Dreger: NYR interested in Rickard Rakell, JT Miller & Ben Chiarot

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Panarin and Mika aren’t getting younger. Kreider is having a career year. The goaltending is beyond spectacular. The Rangers should take advantage of this opportunity right now. Two playoffs with Miller right now is wise. In two years will the Rangers be this good?
Imagine what 2 playoff runs of Scheifele would add to that team.
Jets would likely have to take Strome back for NYR cap reasons, but I’m positive a deal including Schneider could be worked out.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
3-4 best players***. Zib, Krieder, and Panarin are the important ones. They are all 29-31.

That's OK.

The only deal that will bite us in the ass is Mika hopefully 3+ years down the line.

In goal, we are set

Average age of D (with Trouba and Nemeth) is under 25, lower when you move Nemeth or Hajek for Jones.

Average age of the forward group WITH Panarin, Kreider, Zibanejad, Strome and Goodrow, Reaves and Kegger is 27 (rounded up)

Strome, McKegg and possible CK can all be gone as soon as this summer.

I'm not worried even a little about the age make up of this team

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
He's not better than any of Trouba, Miller, Fox, or Lindgren. And i wouldn't play him over Schneider, bc honestly if Schneider isn't already better than Chiarot, he will be in short order.

I’m not sure thats true, I suspect you haven’t watched him play much and I don’t know a whole lot about Lindgren or Miller. Watched Trouba a lot and have never been a fan.

Listen, all good if you love your D, if they are all better then Chiarot plus your goaltending then you have the best backend in hockey. Does make
me wonder why your goalie has to be out of this world in front of such a great d core.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Jarnkrok and Rakell make the most sense

Continually checking in on Miller is good due diligence but there isn't a deal there to be had

Chairot will go to someone willing to meet Montreal's high asking price. There doesn't seem to be as much decent veteran D available this TDL.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Eichel couldn't get Drysdale so I would hope nobody thinks Miller return one of those.

Miller is almost certainly a better player and asset (contract considerations) than Eichel right now with less risk. He doesn't have the name recognition but he's simply among the best players in the game. He's also maybe the most versatile player, playing all positions, great on faceoffs, brings all the tools of speed, power/physicality, finesse, shot and passing, specialty teams play, high pace and intensity. As an asset I'd rate him at least a tier above Eichel, and that might be generous to Eichel.

Reactions: VancouverJagger

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Imagine what 2 playoff runs of Scheifele would add to that team.
Jets would likely have to take Strome back for NYR cap reasons, but I’m positive a deal including Schneider could be worked out.
Rangers have 30 m in cap so why would they need to take Strome back?

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Miller is almost certainly a better player and asset (contract considerations) than Eichel right now with less risk. He doesn't have the name recognition but he's simply among the best players in the game. He's also maybe the most versatile player, playing all positions, great on faceoffs, brings all the tools of speed, power/physicality, finesse, shot and passing, specialty teams play, high pace and intensity. As an asset I'd rate him at least a tier above Eichel, and that might be generous to Eichel.

How quickly people forget how good Eichel was.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
No, because of the contract status. I think Kakko is gonna be great but there's risk that he won't be and we know what Miller is. So, the value is there but KK is 20 and cheap for now so, no.

Its a bit weird comparing Miller's 5.25 to Laf and Kakko's ELCs when you think it through. Obviously, Miller is better now, but if Laf or Kakko start playing pretty well, they'll hit bonuses and won't have a cap hit that much lower than Miller ($5.25 vs. 3.575/3.775). Laf and Miller have the same term under contract (with Laf having RFA control years). Kakko is obviously an RFA, highly touted but whose play hasn't matched. Not sure where that ends up.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Lafreniere, Schneider, or K’Andre for JT? Absolutely not. Those 3 are the future of NYR and are extremely valuable right now as contributors on their ELC’s

Reactions: Mac n Gs

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
"If the Rangers decide that their first-rounder should be spent on a defenseman (highly unlikely, but hey, we have to discuss it), Mark Giordano is on their radar."

Same article, for all those who keep acting like the Rangers need to waste a 1st round pick on an anchor like Ben Chiarot (who, btw, isn't mentioned once in the article)

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Neither Schneider or K'andre Miller are even true A prospects, maybe A-. They're fine, but don't really move the pulse for me. Also regardless of what Rangers fans on HF boards thinks, certainly sounds like your management is continuing to pursue JT, so maybe you're the ones who are out of touch with reality. They might even think they ARE cup contenders.
K’Andre and Schneider aren’t A pieces. Those are guys like Makar and Fox. But K’Andre and Schneider are both future top pair defenseman, no question at this point

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
The Canucks have alot of teams to jump over. They are in striking distance but still likely not to be a playoff team.
They aren't going to trade Miller if they are in striking distance when he is signed for next reason.
Literally no reason to do so.
The Canucks have 8 games before the deadline - if they continue their overall trend since Bruce took over within that time, they're in the playoffs.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Never say never.

I remember when the Rangers were auctioning off Ryan McDonagh. A lot of Ranger fans were insistent that a big time prospect - Point or Sergachev - would be involved. We got back Howden and Hajek...
Tampa underpaid forsure. But we're talking about a player Top 12 in scoring in his prime and an insane contract. As good as McDonagh was, Miller is on another level.

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
Lafreniere, Schneider and Kakko aren't getting traded. All are important parts of the team going forward. I don't think either Othmann or Cuylle are available.

Available pieces are Lundkvist, Jones, Robertson, Chytil, Barron, Gauthier, 1st, NYR 2nd, St. Louis 2nd. And other lesser players, prospects and picks.

K. We’ll take all of that

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Be funny if in a few years that Lundqvist is the best player out of all this… surpassing Schneider, etc.

I think it's highly possible. He's got the best offensive skillset out of all the Rangers prospects. He's also a luxury item considering he's behind two players not going anywhere (Fox, Trouba) and a third that fits what they're lacking in size (Schneider).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad