Confirmed Trade: [NYR/CAR] Rangers trade Joey Keane to Hurricanes for Julien Gauthier

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Not sure if it's been asked but-how NHL ready is Keane? Are we talking a legit shot at a 3rd pair spot next season, or does he need another year or 2?

I do see he was recently called up, but looks like he didn't get any NHL games...

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Not sure if it's been asked but-how NHL ready is Keane? Are we talking a legit shot at a 3rd pair spot next season, or does he need another year or 2?

Carolina is pretty deep on D throughout the organization, so it’s harder to gauge with their depth, but I think he could definitely be ready for NHL minutes on a 3rd pair next season. He might need to bulk up a little though and could use a little improvement in his own zone. Offensively, he’s ready and is a great skater.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

I do see he was recently called up, but looks like he didn't get any NHL games...
Unless he's blocked, I'd say he could be ready by next season to make the full jump. He could probably step in for a few games this season if needed. If he's not ready by next season, I can't see him taking longer than a potential mid-season call up. His game seems to be a style that transitions well for the NH. Whether he pans our or not is a different story, but he should be able to adapt pretty quickly if it works out.

Reactions: bernmeister

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
We just kept one of his giant ****ing helmets as a keepsake.
Q0WTZ3C.png

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
We'll see how he does. A 20yo possible #3/4 type dman that's exempt from the expansion draft is always a welcome thing. with the disappointing play of TVR there's a good chance he's getting a solid shot at the NHL as soon as next season.

Geekie and Bokk are also playing well this season so might be a case of time to cash in one of our protects to address a weakness long term.

Don't love it, don't hate it.

I think you guys will like Keane. Frankly, I think is the sign of a good trade when fans on both sides are meh.

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
Yes, because those are the best predictors of what a prospect is going to be. Especially one like Gauthier who's more career AHLer than prospect at this point. But I've also seen Gauthier enough times to know he can't skate at a NHL level, is a defensive liability and only got drafted in the first round because he scored on 20% (!!!) of his shots in the QMJHL in 2015-16, a complete fluke (his shooting percentage over his other three full QMJHL seasons was 12.6%). I've also seen Keane enough times to know he's pretty much the quintessential new NHL defenseman. He's not going to impress anyone physically and it's still possible his frame holds him back from playing in the NHL but his skating (especially edgework) and hockey sense are already NHL caliber.

Geez, someone give this guy a spot on Sportsnet, he sure seems to know what he's talking about.

Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Yes, because those are the best predictors of what a prospect is going to be. Especially one like Gauthier who's more career AHLer than prospect at this point. But I've also seen Gauthier enough times to know he can't skate at a NHL level, is a defensive liability and only got drafted in the first round because he scored on 20% (!!!) of his shots in the QMJHL in 2015-16, a complete fluke (his shooting percentage over his other three full QMJHL seasons was 12.6%). I've also seen Keane enough times to know he's pretty much the quintessential new NHL defenseman. He's not going to impress anyone physically and it's still possible his frame holds him back from playing in the NHL but his skating (especially edgework) and hockey sense are already NHL caliber.
To me, Gauthier looked like a more physical version of Zykov. Fringe NHLer with a uni-dimensional game.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
How is this Keane guy scoring about as much in the AHL as a rookie as he did in the OHL? Very interesting trade.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
From the Canes standpoint, this feels like a setup to something bigger.

Yes, this adds a RH D to the pipeline that we are lacking, but man, our pipeline is loaded on defense, and this only made that situation worse. Even if we lose TVR and Edmundson this offseason, we're still looking at filling that last roster spot with Bean, Priskie, or now Keane. And after Hamilton signs, and we bring Fleury back (both likely, as Hamilton is one of the guys we can't let go, and Fleury is just now coming into his own, and will probably not cost too much to re-up, and there is zero appetite from the front office to break in 2 rookie dmen in any given year) we will likely have 5 of our 6 defensive slots filled for at least 2 years. 2 of the 3 are going to be blocked. And even more curious, we took a guy from an area we need help in (RH depth forwards who can score) and
made it weaker to create this logjam.

Something about this doesn't add up, unless there's a bigger mo
ve coming.[/QUOTE

Kapanen and Bracco for Pesce incoming.......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad