Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Brady Skjei (6 years, $5.25M AAV)

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
this highlights the benefit of signing young talent early. The only problem is if they regress, which can happen, but if you gamble and win, you are laughing.

Although, I must say that even though we must accept that salaries will continue rising due to the cap rising, Skjei still has a higher cap percentage than Ghost did at the time of signing even, which doesn't seem right.
And just think, the Flyers ALSO had a bridge contract with Couturier paying him 1.75 million per year for 2 years all while he produced 37 points, then 39 points in 63 games.

So Wilson had a bigger bridge deal(2million per) and now has a bigger long term deal than Couturier.

:laugh:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Perfectly fair deal for both sides, especially given the term for the Rangers. If he rebounds as well, this will be a steal.

if this truly has become what passes as a fair deal for a team {and I might agree that the precedence of other horrible contracts might very well have made this fair market value now} then its just exhibit 24eX in the evidence list of where the next lockout is coming from.

billionair owners are probably willing to spend obscene money on their favorite toys. and ticket buying casual fans are certainly more likely to drop entertainment dollars on famous name old favorites then they would for unknows.. but second pair dmen are not shinny toys for owners nor are they merchandise movers for run of the mill general fans

is skjei a fine option for a second pair defense in todays nhl? I am guessing yes. but is 5 mill what we should be paying for second pair dmen that average around 5 goals a season and have exactly 2 years under the belt?

lockout cba renogniation here we come

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
wow. he makes more than morgan rielly, who had double the points last year

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
HFBoards said McDonagh signed to the market value when he resigned with TB. ($6.7M per year)

McD 6.7M or Skjei 5.25M...

Though I don't think McD took that much of a discount, the difference between the two (for now) is more than that 1.45 million per year.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
wow. he makes more than morgan rielly, who had double the points last year
Wow! It's almost like Rielly signed that deal when 2 years ago when he was 22, and the TML paid him early on in his ELC period!

Wow! It'a almost like there was a different total team cap number back then, and players were paid less!

Wow! It's almost like you're comparing Apples and Oranges!

Wow! It's almost like you forgot to mention the previous year, when Skjei had 12 more points than Rielly!

Wow!

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
And just think, the Flyers ALSO had a bridge contract with Couturier paying him 1.75 million per year for 2 years all while he produced 37 points, then 39 points in 63 games.

So Wilson had a bigger bridge deal(2million per) and now has a bigger long term deal than Couturier.

:laugh:

Hey gotta scrape up the cash to give AMac from somewhere.

Reactions: Squad50FF

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Wow! It's almost like Rielly signed that deal when 2 years ago when he was 22, and the TML paid him early on in his ELC period!

Wow! It'a almost like there was a different total team cap number back then, and players were paid less!

Wow! It's almost like you're comparing Apples and Oranges!

Wow! It's almost like you forgot to mention the previous year, when Skjei had 12 more points than Rielly!

Wow!

Leafs and cherry picking stats to make their players look better while talking down other teams players. Can't think of a better love story tbh.

I'm not sure how anyone can think Reilly and Skjei's contracts are comparable.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
HFBoards said McDonagh signed to the market value when he resigned with TB. ($6.7M per year)

Though I don't think McD took that much of a discount, the difference between the two (for now) is more than that 1.45 million per year.

Different taxes in each state. Tampa don't have to offer as much to beat for instance the Rangers due to vast differences in taxes. Less $ per year still ends up being more $ due to it.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
There’s no need for this.

Not a bad deal for NYR. Definitely not the worst 6 year, $30M+ contract given out in the last 24 hours.
People that respond like that are nothing but plastic fans. They come here to troll, Hoping to get someone to take the bait. Don't know much about Brady, but sounds like a good second pairing guy. Good for him.+

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Boy, do I remember seeing a lot of 'better than Trouba' comments last summer.

Anyway, this is pretty well in line with the going rate of young defensemen coming off their ELCs.
I think you're misremembering the number of those comments.

Such a gamble on Skjei.

Why would people compare veteran power forward Tom Wilson to Skjei is what I will never understand in this thread??
Because instead of commenting on the deal, they would rather use it as an opportunity to make to further an agenda.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Deal does not help with our hopes to sign Hannifin under 5 million long term.

People are getting paid lately, but atleast Skjei has huge upside.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Guess this deal was to help keep a bottom feeding team above the cap floor during the rebuild because it makes zero sense otherwise. He is 5-7 d on his best night and AHL bound on his worst.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
this highlights the benefit of signing young talent early. The only problem is if they regress, which can happen, but if you gamble and win, you are laughing.

Although, I must say that even though we must accept that salaries will continue rising due to the cap rising, Skjei still has a higher cap percentage than Ghost did at the time of signing even, which doesn't seem right.

I would much rather pay young talent even in their RFA years because you have that player locked up through his most productive years. It's an investment in your teams future.

As opposed to overpaying for UFAs. You are paying for another teams past.

And most long term UFA deals get ugly real quick and don't come close to producing for what their paid for.

McDonagh is a perfect example. We had McDonagh through the course of his prime and got the most out of him. He outperformed his contract.

Now the Lightning are investing in what McDonagh WAS in 2012-14.

Other examples are Nielsen, Okposo, Lucic. Pretty much any other big name UFA signing really.

Last edited:

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Guess this deal was to help keep a bottom feeding team above the cap floor during the rebuild because it makes zero sense otherwise. He is 5-7 d on his best night and AHL bound on his worst.

A bottom feeding team? Lol we just missed the playoffs for the 2nd time since the lockout.

Reactions: bl02 and haveandare

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
The Rangers look at Skjei as their McD replacement, they locked him up.
Regardless if he is a 3 and not a 1 or 2....in a couple of years this contract will be a real bargain when he is a legit top pair guy and 2nd pairing guys will be making 6+M on the regular.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
It was reported that Skjei was one of the guys before his nhl debut that every GM in the league was asking the Rangers for. Somehow, I don't think a six year deal at 5.25 average to a guy with Skej's talent at 24 is anything but a good deal. Rielly's points for example are not very impressive. He played the PP with great PP talents and almost half his points were on that unit. Skjei the year before had 32 of his 39 points at even strength. Skjei also has the ability to be a shutdown defenseman. Rielly does not IMO. Too much is put into PP points for defenseman.

AV lost the team last year. The players that will take a hit the most when that happens are the goalie and young defenseman. Skjei suffered from AV losing the team and a dumb system. I'm not worried about him rebounding. When he's 27 he'll have 3 years left on his deal. That's perfect for a defenseman in the prime of his career.

Shows you how inconsistent fans are. Last year every proposal here to the Rangers was asking for Skjei. Now he isn't good. :help:

Reactions: Irishguy42

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

Don't get me wrong, it's a good contract for McDonagh. But Skjei's contract is for his whole prime. McDonagh is going to be in his mid 30's when the other ends. NYR are very wary of player decline right now, which is impacting who they extend and when.

Reactions: TheBPA

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
An NHL lockout is a definite with mediocre players getting paid $5 million a year this summer.

Thanks crappy GMs

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath

even if you don't rate him, this is just a ludicrous statement that you can't actually believe

Reactions: haveandare

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012

Good analysis. You must watch a lot of NYR hockey to be so on point. Totally on his way out of the NHL soon... might not even stay in AHL and end up in ECHL.

It's a fine contract buying 3 years of UFA for a player that's going to be taking on a bigger role with a building team with expectations of being a leader in the upcoming seasons.

As the overall cap rises, the salaries rise with it. If folks are going to compare it to someone like Reilly you have to take into account that he signed 2 years ago and only 1 UFA season on the contract. If Reilly signed a 6 year deal today, with a higher cap and doubling his point total from the season before, he'd probably be getting 6 x 6.5-7M. This is why GM's are locking down some of their more important RFAs with term instead of bridge deals.

Skjei had a 40 pt rookie season and took a little step back last season. In a vacuum that doesn't look as great but when you realize the team was being torn down and playing a bunch of rookies and career AHL types, the whole team was shit. Brady is a great skater, plays a solid 2-way game and should continue to improve in all areas. Another thing to factor in was AV's idiotic, structure-less defensive system that was hard enough for vets to keep up with, nevermind the younger guys. I don't know what Quinn is bringing yet, but I guarantee it will at least be simplified.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad