Confirmed with Link: NYR claim Cody McLeod

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
He's a NHL body. Preds creating cap space ahead of the deadline? Intriguing.

My first thought was that his cap hit would be buried in the minors, but since Nashville has an internal cap I suppose that’s a valid line of thinking. Maybe Gorton is throwing him a favor ahead of the TDL? Then again, it’s weird to think that Poile’s buying power is so stringent that $800,000 divorced from the cap would be a meaningful amount for wiggle room in this line of business.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Bad hockey player, bad hockey team. It doesn't matter, as long as he plays like 6 minutes per game, and only takes the spot of someone like Holland.

But with AV as coach, if this team gets in the playoffs, he might be playing over our second leading scorer.

Reactions: Inferno

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I first I was like "Oh hell yeah we got McLeod!"

And then I realized that it was the bad McLeod and that we never trade with NJ.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I dunno... complaining about this is like being on a plane with 3 of 4 engines out and complaining about the coffee service.

Pretty much the way I feel. We've been playing very poorly for like two months now and are dealing with some crippling injuries. Why care about the brand of BBQ sauce on a rancid, maggot-infested, roadkill burger?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Even thinking we're not making the playoffs I still every night like to see my team win. That being said worrying about how many minutes McLeod gets and how many minutes someone else gets---who cares?--really. Are we going anywhere? I don't think so. People worrying about draft position also worrying that McLeod might play more than Buchnevich. WTF!!??! Really!!?!! McLeod might get us to better draft position. So AV can play him on the first line for all I care. This season pretty much has a fork stuck in it so does it matter that much whether this guy or that pads his stats? It doesn't matter a whole lot to me.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
I dunno... complaining about this is like being on a plane with 3 of 4 engines out and complaining about the coffee service.

This org. Is embarrassing themselves now. There are so many more greater needs. Sadly they can't even produce energy bottom 6 players within the organization.

They have to go outside for everyone. ..

Alot of people need to lose their jobs in this org6.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If the Rangers trade away players like Grabner, Nash and possibly even Zuccarello who is going to play in the NHL? Sometimes it pays to have a guy who can, at the very least, stick up for his teammates should someone attempt to take advantage of them in a vulnerable position. If the team isn't going anywhere this season I have no issue playing McLeod on the 4th line and bringing up Chytil and Andersson.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
This org. Is embarrassing themselves now. There are so many more greater needs. Sadly they can't even produce energy bottom 6 players within the organization.

They have to go outside for everyone. ..

Alot of people need to lose their jobs in this org6.
This is what u get when u CONSTANTLY trade away picks (not just #1 picks... but tons of them all over the place). Time to reap what you sow.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This is what u get when u CONSTANTLY trade away picks (not just #1 picks... but tons of them all over the place). Time to reap what you sow.
My thoughts exactly. The depleted system is a result of years of Sather's "Lion or Mouse" trades.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Best case scenario your team goes off. NSH went off as soon as #55 was added, but this season he's been only a goon who kills any attack you could imagine.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
This claim was worth it for the whinging and over reaction posts alone. :laugh:

If they were going to bring in a guy like this for whatever reason, I'm glad they did it with a waiver claim and not by expending a pick at the deadline a la John Scott.

As for the reasoning itself? Could be anything. Regardless of what it is, this is a non issue and people are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Probably just a press-box replacement for Catenacci.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Putting my tinfoil hat on:

I wonder if other teams were interested in McLeod for a late round pick but wanted to wait until the deadline to make any move.
Nashville wanted to move him to recoup as much cap space as possible prior to the deadline
The Rangers decided to scoop him up knowing that they can use the body for now and then flip him at the deadline

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
All you tough guys out there sitting behind your computers. WHEN THE RANGERS START CALLING UP THEIR PRIZED KIDS FROM THE MINORS WHO WOULD STAND UP FOR THEM AND DETER THEM HAVING CHEAP SHOTS TAKEN AT GHEM OR BEING RUN. WHOM? I bet McLeod will fill that role. Someone needs to keep guys on the other team honest and protect the kids. DID YOU WATCH THE KINGS GAME?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad