Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Brady Skjei (6 years, $5.25M AAV)

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Funny how when the Flyers give all their young players a ton of money before they do anything major, this board praises them. Gee. You think it's another I hate NY posting fest on HF? :sarcasm:

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Actually, posters on this board need to grow up and get a clue. The posters on this board continue to talk about the Rangers like this was the 80's where they had tons of crazy FA signings. The Rangers have won more playoff games I believe than any team in hockey the past 8 to 10 years. People need to wake up and realize this isn't the 80's or late 90's. It's beyond old the trash directed at the NYR with absolutely no facts. It's always the same. All the Rangers players stink. When they trade their players they suddenly are great. All the signings of their own players are stupid. Yet, the exact same contracts are given to other teams players who aren't even as good, they are great signings. Posters on this board might as just well come out and state they hate New York and can't ever post objectively on the team. It would save a lot of useless threads.

Reactions: The S5

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I think $5m is what you are going to have to pay solid 2nd line players and 2nd pairing D on the go-forward and it alos seems the gap has lessened between RFA and UFA years for this type of player... you see that trend with the latest contracts extending 3+ yeasr into the players UFA years. Skjei is a 2nd pairing guy with a decent potential to be a 1st pairing guy.

I was wondering what would transpire with this negotiation as I see this as a Nurse comparable contract. Nurse is truly a 2nd pairing guy who was forced into a top pairing role last year due to injuries last year and he did not disappoint. Nurse is not as offensively minded as Skjei but he brings a stronger physical element. I see Nurse's demands at the $4.5 - 5m AAV range on a 6 years deal and likely $3-$3.25 on a bridge. The Oilers will liekly have no choice but to opt for the bridge deal due to cap constraints.

I think Skjei's deal is fair based on a blend of the 2016/17 and 2017/18 seasons. I was expecting a 2 year bridge deal, to allow the Rangers more time to better gauge his long term projections. The NYRs obviously saw enough to feel comfortable with offering this contract, which is fair.

Reactions: klingsor

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
The entire team had a down year. He finished the season very strong and still put up 39 points on a team that was in transition to put it nicely. In meaningful games in the playoffs he's consistently played at a high level at both ends and put up points.

The AV stench is very real and has claimed many a victim.

It'll be really telling if McDonagh gets back to his 2012-14 Norris Mac f***ing truck with a full offseason in the Tampa system away from AV

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Not that much downside here.

Either he is overpaid by a million or so, which isn't the end of the world or he continues to improve and makes this contract fair or even a steal.

Reactions: Nickmo82 and bl02

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Actually, posters on this board need to grow up and get a clue. The posters on this board continue to talk about the Rangers like this was the 80's where they had tons of crazy FA signings. The Rangers have won more playoff games I believe than any team in hockey the past 8 to 10 years. People need to wake up and realize this isn't the 80's or late 90's. It's beyond old the trash directed at the NYR with absolutely no facts. It's always the same. All the Rangers players stink. When they trade their players they suddenly are great. All the signings of their own players are stupid. Yet, the exact same contracts are given to other teams players who aren't even as good, they are great signings. Posters on this board might as just well come out and state they hate New York and can't ever post objectively on the team. It would save a lot of useless threads.

I agree with some of what you said but there are some flaws...
  • the reason the Rangers are managed differently than in the 80s/90s is because the league brought in the salary cap.
  • almost every fan base has crap thrown at them on these forums, you are not alone. I read crap posted by a few Ranger posters about the Oilers on a daily basis. Some warranted, some not... there is plenty of trolling.
  • The Rangers are 4th in playoff wins in the past 10 years, 6th in the past 8 years.

I hate to tell ya, what you read in this thread is nothing... if you can't take the cyber mob-bullying that this site delivers on struggling teams, you are in for a very frustrating time. Take this from an Oilers fan... it sucks and can be frustrating at times.

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island
Not that much downside here.

Either he is overpaid by a million or so, which isn't the end of the world or he continues to improve and makes this contract fair or even a steal.

Pretty much this. He's already proven himself to be a solid second line pairing defenseman at a young age and is still very young. Reminds me of when we did this with McDonagh and had him on a sweetheart deal for a few years.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Seems like a lot to me. Don't really get a chance to watch a ton of Rangers games so maybe he really is that good. If he grows into a good top pairing player then this is a nice contract. If he stays at the level he is now then I'm not so sure. Always viewed him as more of a decent second pairing puck moving option than an all situations 2 way go to defender but maybe he can get there.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
Now looking at comparing the two contracts signed over the past couple days, is Skjei really the same value as Tom Wilson?
Love Wilson's game, buuuuut yikes is comparison to Skjei

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Seems like they're paying for his high PDO season and ignoring his low one. Should probably be paying him for the average of the two. There's worse ways to spend your cap space though.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
It’s a risk/reward for the rangers. Skjei has the potential to make this seem like a steal but it’s too much based on what he did last season.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
I like Severson but is he really better? Skjei was a beast in the two playoffs series he was in scoring 5 points in 12 games while playing excellent defense against playoff oppenents. Wasn't Severson scratched for a game in the playoffs? Skjei has played a lot less games and has put up just as impressive point production as Severson.
You act as if coaches always make the right decisions.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
he would have took 4 million a year, he's only played 2 full nhl seasons.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
A younger Jake Gardiner? What does this contract buy...3 years of UFA? Seems a bit rich, but he's shown something and he has potential to get better.

thebigbea

Jun 14, 2011
To be honest as a big hockey fan, never heard of him until now. He makes Tom Wilson contract looks like a steal

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
young two-way defenseman puts up the points and defends well with room to grow crunching top 4 minutes. I might have invested in blockbuster and beanie babbies back in the day but I know a great asset to invest into when I see one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad