Nyquist vs Tatar

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Nyquist. More refined, balanced player. Better two-way game, better offensive vision, more cerebral. Tatar may end up with more goals in the NHL, but it won't be by much.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
People should realize Gus scored the exact same number of goals in the AHL during the regular season last year. Tatar is a better goal scorer, but not by a significant margin. Love how hot Tatar got in the playoffs goal scoring wise, but Nyquist was the better player by a decent margin when they were lined up side by side the last two years.

Detroit Swed Wings

#FireHolland
Jan 17, 2013
Malmö
I like the "fire" that Tatar plays with. I think that kind of energy is infectious, especially on depth scoring lines. In games where out top lines looked flat, it was nice to see Tatar looking dangerous regularly, and he seems to always be in "attack mode".

Thought your analysis of play style, was pretty fair. Tatar plays more of a straight forward game and wants the puck in high scoring areas, and knows how to finish around the net.

Nyquist is more of a change-of-pace player that is shifty and has good vision.

With both guys on the team next year it should upgrade our skill level among our top 9 forwards, assuming they both hopefully play there.

Who becomes better with time is anyone's guess. I think to date it is clear Nyquist has accomplished more, which is why it's fair to assume he's better today. That could change quickly. I think one of Jurco/Mantha will surpass both these guys in the near future anyway.

Exactly this.
Based on my "eye test" last season I can't agree more. Tatar showed pure determination when he got the puck in the scoring areas. I remember that deke in the paint Tatar did just before he roofed the puck. It just comes natural to him.

But I actually voted for Nyquist. As many have said, his two-way game is better. I guess that's why Babs play him more. I see him creating "more out of nothing" than Tatar.

Either way it's close between the two.

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
Have a hard time seeing that at all. Hossa is so much more physically dominant and imposing than either Nyquist or Tatar.

I always thought it was kind of similar to Hudler (Tatar) vs Filppula (Nyquist).

Though I don't think that's great either since Tatar is clearly quicker than Hudler, and probably has a little different play-style.

Tatar=Hudler is kind of a ridiculous comparison. Hudler was and is a capable goal scorer, but his playmaking is even more impressive. Tatar is not nearly as skilled a playmaker. But he is much more aggressive a shooter, far speedier, and probably has a better shot (at minimum for his age if not outright). Nyquist is more similar to Hudler, except Hudler goes to the net more and isn't as flashy; the Filppula comparison is pretty accurate but Flip isn't as willing to shoot the puck; his reluctance to shoot (except in 2011-12, when Z was playmaker/defensive lock and Hudler(!) was net-front/scavenger on his line pretty much FORCED him into being a shooter).

If Hudler could skate like Tatar or Nyquist he would've been a top ten pick.

Quoting me again? FTR, Hudler was considered to have had top-five skill but his size (more than his speed) was considered to be the main cause of his 50+ spot drop. His speed was secondary, the "little guy who isn't fast" scouting report is believed to have scared teams because they immediately thought "there's no way he'll be effective at the NHL level." Sort of like how the "Soviet/Eastern Bloc factor" caused guys like Fedorov, Bure, Mogilny, Konstantinov, and Jagr to drop even though they were thought very highly of.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Nyquist creates more offense. Tatar scores more goals.

Guess it depends what you like better.

I'll take the goals on a roster with more playmakers than snipers.

I like both guys and think that Gus may have the higher ceiling, but went with Tatar for his willingness to drive the net and shoot the puck along with the intensity in his game.

UncleSam19

Jun 16, 2013
I like both guys a lot, right now i give it to gus, not by a lot but a decent amount. Really think next year is going to give us an answer.

Tatar came over as an 18 year old to get used to the NA pro game, which very few do, and played great with 32pts in 58games. followed by seasons of 57 in 70, 58 in 76, and last year 49 in 61 plus the 7 in 18 with DET, and 21 in 24 playoff games.
Gus came and played NCAA which he dominated and in his first full pro season had 58 in 56 plus 7 in 18 for DET(if i remember right he had 6a in his first 7games, then got moved down to 4th line min and hit a slump then got his final point on pavs wing with that tap in anyone could hit). in his second season he blew away the AHL and was the scoring leader till his call up with 60 in 58 and he was on fire the last couple weeks before the call up. and put up 8 in 22 for the wings, and really didn't do too much until brunner was moved down. but was great during the playoffs and really showed the potential he had.

Honestly think that Tats got bored playing in the Ahl when he knew he could be with the big club, especially after this seasons call up, he disappeared until the playoffs. In his call up though, i thought he was one of the best forwards on the team, prob top 3, Tats was all over it, loved his game. We all know what youre getting with Gus, hes a playmaker, great vision, fast, can score goals. But i really hope Tatar puts on a show next year and proves hes just as good if not better than gus. AND i 100% agree that a line of Tats Helm Gus could be the scariest 3rd line in the league and could generate almost as much offense as the second line, would love to see it.
my 2cents atleast...

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
AND i 100% agree that a line of Tats Helm Gus could be the scariest 3rd line in the league and could generate almost as much offense as the second line, would love to see it.
my 2cents atleast...

It's the #1 reason by a mile that I want the season to start. I want to see Nyquist and Tatar tear it up together.

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
I homer voted for Tatar.

I mean I honestly do believe he is a better prospect, but it's still a homer vote in my case.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I loved Tatar's game. I did not understand why he was sent Down.

Nyquist is a year older.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Nyquist. Stronger on the puck, better playmaker (vision, hockey IQ). His goalscoring isn't far behind.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Tatar, though in 2013 I voted for Goose. Tatar drives possession, he is a player who can be the x factor of a line on his own. Tatar scores at even strength really well too. They're both great though. I personally like Goose more, but I think Tats is the better player.

Sheriff Bert

Blash is Trash
Apr 24, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Over the course of the last few seasons, my opinion has shifted. I always used to be big on Nyquist, but now that they have both been playing in the big league, I like Tatar more.

Nyquist has a great set of skills, but he disappears at times when most needed. I think that he overthinks plays and tries to do too much with the puck like he sees Pav doing. Whereas Tats is more of a shoot first player and it has benefited him.

Tats also has more drive and passion. He hustles harder, and every time he scores, he acts as if it were his first. Not that Gus isn't passionate, but I really would love for him to be a little more consistent.

Brandel*

It is fairly close for me but I think Tatar is a better player.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Obviously close but I prefer Tatar, like most have said he goes to the dirtier areas and it seems like Nyquist hasnt done much in the playoffs really.

Also, Tatar seems like one of those players that just loves hockey and scoring goals. He celebrates as hard when someone else scores as when he does.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Tatar right now because he will be making two million less for the next two seasons and put up similar #'s to Nyquist.

Ignoring cap value, i would flip a coin.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
When Nyquist is on his game I think he's honestly the best forward we have. The Nyquist that'll fire shots that make you wonder how he put the puck where he did or puts on shows like the Ottawa goal last season. He has an extra gear when he's feeling confident. I think Tatar is the better player from a game-to-game basis.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Tatar for a lot of reasons. First he's visible even when he's not scoring. Second because he's willing to go to the dirtier areas. Third because he makes less, so his dollar to production is a lot better.

Super small sample size this year, but Nyquist has been way too cute for his own good and has been a complete non-factor. I hope that changes.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Too close to call. They both have their strengths. If you force me to pick I'd say Nyquist because he's a bit more versatile.

Love 'em both. Hope they start getting it going soon this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad