Recalled/Assigned: Nyquist up, Tatar down

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Not if Holland doesnt sign a bunch of garbage and mans up and waives/trades the billion mediocre forwards on the roster.

If Babcock chooses not to play a forward who Holland purposefully brings up to play, that is poor management by Babcock. Sure, Holland made some poor choices in signing players we didn't need, but Babcock made the conscious decision to sit Nyquist over other players who were more deserving of the press box.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If Babcock chooses not to play a forward who Holland purposefully brings up to play, that is poor management by Babcock. Sure, Holland made some poor choices in signing players we didn't need, but Babcock made the conscious decision to sit Nyquist over other players who were more deserving of the press box.

It looked like they called Nyquist to play before Filppula comes back and at his spot, but now Valtteri came back surprisingly early.

They have published three different starting rosters for the Flames game already, so I wouldn't do any conclusions before I really see who will play.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Nope, not with that poster.

The Brunner signing was all Babcock, but bad coaching decisions are all on Holland.

Helm's injury; Put that on Holland as well.

The Brunner signing was zero percent Ken Holland. OK, 1%, he did fax over the paper work.

Good job Kenny. Way to not screw that part up.

Stop signing garbage and keep Nyquist and Tatar both on the main club. Waive Cleary or see if you can get a 59th round pick for him. Put Gator back in the AHL where he belongs and Babcock can't make any other decision.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The Brunner signing was zero percent Ken Holland. OK, 1%, he did fax over the paper work.

Good job Kenny. Way to not screw that part up.

Stop signing garbage and keep Nyquist and Tatar both on the main club. Waive Cleary or see if you can get a 59th round pick for him. Put Gator back in the AHL where he belongs and Babcock can't make any other decision.

They already had a scouting report on him before Babcock was impressed at the Worlds. Every signing on this team is done by Holland, you want to ding him for the bad, you have to acknowledge the good ones. Sorry that is how it works.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
They already had a scouting report on him before Babcock was impressed at the Worlds. Every signing on this team is done by Holland, you want to ding him for the bad, you have to acknowledge the good ones. Sorry that is how it works.

And let's not pretend Holland is working solo like a lone wolf. There's a whole team of people assisting in every decision.

That may terrify some people that a whole room of Red Wings brass agreed Quincey for a 1st was a good deal. ;)

Chillwavin

Dec 13, 2010
ann arbor
Based on the Mlive articles I have read and my best guess...

I believe the thought process is Babcock does not want 2 guys that he views as "small offensive players who are not responsible defensively" in the line-up at the same time. He believes they can grind out close games with "responsible" and "safe" players in the line-ups and count on the big guns to get them scoring. Having both Nyquist and Tatar in the line-up does accomplish this in Babcock's eyes.

Though I disagree with that philosophy at this given juncture.

disclaimer- this is just my best guess. But based on everything I have gathered from what I have read I feel that's what is happening.

Flip is up --> 1 too many forwards --> can't send any of the "garbage" down ---> send tatar down --> Babcock not happy with fwd group composition --> Nyquist sent up instead of keeping tatar ---> Tootoo in press box.

This is the reasoning as best I can come up with. If this is the case, isn't the "blame" on Babcock, not Holland?

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Flip is up --> 1 too many forwards --> can't send any of the "garbage" down ---> send tatar down --> Babcock not happy with fwd group composition --> Nyquist sent up instead of keeping tatar ---> Tootoo in press box.

This is the reasoning as best I can come up with. If this is the case, isn't the "blame" on Babcock, not Holland?

Holland created the logjam though. So if there is blame it's split between them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad