Nyquist vs Tatar

redwingsphan

Apr 25, 2014
Tatar for a lot of reasons. First he's visible even when he's not scoring. Second because he's willing to go to the dirtier areas. Third because he makes less, so his dollar to production is a lot better.

Super small sample size this year, but Nyquist has been way too cute for his own good and has been a complete non-factor. I hope that changes.

Nyquist has an assist and was screening the goalie on the game winner in the last game. Can't say he has been a complete non-factor.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I like tatar more, he goes to the dirty areas and is not that much worse with deking if he is at all. And i think he is more important to the team in the playoffs.

Actual Thought*

Nyquist has killer skills but if I have to watch him split the D, roll into the slot, and then retreat to the outside again I am gonna puke. He is soft as can be and that is why he is invisible in the playoffs. Tatar has balls. Tatar has tenacity. Tatar is a guy who can take over a series. I don't ever see Nyquist doing that. Tatar for me and it isn't close. I will take his will over Nyquist's skill.

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
Tats has made it very close but I stick with Nyquist.

I think the only thing Tatar definately has over nyquist is a better contract situation.

I think it's hard to say Nyquist doesn't go to the scoring areas when he's scored ~30 G's the last two years and carried us for significant amounts of time. Abby's goal last game is an example of him doing the dirty work at net front while someone else gets the glory.

As it was with the D/Z and Fil/Huds debates, I don't see how preferring one means vilifying another, as sports fans are wont to do

HomersWorld

Mar 8, 2012
Tats has made it very close but I stick with Nyquist.

I think the only thing Tatar definately has over nyquist is a better contract situation.

I think it's hard to say Nyquist doesn't go to the scoring areas when he's scored ~30 G's the last two years and carried us for significant amounts of time. Abby's goal last game is an example of him doing the dirty work at net front while someone else gets the glory.

As it was with the D/Z and Fil/Huds debates, I don't see how preferring one means vilifying another, as sports fans are wont to do

Nailed it on the last part. They came up together but they don't really play the same game. Tatar is flashier, Nyquist is more cerebral. Both are good players and I'm glad to have both on the Wings.

I do think (and hope) Nyquist will benefit from Blashill's system and have a more consistent year this year. If you look at his goals from two seasons ago he scored quite a few off the rush. It seemed like he hardly had any chances like that last year and was mostly scoring from the slot on the powerplay.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
If the question is "who would you prefer to trade?" if one had to be traded...

My pick would be whoever brings the most return. Because I am happy keeping either one. That said, I would be sad if one really had to go.

Zorin

Sep 2, 2002
Germany
www.krefeld-penguins.de
Got a bit of a man-crush on both, but a tad more with Tats. Simply for the hunger for goals and the passion he plays with. I just love the energy he has when he celebrates a goal.
Gus is just an awesome player too, though. And he has a knack for scoring goals that get you out of the seat. Like the Ottawa-OT-goal or this goal from the goal-line last season after being hooked on the breakaway. Then again Tats had that Split-the-D-Goal against Dallas (?) of his own... So overall.... pretty much a coin-flip. Would be VERY disappointed for either to be dealt. But my nod goes to Tats.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Neither has blown me away at this point, but I give the nod to Tatar; other than one shift last game, I've not seen much of anything from Gus so far. Only two games in and I'm certain they will get things going soon, but so far I give them both two thumbs down.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Both are a big part of our future. Gus is more skilled, Tats more gritty. Like to keep both

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
I wonder if subconsciously, they keep score on who's doing the best.
(like Nyquist vs Tatar = Legolas vs Gimli)

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Larkin as Frodo, Abby as Galadriel, Cleary as Smeagel :sarcasm:

I like dan and he deseres the bast after his career, just thought with the sentiment on this board, it is apt

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
C'mon Holland would have to be an Ent.

Holland should be the sick King of Rohan, and Cleary is Grima Wormtongue.

Here they are discussing Nyquist in 2013:

hqdefault.jpg

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Both are a big part of our future. Gus is more skilled, Tats more gritty. Like to keep both

Tats is more gritty? Since when? Go watch the Abdelkader goal in Carolina and look at the battle Nyquist endures with Faulk in front of the net. Tats would never do that.

Oct 18, 2006
Tats is more gritty? Since when? Go watch the Abdelkader goal in Carolina and look at the battle Nyquist endures with Faulk in front of the net. Tats would never do that.
Was great but Tatar definitely more gritty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad