Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Brady Skjei (6 years, $5.25M AAV)

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
An NHL lockout is a definite with mediocre players getting paid $5 million a year this summer.

Thanks crappy GMs

???

If anything it's smart for GMs to lock up younger players and invest in their prime years.

Skjei will be 30 when this deal ends.

Where's the smart money? Do you think he'll perform better on this contract or the contract he gets as a UFA on the back half of his career?

Would it have been smarter to keep McDonagh and give him $7 million all the way up until he's 36-38?

And $5 million is the new $3.5 million.

By your logic Tavares was an awful lockout causing investment for the Leafs because he's making over $2 million more than Crosby on a deal signed 6 years apart.

And then when it comes time for the next hockey phenom to get his contract 6 years from now that will make McDavids look like a steal too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hunter Gathers

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
An NHL lockout is a definite with mediocre players getting paid $5 million a year this summer.

Thanks crappy GMs

Yeah the 6 year $5M contracts are going to be the cause of a lockout in 4 years, not the double digit AAV contracts that will take players into their mid to late 30's.

The top salaries in the league are the beginning basis for comparables for the rest of the contracts. With overall team cap rise, player salaries go up and the to[p-end players set the standard going forward. When Drew Doughty signs an 8 year $11M AAV contract in 2018, he sets a new standard for defense contracts going forward. 2 years ago Burns was at $8M on an extension, coming off an elite performance of 27G and 75pts. Subban was at 9 with a ridiculous contract for it's time back in 2014, but now it's becoming market rate as you see the other high end guys moving into the 8+ realm like Carlson and OEL.

Can Brady Skjei provide at least 50% of the impact to his team that Doughty brings to his team? I'd like to think so. As the top end goes, so the league goes. If NHL has another lockout, it isn't because the likes of Skjei and Wilson contracts.

Reactions: NewYorkNick

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Fair deal. I think some people don’t realize the premium top 4 D are at now a days. With the cap where it is, that’s a decent price.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I would have preferred around 4.75, but you don't walk away over the small difference. By default, he's 1/2 w/Shatty as our most important defensemen.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Both Alberta teams puked with this deal.

I don't really understand this comment. I figure you're talking Nurse and Hanifin, but why are they throwing up?
If Nurse signs a long term deal, did you think it was going to be less than $5M? When buying some UFA years?
Hanfin is 21. Nice to get him on long term, but I'm sure Calgary would rather bridge him at around $4M until age 23 then hit the 6 or 7 year deal.

I don't think Nurse was arbitration eligible either, which also takes leverage away.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
You can't compare RFA contracts from years ago. Nowadays RFA's are asking for a lot more and are expecting them to paid fairly. Moving forward expect to see RFA contracts continue to increase.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Any top four defenseman in this league should be making at least 5 million a season. With a new coach and new system, Skjei has a chance of becoming a top 2. So, this contract is not out of line if you believe in this player. He's also one of the best skaters in the league which a lot of fans don't probably know. In a league where it's about speed, that is important.

and 99 others

la la la la la la la... a little bit alexis
Jul 27, 2011
He looked pretty solid once Shattenkirk got hurt.

Skjei-Shattenkirk was an AV experiment gone awful. Naturally, he stuck with it.
Are you going to be disappointed when Quinn uses them as the first line D pairing?

Who else are you giving top pairing minutes to?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Funny how when the Flyers give all their young players a ton of money before they do anything major, this board praises them. Gee. You think it's another I hate NY posting fest on HF? :sarcasm:

Ghost scored 85 points in 142 games before he was given a 6 year deal at $4.5m.

Skjei has scored 64 points in 169 games.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Agreed. And with no clauses its even better.

I really like his contract length and numbers compare to other contracts Jeff Gorton have been given out in this summer window based on Brady huge potential skills and skating abilities. And maybe some here who is not in that degree updated who Brady Skjei really is with his background with international hockey since his early youth for US, and two full NHL seasons for us with strong performances; especially in his first year. And a Rangers team with issues and guys came not prepared last year training camp including all our injuries mid last season, and Smith ended up in AHL. So you can`t blame the whole team including Brady for one season with less points since it hit the whole team with new direction and all that went on behind the scene with rebuilding in mind.

And players like Rick Nash knew he was going to get moved before the deadline last year. Dave Maloney talked about it in his interview with NHL Network recently concerning next training camp and what is expected by veteran players and others to compete in this league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad