Confirmed Trade: [NYR/CAR] Rangers trade Joey Keane to Hurricanes for Julien Gauthier

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
EliteProspects is down someone please help!!! :scared::scared::scared:

"An explosive power forward who boasts an elite-level skill package. Takes nothing for granted and plays with hard-nosed work ethic. Tremendous vision and outstanding hockey sense; thrives under pressure and doesn't stray from the high-percentage play. Willingness to play physical and win battles in his own end makes him a vital asset, stepping up at the game's key moments. Exceptional skating ability allows him to stay with, if not ahead, of each unfolding play. Refined puckhandling skills allow him to maintain puck control at breakneck speeds. All-in-all, a prolific scorer whose attitude and innate abilities will constantly propel him into dominance. (Curtis Joe, EP 2016)"

Julien Gauthier has drawn well-deserved comparisons to current NHLer Rick Nash. He has an imposing frame, dazzling puck skills, and the drive to win. Learns from his past mistakes and implements new strategies to counteract them. [EliteProspects 2016]'

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
"Got anymore of those defensemen? We could use more defensemen..."

VmHddlU.gif

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Really smart trade by Gorton. Trade from a surplus to fill a need. I also think Gauthier will be a better NHL'er than Keane, although they aren't far off similar level players.

Keane's AHL numbers look better than they are. He racks up a lot of points that he won't get in the NHL. He plays PP1 in the AHL, which he doesn't have the offensive skill to do in the better NHL. He shouldn't even be playing PP1 in the AHL, but others were injured to start the season, and that PP worked, so it hasn't been changed. He probably isn't a PP guy in the NHL, although PP2 isn't unreasonable. On that AHL PP, he doesn't primarily drive the offense either. His point totals don't reflect his offensive ability. He's a good all-around player though. I could see him being an average second pairing defensemen. He can play both sides of the rink, he moves the puck well, he can skate. He's not a bad player, but those who boxscore watch are not getting an accurate picture. He's not a breakout star.

I saw Gauthier play a few times earlier this season. His ability to drive to the net was frighteningly good. Really big and strong kid. Skates well. I don't like his puck game that much, but he'll score goals, and give us some size at a weaker position for us.

Keane was completely blocked by the three RHD already in the NHL, and then Lundkvist coming next year. All are higher in the pecking order than him. Gauthier doesn't have that much competition. We are weak on the wing, especially if Kreider is traded soon.

Last edited:

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
At first glance this looks bad for the Rangers. But I've heard Gauthier is a powerforward - they tend to take longer with their development.

Keane has been real good and is only 20 years old and he's a RHD. He had too many good players ahead of him.

This could be a meh trade all over when it's all said and done. But this feels like a win for Carolina.

Keane's ceiling, position etc makes him more valuable IMO.

How good is Gauthier though? Is he NHL ready? 3rd line potential at best?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad