratch (PB).

Also with the majority of posters saying 2.2M was an overpayment...

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
66th overall and drafted by Nashville, but they refuse to sign him so somehow he ended up in New York.
Rangers signed him in the 2016-17 season is mainly based on our cup runs and Glen Sather sold off draft picks so they did not had the luxery to build their own team in the draft like Nashville at the time @The Crypto Guy

Besides on a good depth team in this league he is a good 4th line player in my view, but he have a good start of this season no doubts about that, and I don`t really know why both AV & Quinn over use him, and like the game vs Islanders he had 17 min ice time! Imagine how many pts he could have if he scored on his chances when the coach use him in a top 6 role as Quinn did beginning of this season. :)
So a brief explanation his skillset is very limited to be honest.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
66th overall and drafted by Nashville, but they refuse to sign him so somehow he ended up in New York.

Vesey refused to sign, not vice-versa.

Besides on a good depth team in this league he is a good 4th line player in my view, but he have a good start of this season no doubts about that, and I don`t really know why both AV & Quinn over use him, and like the game vs Islanders he had 17 min ice time! Imagine how many pts he could have if he scored on his chances when the coach use him in a top 6 role as Quinn did beginning of this season. :)
So a brief explanation his skillset is very limited to be honest.

The Predators wanted to sign him, and drafted him, because they thought he had top six potential. And here he is, in the top six, and second in goals on the team.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Do you know why Vesey refuse to sign in Nashville?
Yes he was projected to be a top 6 player back in 2012, but it seems he was almost forgotten in Nashville player management at the time so he went to the open market.

2016-17 GP 80 27 pts
2017-18 GP 79 28 pts

24 GP 12 pts is a good start with that production in previous seasons, but it`s not a top 6 potential player.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Do you know why Vesey refuse to sign in Nashville?
Yes he was projected to be a top 6 player back in 2012, but it seems he was almost forgotten in Nashville player management at the time so he went to the open market.

2016-17 GP 80 27 pts
2017-18 GP 79 28 pts

24 GP 12 pts is a good start with that production in previous seasons, but it`s not a top 6 potential player.
Which is why he is not being paid top 6 money.Hes a bottom 6 player who provides good offense down in the lineup,who can also slide into the top 6 when needed.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Nashville wanted Vesey. He didn't want Nashville so they traded him.

Buffalo wanted Vesey. He didn't want Buffalo and if I'm not mistaken THEY tried to trade him.

He got to UFA and the Rangers were fortunate to get a free asset and for all his warts, is a nice 3rd liner.

No player is perfect, hes got some issues, but if you get past all the bullspit that came with him from not signing with two teams and get past what he did in college, you will recognize that we have a nice asset.

He takes up a small % of the cap and will add 15-20 goals to go along with 30-40 points.

Not bad at all

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
I'd still trade vesey if a good offer was on the table.

I can't see how he finishes out his contract here. He's a UFA at the end of next season and while his contract won't be anything outrageous, I think he'd get offers beyond what the Rangers would really want to spend, especially as they should have a prospect or two pushing for his spot and his $$ could be better spent upgrading the roster elsewhere.
The fact that he's scoring and using his body a bit more should make him a relatively attractive depth piece for a team looking to make a playoff run

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Nashville wanted Vesey. He didn't want Nashville so they traded him.

Buffalo wanted Vesey. He didn't want Buffalo and if I'm not mistaken THEY tried to trade him.

He got to UFA and the Rangers were fortunate to get a free asset and for all his warts, is a nice 3rd liner.

No player is perfect, hes got some issues, but if you get past all the bullspit that came with him from not signing with two teams and get past what he did in college, you will recognize that we have a nice asset.

He takes up a small % of the cap and will add 15-20 goals to go along with 30-40 points.

Not bad at all
Nashville definitely tried to sign him. They even tried to say Vesey mislead them about wanting to sign there, causing them to not get another forward at the deadline.

Buffalo did indeed trade for him.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
For what you get back for him I'd probably just prefer to keep him. 3rd or 4th line, chip in some goals unless ofcourse he wants too much to resign next year.

Reactions: Larrybiv

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
value is higher than it has ever been, and will likely not get any higher given his age and contract.

yes 25 is young, but there is value in still having perceived peak years ahead of you.

Trade him at the deadline and try to fleece a desperate GM into overpaying

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Throw in with Hayes....anything above a 4th for Vesey is a dream
Need more than that. 25, he's on pace for a 20G/40P season (currently), and has year left of team control for cheap after this. Need more than a 4th. A 4th doesn't have much value. Vesey has more value to us as being cheap, controlled, a relative veteran, and fairly productive.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Need more than that. 25, he's on pace for a 20G/40P season (currently), and has year left of team control for cheap after this. Need more than a 4th. A 4th doesn't have much value. Vesey has more value to us as being cheap, controlled, a relative veteran, and fairly productive.

I could see a team like Dallas liking him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad