Dreger: NYR interested in Rickard Rakell, JT Miller & Ben Chiarot

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Panarin and Mika aren’t getting younger. Kreider is having a career year. The goaltending is beyond spectacular. The Rangers should take advantage of this opportunity right now. Two playoffs with Miller right now is wise. In two years will the Rangers be this good?
NO correct opportunity is to max compete window and NOT move most young talent esp bluest blue chip elcs.
Also cannot afford Miller next yr, cap would force he be dealt. Paying understandable premium asked for 2 yrs contract w'zero ability cap wise to extend and getting 1 yr only is not smart.

Chairot for Georgiev and 1st
NO
Die idiot theory of Chariot to Rangers, unless it is small reasonable add and it is Nemeth smaller $ but multi-year for expiring Chariot

Rakell played well with zib in the past… prob makes a lot of sense
bold is true, but depending on currency going the other way, more likely NY better off holding on to youth.

To return an “elite” player the Rangers will need to move a young player with “elite” potential. Or, the Rangers wait and hope their current top players continue to perform at their current levels, while their young guys become contributors to winning. It’s a risk vs reward gamble. 100% Rangers choice.
The underlined is plausible, but not set in stone. Also multiple high pieces are enuf for a superior piece, assuming it makes sense for one team to move and the other to acquire. Due to cap super crunch next year, most deals for NYR do not make sense.

As to bold, will take option of standing pat with emerging youth, hold assets, not gamble IF a guy will return to high form and keep max extended window.

Kreider + Zib should hold up for 3 years. Breadman may start to breakdown but he does not have long term beyond this 3. Trouba will be dealt immediately once we can b'c of cap. Schneider will replace. Nils L fits Schneid's spot. Jones can go now if return is sufficiently high, or we can play next year and up his value first. Ideally we replace Strome w/Krav + more mins to Chytil and Barron. We will be ready to deal w/moving on from Panarin well before if we don't do anything stupid that constrains cap and roster flexibility

Lafreniere, Schneider and Kakko aren't getting traded. All are important parts of the team going forward. I don't think either Othmann or Cuylle are available.

Available pieces are Lundkvist, Jones, Robertson, Chytil, Barron, Gauthier, 1st, NYR 2nd, St. Louis 2nd. And other lesser players, prospects and picks.
Agree w/underline.
Concerned you may be right about the bold, hoping they don't go there.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
I think it's highly possible. He's got the best offensive skillset out of all the Rangers prospects. He's also a luxury item considering he's behind two players not going anywhere (Fox, Trouba) and a third that fits what they're lacking in size (Schneider).

I've been getting blasted by Rangers fans this whole time for acknowledging what Schneider is - he's a strapping young RHD with good size who can skate, but is not particularly dynamic. This is not Mo Seider for pete's sake.
Don't get me wrong, he's a beauty and a great young defenseman. But he's kind of like a young Hamonic or Luke Schenn.

Vancouver prefers Schneider because he's exactly what the roster is missing. But there is a very real chance that Lundkvist ends up the better player. The problem is that the Canucks have had some pretty bad luck with smallish right-shot OFDs from Sweden (I doubt fans from other teams remember Philip Larsen). We also moved off from Troy Stecher for a reason...

If the Canucks had some bigger bodies on the backend (who aren't playing too high in the lineup like Poolman and/or getting aged out like Hamonic and Schenn) they would absolutely prefer Nils Lundkvist. But we have nothing like Schneider, so we're all wide eyed about him.

Unfortunately, he's played too well for NYR in recent weeks. I see essentially zero chance he gets traded.
But that likely also means that NYR are not getting JT Miller.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Rangers are very close to being serious contender but I think they are not quite there yet. I don’t think rental should be an option but Miller makes some sense .
Lindholm and Miller however both together though .. ya that might make the difference. Either go big or just hold off until next year as they will / should be contenders for awhile

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Tampa underpaid forsure. But we're talking about a player Top 12 in scoring in his prime and an insane contract. As good as McDonagh was, Miller is on another level.

Ryan McDonough had a great contract with 1.5 years left on it as well. He was a bonafide 1D. Miller is not on another level... come on now. They are quite comparable.

Reactions: Kupo

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I think it's highly possible. He's got the best offensive skillset out of all the Rangers prospects. He's also a luxury item considering he's behind two players not going anywhere (Fox, Trouba) and a third that fits what they're lacking in size (Schneider).
If trouba isn’t gone in a year, 2max I’d be shocked.... Schneider will be ready for top 4 duty, and trouba will still have value at 30 years old, with only 2 years left on his contract...
They are going to need to shift Trouba’s cap hit elsewhere in the line up.
Big physical top 4 RD that hit and can move the puck will always be in demand for playoff teams...
Hopefully trouba continues to play the best he has in his career, right as his NMC switches to a MNTC...
Rangers will have no problem trading trouba with 2-3 years left on his current deal... especially considering how crazy the Defenseman market was in free agency this past summer with the flat cap.
Fox and Schneider are going to be the rangers top 4RD for a long long time...

I can see van being interested in Robertson, but he’s a LD.
He’s another big kid that can skate, shoot and move the puck.
If the rangers are smart, they’ll keep all of Schneider, Miller, Robertson.
That’s a lot of size/Speed and skill to go along with Fox/shesty

Last edited:

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
2 goals and the overtime winner will help settle the value for Chariot

chariot would be fine with Schneider on 3rd pair.
But no way is he worth a 1st to play 3rd pair minutes, and the cap situation means he’s purely a rental and won’t be a ranger beyond this season....
No way Drury pays a 1st for that....

Mergatroidskittle

Dec 26, 2015
I'm personally not targeting Miller. I'm telling you what is available for Miller. If that isn't to your liking, then there's no deal to be made. Move on.
We aren’t trying to sell him to you. Your team is calling us…rangers fans can try denying that all they want lol

Reactions: Diamonddog01

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Tampa underpaid forsure. But we're talking about a player Top 12 in scoring in his prime and an insane contract. As good as McDonagh was, Miller is on another level.

Ryan McDonough had a great contract with 1.5 years left on it as well. He was a bonafide 1D. Miller is not on another level... come on now. They are quite comparable.

McDonagh was the same age as JTM when he got traded. Both were signed go great contracts as well (4.7M for McD and 5.25M for JTM). How they’re not similar is mind boggling.

Reactions: Barnaby

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
McDonagh was the same age as JTM when he got traded. Both were signed go great contracts as well (4.7M for McD and 5.25M for JTM). How they’re not similar is mind boggling.
Because McDonagh wasnt playing for Vancouver at the time. In C.C's eyes, Canuck players are way better and more valuable than any other in the league and would only take a king's ransom to pry them away.

Don't even waste your time. C.C is a on a completely different planet when it comes to being a homer.

Reactions: Kupo

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Umm we have multiple threads of rangers fans saying they have no interest in Miller even without Schneider
You just said Rangers fans are denying the team has interest in Miller. I haven’t seen a single Rangers fan deny that.

Your team is calling us…rangers fans can try denying that all they want lol

Most Rangers fans realize we’re not a JT Miller away from being a legit contender. Nor can we afford to extend him. That’s why a lot of us don’t want to see us try and acquire him.

Whitebear

Nov 19, 2008
Fishin the Skeena
You just said Rangers fans are denying the team has interest in Miller. I haven’t seen a single Rangers fan deny that.

Most Rangers fans realize we’re not a JT Miller away from being a legit contender. Nor can we afford to extend him. That’s why a lot of us don’t want to see us try and acquire him.
Not a Rangers fan but I disagree a little. I think when you have a goalie doing what yours is this year and you’re close - you go for it. No guarantees that Shesterkin ever has another season like this and the Rangers aren’t getting any younger. If I’m them, this is the year to throw your hat in the ring.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Not a Rangers fan but I disagree a little. I think when you have a goalie doing what yours is this year and you’re close - you go for it. No guarantees that Shesterkin ever has another season like this and the Rangers aren’t getting any younger. If I’m them, this is the year to throw your hat in the ring.
The Rangers aren’t really getting old either, so mortgaging a lot of youth for Miller (who doesn’t put us over the top) is a foolish and unnecessary gamble.

Igor has been elite in every league he’s played in so while he might not ever have as great a season as this, he should maintain an elite level of play for awhile.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
This will be the Rangers first year back in the playoffs. We have a very young team and hopefully a long window of contending. We aren't going to go all in now. Add 1 or 2 depth pieces and address the 2C spot in the offseason.
bold: concur underline: plausbile

This is called an appeal to authority. The hockey insiders aren't always right. If he does get a 1st, it won't be from the Rangers. I can tell you that. Any LD we add will play on the 3rd pair. Even Drury isn't stupid enough to pay a 1st rounder for that.
yes

In three years, if the Rangers make no additions and have the younger guys start to take over from their current top guys, will they be better than now?
better
The goalie will still be great. Fix will still be great. But will Trouba, Kreider, Panarin, Mika still be at their current level?
Trouba will be gone b'c cap. Kreider will be here, still good, and maybe take a small cut to stay. Mika should be good halfway into his deal at min, but half fast his game goes if his wheels are gone is a real concern, but no reason to think that is happening sooner than later. Breadman approx where he is now for next 2 years, last coupla seasons small/steady drop, but that is just a guess. He's gone after this yr, b'c we can't renew him anywhere near the 10+ we gave him, and we will be lucky to have 6m to offer, which he will decline. But we are fine with all that. Youth replaces vets and we are ok.

Maybe the Rangers best window to win a Cup is these next two years?
no, it is not, that is short sided and attempts to direct this as the narrative will be challenged

Trouba and Kreider both have their NMCs end in 2 years, after which they are tradeable. Schneider is the long term replacement for Trouba. Hopefully one of Othmann or Cuylle can replace Kreider's goal scoring. Or maybe Laf can learn to play Kreider's role on the PP. He had a nice deflection goal recently and another goal off a rebound just outside the blue paint.

Our only real issue long term is 2C, and we have limited cap space next year to fill that position. We can clear some space if we trade Chytil and/or Nemeth. Nemeth should be gone regardless.

Short term, we need a RW and maybe a LD. Adding someone like Rakell makes sense. He can score goals, play RW and is on an expiring contract. If we are adding anyone with term, they need to be a center. Preferably, a good 2 way center. We are more likely to address that need in the summer, I think.

Again, we aren't going all in. We should not be treating this as a 1 or 2 year window to win. We are one of the youngest teams in the league and have a bunch of young players who have yet to peak. Older players will be moved eventually, whether they maintain their current play or not. That's just the way it is with the salary cap. Teams need a steady influx of young talent to remain contenders while staying under the cap. Which is exactly why Schneider will not be traded.
Agree w/all of this, except we shouldn't be quick to move Chytil, esp as he is our immediate 2C when Strome goes, whether he is a stopgap or they get some Ws for him and he fully arrives.

Too much for a pending UFA who has 54 points in his last 98 games. You aren't getting 3 pieces for him. It will be a 1st or a 2nd and a B prospect (someone worse than Berard).
concur

The Rangers should not be trading a 1st round pick for a rental.
concur

Chiarot will take a 1st, and Miller will take Schneider. Theres no deal to be made otherwise.
We do not want Chariot unless only small add + you are taking Nemeth. I get you prob have better offers, so good luck there, but that is only move re Chariot that makes sense for NYR. Have to pay to move Nemeth and if Chariot is cheap then ok for depth even as an expiring rental. Otherwise no.

WE CAN'T AFFORD MILLER. He is 2 yrs. this season not even a remote prob.
Next season, it's unbelievably tight. Setting aside anything else, paying top top $ for 2 years of JT when we can only keep him for 1 and would have to move him after, and take a loss b'c the whole league will see it and can do the math, is not smart.

Schneider is off the table. Pls stop asking.

Sheesh Rangers fans want to give up
nothing for value whatsoever. You have to give to get folks, you aren’t getting top 15 forwards or top 4 defencemen for 3rd round picks and busting prospects lol.
In the totality of circumstances, we do not want to get.

If those are the available pieces then dont target players like Miller. Maybe target lesser players like Boeser. I would trade Boser for Lundkvist and a 1st.
We are NOT targeting Miller. clickbait. We can't afford him next year. If Drury makes idiot move and gets him anyway, there will be very painful cap consequences, likely including forced trade(s) of LaF/Kakko, and being forced, returns would be lowered.
So no, bern is right, and what beat writers are reporting may yet happen, but it is wrong if it does. I would ultimately be proven correct.

We don't want Chiarot at all, and we don't want Miller at the proposed price. If we don't get either as a result, we are perfectly fine with it. Yes, you have to give to get, but there's also such as thing as considering the price too high and not being willing to pay it. That's where we are at in regards to Miller. We aren't going to pay what you want. Get over it.
Verbatim. yes.

I haven’t heard too many Ranger fans pining for Miller. It’s more Canuck fans telling us we need him and that he’s an elite top line forward. They then demand Schneider. Ranger fans decline. Canuck fans then go off the rails saying Ranger fans don’t want to move anything of value when we didn’t start the conversation to begin with.
accurate.

If i'm giving up a 1st or Lundkvist-level prospect for a player (let alone both or more), it's someone like Yanni Gourde who'd be under contract at an affordable rate for multiple seasons. Not a 6-7 D like Chiarot. Not a JT Miller the team can't afford to re-sign. Not a Rickard Rakell who doesn't have a place in the Rangers top 6 when the team is healthy, assuming he is even at that level anymore. Not an Arturi Lehkonen who's not even at 1/2 PPG & will want a raise in a role the Rangers don't need.
Agree w/most of this.

Okay so if Chiarot is better and Savard went for a 1st+ its likely to assume chairot gets similar value. Now that could be Kravstov and a pick it could be an actual 1st. It could be from a different team but you never know.
Stop, no bluest blue chips. NO.
Maybe Jones now for the right deal to free up mins for Nils L.

True, but they aren't that old, either. Kreider and Panarin are 30, Zib and Strome are 28. Kreider is having a career year and I don't see Panarin or Zib falling off a cliff any time soon. Strome will likely be gone.

And some of our best players are younger. Fox and Shesty have many more good years ahead of them.

If our young guys step up, we can eventually trade players like Kreider and Trouba, recoup some assets, and keep the train running for years to come. That's how good teams stay good.
Yes, tho I'd hope to extend Kreider for a bit less.

I know you weren’t addressing me, but I’ll answer. Depending on the market, I could see Chiarot getting 1st. However, I don’t want the Rangers to pay it for two reasons. 1. I don’t think the Rangers are a Chiarot away from a Cup. 2. The Rangers have much bigger holes to fill than a 3rd pairing LD. They currently have Dylan Hunt in the top 6. Strome is a one dimensional center. Chytil is not a center.
Agree w/all this except Chytil assessment.

would you move Kakko for Miller?
Hell no.

I just can't stand seeing Dryden Hunt on the second line with Panarin. It's so beyond gross.
In the playoffs, Goodrow is gonna play other W w/Panarin and make sure he doesn't get mauled.

The Rangers?

or Ranger fans on internet message boards?

Because there has been like 10 multiple reports that the Rangers want Miller badly
'The reports are IRRELEVANT. Math does not lie. We cannot acquire Miller, even at half, w/o signif cap consequences next season.
The closest is we deal Lindgren in part of a trade and get JT at half. But then we have used Lindy's cap, and when we need scratch for Kakko + LaF deals + we do not have it. So no.

excellent news, confirming JT won't be rejoining NYR

Laf and Schneider shouldn't go anywhere, they are the emerging core

Miller, too,
NYR should only consider moving Miller for a very unique return of comparable talent, upside, age and control, at a position of true need.
And Kings are not moving Byfield.
THAT is not a proposal. Just an informed perspective on NYR situation.

NYR can fill their needs, for this promising, but not top-Cup-contender, season, by spending less for less.
Thanks guys
All of this esp da bold

Rangers have a lot of really good young pieces that should all be kept. Small adds at the deadline to reward the team for a strong year should be the most they do. Their window is just opening up, they have time on their side.

He is puck moving but his calling card is steady in his own zone. People often misjudge where Nils' strengths are. He is getting acclimated to the smaller rink and playing very well in the A; he played pretty well for the Rangers before the team decided to take a look at Schneider and Jones.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
bold: concur underline: plausbile

yes

In three years, if the Rangers make no additions and have the younger guys start to take over from their current top guys, will they be better than now?
better
The goalie will still be great. Fix will still be great. But will Trouba, Kreider, Panarin, Mika still be at their current level?
Trouba will be gone b'c cap. Kreider will be here, still good, and maybe take a small cut to stay. Mika should be good halfway into his deal at min, but half fast his game goes if his wheels are gone is a real concern, but no reason to think that is happening sooner than later. Breadman approx where he is now for next 2 years, last coupla seasons small/steady drop, but that is just a guess. He's gone after this yr, b'c we can't renew him anywhere near the 10+ we gave him, and we will be lucky to have 6m to offer, which he will decline. But we are fine with all that. Youth replaces vets and we are ok.

Maybe the Rangers best window to win a Cup is these next two years?
no, it is not, that is short sided and attempts to direct this as the narrative will be challenged

Agree w/all of this, except we shouldn't be quick to move Chytil, esp as he is our immediate 2C when Strome goes, whether he is a stopgap or they get some Ws for him and he fully arrives.

concur

concur

We do not want Chariot unless only small add + you are taking Nemeth. I get you prob have better offers, so good luck there, but that is only move re Chariot that makes sense for NYR. Have to pay to move Nemeth and if Chariot is cheap then ok for depth even as an expiring rental. Otherwise no.

WE CAN'T AFFORD MILLER. He is 2 yrs. this season not even a remote prob.
Next season, it's unbelievably tight. Setting aside anything else, paying top top $ for 2 years of JT when we can only keep him for 1 and would have to move him after, and take a loss b'c the whole league will see it and can do the math, is not smart.

Schneider is off the table. Pls stop asking.

In the totality of circumstances, we do not want to get.

We are NOT targeting Miller. clickbait. We can't afford him next year. If Drury makes idiot move and gets him anyway, there will be very painful cap consequences, likely including forced trade(s) of LaF/Kakko, and being forced, returns would be lowered.
So no, bern is right, and what beat writers are reporting may yet happen, but it is wrong if it does. I would ultimately be proven correct.

Verbatim. yes.

accurate.

Agree w/most of this.

Stop, no bluest blue chips. NO.
Maybe Jones now for the right deal to free up mins for Nils L.

Yes, tho I'd hope to extend Kreider for a bit less.

Agree w/all this except Chytil assessment.

Hell no.

In the playoffs, Goodrow is gonna play other W w/Panarin and make sure he doesn't get mauled.

'The reports are IRRELEVANT. Math does not lie. We cannot acquire Miller, even at half, w/o signif cap consequences next season.
The closest is we deal Lindgren in part of a trade and get JT at half. But then we have used Lindy's cap, and when we need scratch for Kakko + LaF deals + we do not have it. So no.

All of this esp da bold
All I have to say is…. Really?! C’mon man.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Savard did last year and Chiarot is better.....

100% Ben gets a 1st unless Gordon wants a prospect back

Chiarot isn't better than Savard. Savard was an established and legitimate top-4 defender in Columbus. One who had a 10+ goal 30+ season in years past.

Chiarot was a fringe top-4 guy, more so regarded as a bottom pairing guy that could play up in a pinch.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
We don't want Chiarot at all, and we don't want Miller at the proposed price. If we don't get either as a result, we are perfectly fine with it. Yes, you have to give to get, but there's also such as thing as considering the price too high and not being willing to pay it. That's where we are at in regards to Miller. We aren't going to pay what you want. Get over it.

thanks for the update Mr Drury

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad