Nyquist vs Tatar

Johnz96*

Who is better?
I think they are even at this point but will give a slight edge to Tatar because he is younger. Tatar is more of a shooter and Nyquist a distributor and the Wings have more playmaking types than shooters.

RedWingsNow*

I think both players are very good but will have a hard time meeting expectations soon enough (before some of the bigger prospects arrive).
I like Tatar more. He's got a direct game. He goes to tough areas. He drives the nets.
He's not as slippery or as skilled with the puck. But Tatar can be very good goal scorer in this league. I can see 30 goal campaigns in his future. 30G 25A kind of guy.
I think Nyquist will put up more points, perhaps, but less goals.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Going to go with our 3rd best forward in the playoffs last year, the most productive prospect in our pipeline, and the guy the organization seems to be higher on.

So I'm going with Nyquist.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I think both players are very good but will have a hard time meeting expectations soon enough (before some of the bigger prospects arrive).
I like Tatar more. He's got a direct game. He goes to tough areas. He drives the nets.
He's not as slippery or as skilled with the puck.

Which *sort of* makes it sound like he's not good with the puck, or that it's not a strong area of his. But it is. It's just Nyquist is moreso. But yeah he's got some real slick hands, patience, and the aggressive shooter mentality.

I give Tatar the edge. He seems to have a real killer instinct. But I won't really know util I see Tatar with some consistent time up with the Red Wings.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Who is better?
I think they are even at this point but will give a slight edge to Tatar because he is younger. Tatar is more of a shooter and Nyquist a distributor and the Wings have more playmaking types than shooters.

Just because Tatar fills more of a need (your opinion), that has nothing to do with who the better player is. Those two points are not mutually exclusive.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Let me guess, people who votes for Nyquist only see the "nhl player vs ahl player" and ignore the fact that babcock/kh does a terrible work with the young prospects. In a fair world, Nyquist and Tatar would both be in the NHL with equal amount of icetime... I'm sure Tatar would, in that scenario, have more goals than Nyquist. Goals = Premium. Tatar = Winner.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Let me guess, people who votes for Nyquist only see the "nhl player vs ahl player" and ignore the fact that babcock/kh does a terrible work with the young prospects. In a fair world, Nyquist and Tatar would both be in the NHL with equal amount of icetime... I'm sure Tatar would, in that scenario, have more goals than Nyquist. Goals = Premium. Tatar = Winner.

So Franzen's the best player on our team... Right?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I bet on Tatar . He was better player during payoff and I think Tatar deserve be with Wings next season. I also think that main reason Griffins won the cop because :
1. Mrazek
2. Tatar

Aug 6, 2012

Well you can just simply compare their production in the AHL with equal opportunity.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
On a complete side-note, I think one of Jurco/Mantha is going to better than either.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Tatar = playoff MVP, 16 goals in 23 games or something, Nyquist didn't do much in the games after detroit got eliminated.

The way Nyquist played in the NHL playoffs against the big boys was very impressive though. Who cares how he plays in the AHL after that? He already owned the AHL for 2 years and finished a ppg for his AHL career.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Its awesome that we dont really have to choose between the two. IMO their styles compliment each other very nicely and they have good chemistry because of it. They should make great linemates for a long time.

RedWingsNow*

Which *sort of* makes it sound like he's not good with the puck, or that it's not a strong area of his. But it is. It's just Nyquist is moreso. But yeah he's got some real slick hands, patience, and the aggressive shooter mentality.

I give Tatar the edge. He seems to have a real killer instinct. But I won't really know util I see Tatar with some consistent time up with the Red Wings.

I like Tatar -- but I'd liken Tatar vs Nyquist to a poorman's Hossa vs a poorman's Datsyuk (but with both players on the Wing).

Johnz96*

Going to go with our 3rd best forward in the playoffs last year, the most productive prospect in our pipeline, and the guy the organization seems to be higher on.

So I'm going with Nyquist.

Nyquist is also older and better last year than he was the year before last just as Tatar should be better next year than he was last year. I see them as about even now but suspect Tatar might top out a little better.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I like Tatar -- but I'd liken Tatar vs Nyquist to a poorman's Hossa vs a poorman's Datsyuk (but with both players on the Wing).

Have a hard time seeing that at all. Hossa is so much more physically dominant and imposing than either Nyquist or Tatar.

I always thought it was kind of similar to Hudler (Tatar) vs Filppula (Nyquist).

Though I don't think that's great either since Tatar is clearly quicker than Hudler, and probably has a little different play-style.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad