Recalled/Assigned: Nyquist up, Tatar down

RedWingsNow*

Looks like both Cleary and Abdelkader could be off from TOP6 on wednesday.

Helm is also skating at practise, so in near future, we could have completely new 3rd line. AKader - Helm - Cleary

I still think the best move is to like so:

Franzen Zetterberg Nyquist
Flip Datsyuk Brunner

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Looks like both Cleary and Abdelkader could be off from TOP6 on wednesday.

Helm is also skating at practise, so in near future, we could have completely new 3rd line. AKader - Helm - Cleary

So then thank you helm for coming back here are your new toys abby and cleary! Only helm isn't as good with the puck as datsyuk, probably has some rust, and he gets those two with him for his first game back.

Damn my liver is gonna be hurting to see that.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
So then thank you helm for coming back here are your new toys abby and cleary! Only helm isn't as good with the puck as datsyuk, probably has some rust, and he gets those two with him for his first game back.

That line, however, also won't be playing against the opposition's top lines like those guys have been lately. Auntieraper-Helm-Cleary should be able to do SOMETHING out there as a 3rd line.

Anything.

Hopefully.

Else my liver is going to be sore as well.

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
Kind of normal asset management. We would be forced to put someone on waivers, if there's no trade on the table.

Don't you guys know that there's some roster limits why this made this way, a waiver-free guy is swapped to another waiver-free guy?

This is the system under we have operate before the trade deadline. Then some bodies are probably sent out.

But hey, now we have a real TOP6 forward to put in TOP6 and get Abdelkader to Bottom6, where he belongs. This move is what everybody has been hoping here, and again some of you guys are saying it's a wrong move?

Please god, help with all this message board sillyness. :shakehead

First logical post.

And what exactly would be wrong to already put somebody on waivers who will be there soon anyway when Filppula and Helm return? This is not the season nor the right point in the season to keep players up due to "roster management" reasons. The best players have to play (as KH and MB pretend) and BOTH Nyquist and Tatar are among the best 12 forwards.

Holland is managing his assets. Everybody may not like it but Nyquist, Tatar and Andersson are the guys able to be sent down with out losing anybody. My guess is with Fil and Helm getting ready to come back these three guys will be down anyways so makes sense to give Nyquist a few games before this happens. Andersson staying is because he can play center.

I agree that Tatar has outplayed many on this roster but come playoff time we will need as much depth as possible and no need to lose roster players now when you don't have to.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

Yeah, but the scoring pressure will be somewhat off for Cleary and Abdelkader while they also face worse competition. They're not going to blow it as checkers.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
True the shouldn't mess up that bad on the bottom 6 and if I remember correctly the line worked decent last year. But what a way to "reward" helm back on only his second game in a year.

The problem though is I see that line because of 8 and 11 is more apt to get icing calls due to the two black holes with helm. So they could see a very likely def zone face off against a to 6 line when they have already been out for 30 secs+ against a fresh top 6 line.

Last edited:

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
I thought people would be happier, Filp and Nyquist should mean the end of Cleary and Gator in the Top 6. Also Helmer's return is on the horizon so we'll get that bottom 6 speed and energy back soon enough.
Losing Tatar from the lineup sucks but IMO this opportunity probably wiped away any fear of him jumping to the KHL, he'll likely get a spot next year. The real time to panic will be this fall if he starts in GR.
Considering the fact that many people had this kid as the first injury call up in GR from the beginning of the season I'd say him getting to play 18 games is pretty good. I'm just hoping that given Kenny's recent comments about Nyquist possibly being our deadline acquisition means that Goose will be up permanently.

Last edited:

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
I think this hatred for Cleary and Abdelkader is misplaced. It's clear that both guys are struggling in the top 6 and are being asked to play a role they are not ready/capable of. This is on the coach.

If Both guys were playing on the 3rd/4th line against inferior competition I'm sure this hatred wouldn't be there and they would be looked at as solid checking line forwards. These guys are pretty much the same players as they were last year, just forced into different roles then they should be. I have no problem with them in the bottom 6 and hope they are both here for the playoffs.

Yes both guys would be claimed if put on waivers. It would take a matter of minutes for another GM to see they can be valuable bottom 6 guys.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Kind of normal asset management. We would be forced to put someone on waivers, if there's no trade on the table.

Oh no! How could we ever recover from losing Daniel Cleary on Waivers. Pretty sure he would clear anyways. And there's plenty of trades to be had. Loyalty is overrated.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Losing Tatar from the lineup sucks but IMO this opportunity probably wiped away any fear of him jumping to the KHL, he'll likely get a spot next year. The real time to panic will be next September if he starts in GR.

^This^

BTW. Tatar lost ~10k of his AHL salary and got ~225k of NHL salary in his 18-game stint. He must be very very unhappy guy at the moment. He kind of doubled his three-year AHL earnings with this stint.

Last edited:

Rael

Dec 28, 2012
Vienna
Holland is managing his assets. Everybody may not like it but Nyquist, Tatar and Andersson are the guys able to be sent down with out losing anybody. My guess is with Fil and Helm getting ready to come back these three guys will be down anyways so makes sense to give Nyquist a few games before this happens. Andersson staying is because he can play center.

I agree that Tatar has outplayed many on this roster but come playoff time we will need as much depth as possible and no need to lose roster players now when you don't have to.

This is so shortsighted. How on earth can you fully expect this team to make the playoffs considering a) the amount of points we have so far, b) the amount of games we've already played especially compared to the other teams in contention of playoff spots and c) the schedule that's lying ahead with special regards to the amount of road games where we've been oh so brilliant this season.

Depth in the playoffs won't be of any use to us if we don't make the playoffs and thus it is a horrible move to send down one of the very few players (Tatar) who was actually putting up some points and even in a bottom 6 role. You want Holland to send down Nyquist, Tatar and Andersson once everybody's healthy? Do you realize that, by doing this, you send down our best bottom 6 scorers? Guys that have scored more than Miller, Eaves and Tootoo in less games? I don't even bother to compare them to Emmerton and Abdelkader, the latter of those two even getting ample top 6 time.

This season is not made for asset management especially when your organization has so many forward prospects coming up each season anyway for the foreseeable future.

GT500x

Im OK where we're at
Jun 15, 2008
My comfort zone
I have the feeling one of either Nyquist or Tatar is going to be traded for another old player. That would bother me greatly when Cleary well is past his best-by date. Cleary must have pics of Babs and Kenny making out or something.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
d71.jpg

Holland, I try to defend you. I try my hardest. Quit making me look bad.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I have the feeling one of either Nyquist or Tatar is going to be traded for another old player. That would bother me greatly when Cleary well is past his best-by date. Cleary must have pics of Babs and Kenny making out or something.

Of course this will happen. Tatar for Selänne and Nyquist for Jagr. And 8-year extension for Cleary.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
:cry:

I guess we aren't allowed to use the waivers anymore. I'd have much rather seen Abby/Cleary go but if it means that Nyquist is into the top 6 then I'm no longer too angry. I think a team would have taking Cleary off of waivers but Abdelkader would have made it through.

The only reason I can see for doing this cap management. By keeping Tatar done it doesn't allow him to ask for a big raise on his 2nd contract (though doing this can lead to a Turris situation).

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
First logical post.

Why would this team need depth for the playoffs? They have no depth for the regular season, which generally means no playoffs.

Cleary is not depth. He is a body that takes up a roster space. Has been for going on 2 seasons now.
Bertuzzi is not depth. He is LTIR candidate who will be very fortunate to continue his career on the ice.
Samuelsson is depth. He is a body that prevents players of the future (Tatar, Nyquist) from maturing into the players of now.

We had this same problem last year. Lots of people said, "oh, don't worry about Smith being down in GR, he's future depth, we needed to sign White to add depth." Don't you wish that rather than signing White last year, the Wings had gone with Smith playing next to Lidstrom, learning from him? I'd much rather Smith's rookie mistakes be made next to Lidstrom last year than Quincey this year.

Wouldn't you rather have Tatar and Nyquist and Andersson learning their game while Datsyuk is still around? Zetterberg is still productive? Tatar and Nyquist are ready. They have produced at every level they have played at, including the NHL. There is no need for them to play 20 mins a game in GR. They've done that. They've proven they can handle that and more.

5 years ago when the Wings were an incredibly deep team I was absolutely on board with the young guys waiting their turn. At that time there were veteran players that were effective at the NHL level and that depth keep the young guys down. That situation does not exist today. Not even close. It barely existed last year.

This teams "ceiling" is making it to the 1st round. That's it. Anything beyond that would be the result of an extremely favorable set of circumstances. So, what good does it do to have Cleary on this team at all? Samuelsson? Miller?

The main goal of this Wings team should be to build a solid foundation for the immediate future. Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Helm, Kronwall are enough of a veteran presence to show the young guys what it takes to be a Red Wing. Pretty much everyone else is a body that either needs to produce or make way for the next wave of players.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Why would this team need depth for the playoffs? They have no depth for the regular season, which generally means no playoffs.

Cleary is not depth. He is a body that takes up a roster space. Has been for going on 2 seasons now.
Bertuzzi is not depth. He is LTIR candidate who will be very fortunate to continue his career on the ice.
Samuelsson is depth. He is a body that prevents players of the future (Tatar, Nyquist) from maturing into the players of now.

We had this same problem last year. Lots of people said, "oh, don't worry about Smith being down in GR, he's future depth, we needed to sign White to add depth." Don't you wish that rather than signing White last year, the Wings had gone with Smith playing next to Lidstrom, learning from him? I'd much rather Smith's rookie mistakes be made next to Lidstrom last year than Quincey this year.

Wouldn't you rather have Tatar and Nyquist and Andersson learning their game while Datsyuk is still around? Zetterberg is still productive? Tatar and Nyquist are ready. They have produced at every level they have played at, including the NHL. There is no need for them to play 20 mins a game in GR. They've done that. They've proven they can handle that and more.

5 years ago when the Wings were an incredibly deep team I was absolutely on board with the young guys waiting their turn. At that time there were veteran players that were effective at the NHL level and that depth keep the young guys down. That situation does not exist today. Not even close. It barely existed last year.

This teams "ceiling" is making it to the 1st round. That's it. Anything beyond that would be the result of an extremely favorable set of circumstances. So, what good does it do to have Cleary on this team at all? Samuelsson? Miller?

The main goal of this Wings team should be to build a solid foundation for the immediate future. Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Helm, Kronwall are enough of a veteran presence to show the young guys what it takes to be a Red Wing. Pretty much everyone else is a body that either needs to produce or make way for the next wave of players.

Good post. Stop being so rational.

RedWingsNow*

Yeah, but the scoring pressure will be somewhat off for Cleary and Abdelkader while they also face worse competition. They're not going to blow it as checkers.

This isn't rocket science.

Cleary and Abs will play on a checking line with Helm. That's what they do.
They won't be ruining Datsyuk.
Nuff said

RedWingsNow*

I wonder why Babcock is sticking Nyquist on a scoring line but wouldn't consider Tatar on a scoring line?

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
I hope this is just Holland and Babcocks way of saying they think Nyquist is top6 ready now and that Tatar will eventually be but is currently a 3rd liner. If this is not the case then I don't get it...:help: If I don't see Nyquist in the top6 I will be furious.

In Tatar's callup I've seen a player more ready for the NHL game than Nyquist. He Tomas wins board battles and is always ready to shoot. He's just a stronger player at this point IMO.

For the people defending this move how can you just blindly agree with everything management has done? They are managing this team like it is a stanley cup contender, and quite frankly IT IS NOT. I'm not saying calling up Nyquist was a mistake, I would like him up but not at the expense of Tatar.

With who is currently up:
Flip-Zetterberg-Franzen
Brunner-Datsyuk-Nyquist
Tootoo-Andersson-Cleary
Miller/Eaves-Emmerton-Abdelkader

When Helm comes back I would rather them waive Cleary (won't happen)....but they will send #63 down.

Flip-Zetterberg-Franzen
Brunner-Datsyuk-Nyquist
Tootoo-Helm-Tatar
Cleary-Emmerton-Abdelkader

^---Want that.

Reds4Life

Dec 24, 2007
I hope Holland is fired. Such an overrated GM. Hopefully, Babcock is given a huge warning. I would not mind to see him go either.

crashman

Cleary would be claimed on waivers. I doubt Eaves or Huskins would be though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad