Proposal: NYR-CGY

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
I wouldnt want Hamonic for free, he’s exactly the type of player Rangers should steer clear from.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
If Calgary trades Bennett for a pick they now need another forward when they already need 1 or likely two as it is.

It makes no sense to move Bennett for a pick at all.

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
Late first round pick, Day and Ronning for Bennett sounds pretty fair. Clagary can throw in a third or 4th if need be.

Hard pass. I’d much rather wait and see what those three pieces develop into over the next few years than keep my fingers crossed in the hopes of Bennett breaking out. Is it more likely that he will be a solid NHLer down the road than any one of the 1st, Day, and Ronning? Sure. But I would steer far clear from dealing a handful of mildly intriguing pieces for a borderline reclamation project.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Hard pass. I’d much rather wait and see what those three pieces develop into over the next few years than keep my fingers crossed in the hopes of Bennett breaking out. Is it more likely that he will be a solid NHLer down the road than any one of the 1st, Day, and Ronning? Sure. But I would steer far clear from dealing a handful of mildly intriguing pieces for a borderline reclamation project.

He is a disappointment for a top 5 pick but he is 21 and even in his own draft he is still a top 10-15 forward. You cant get someone like him at the bottom of the first.

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
He is a disappointment for a top 5 pick but he is 21 and even in his own draft he is still a top 10-15 forward. You cant get someone like him at the bottom of the first.

But the Rangers don’t need someone like him at all. They have tons of depth at center in the pipeline and could easily get someone of Bennett’s caliber in free agency if need be. Besides, you certainly can get someone like him at the bottom of the first. People in this very thread are using Ryan Hartman as a comparable to Bennett, and he was picked 30th OA in 2013. Pastrnak was picked 25th overall in the same draft as Bennett. I was just saying that I’d rather hold onto three assets who potentially have fairly low floors and fairly high ceilings, instead of giving them up for one player whose ceiling looms with each passing season.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
But the Rangers don’t need someone like him at all. They have tons of depth at center in the pipeline and could easily get someone of Bennett’s caliber in free agency if need be. Besides, you certainly can get someone like him at the bottom of the first. People in this very thread are using Ryan Hartman as a comparable to Bennett, and he was picked 30th OA in 2013. Pastrnak was picked 25th overall in the same draft as Bennett. I was just saying that I’d rather hold onto three assets who potentially have fairly low floors and fairly high ceilings, instead of giving them up for one player whose ceiling looms with each passing season.

Yes you can get someone like Pastrnak at the end of the first round...You can do that once every 20 yrs!!!!

You would be lucky to get someone like Hartman at the end of the 1st round and it's debatable if he is any better than Bennett...I maybe bias but I'll take Bennett over him any day

I am just talking value not for the Rangers...it's ok if they dont want him...the Flames dont want to trade him for a pick

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
Yes you can get someone like Pastrnak at the end of the first round...You can do that once every 20 yrs!!!!

That’s not the point. There are multiple NHLers that come out of the late-first round every single year, often players better than Bennett has shown himself to be. Before 2017, the Rangers’ last first-rounder was Brady Skjei in 2012, 28th OA. I know that the chances of the Boston or Tampa picks being the next Pastrnak or Kuznetsov or Rackell are slim-to-none, but I’d rather take that chance than give it away along with other pieces for Bennett.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
That’s not the point. There are multiple NHLers that come out of the late-first round every single year, often players better than Bennett has shown himself to be. Before 2017, the Rangers’ last first-rounder was Brady Skjei in 2012, 28th OA. I know that the chances of the Boston or Tampa picks being the next Pastrnak or Kuznetsov or Rackell are slim-to-none, but I’d rather take that chance than give it away along with other pieces for Bennett.

You can do whatever you want but you are not getting my point, there is no reason for the Flames to trade Bennett for a low pick that if they get lucky they find someone like him.

I think we agree no deal on both sides

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
You can do whatever you want but you are not getting my point, there is no reason for the Flames to trade Bennett for a low pick that if they get lucky they find someone like him.

I think we agree no deal on both sides

I wasn’t saying anything about whether the proposal was good for the Flames. I was saying it’s bad for the Rangers. Both teams should develop the pieces they have now.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I was thinking of sliding Bennett to wing as a 2nd-3rd line role. Could use a fresh start, but has not been performing as a #4 pick should be. His value is nowhere near as high as a few years ago and the flames want a first. Though it could be something that would interest Gorton.
Bennett has been LW for the majority of the season, he was pushed to LW after the Flames recalled Jankowski. All it really did is reduce the number of stupid penalties he takes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad