Recalled/Assigned: Nyquist up, Tatar down

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I see there is 8 pages mostly rage against Holland and Babcock.

But I do not think this is a bad move. Maybe Tatar will be down for some games and then called up again soon.
He needs some polishing. He was great in the offensive zone when we establish our game in the offensive zone. But we struggle to do so.
Babcock wants the team to play good solid defence 1st, he is very conservative when it comes to offense.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

But I do not think this is a bad move. Maybe Tatar will be down for some games and then called up again soon.
He needs some polishing. He was great in the offensive zone when we establish our game in the offensive zone. But we struggle to do so.
Babcock wants the team to play good solid defence 1st, he is very conservative when it comes to offense.

At this point he needs to keep playing the NHL to get better. Refining his game in the AHL after three seasons is a waste of time.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
At this point he needs to keep playing the NHL to get better. Refining his game in the AHL after three seasons is a waste of time.

Working in 4 rookies, Kinld and Kronwall getting his new role is too much at the same time.
I like Tatar a lot, his offensive game is great. He'll be back.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007

And what better way to do this than alongside a Datsyuk or Zetterberg.

He'll get more experience playing against better players, will spend time in the offensive zone with better offensive players (with all due respect to Andersson and Eaves), and can't possibly do a worse job than Clearly or Abdelkader (and I mean that wholeheartedly.)

crashman

I think he feels the team has to be conservative offensively to compensate for our weak defense.

Why else would he have had Cleary, Abby and Datsyuk together?

This is unrelated, but I hope they trade Abdelkader if he has any value. Between Tootoo, Sheahan, Andersson and Emmerton, he's pretty expendable.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Since the Hossa asked to come to Detroit, Holland's record has been pretty weak.

But you have to give Holland credit - especially for the 08 cup run.

First of all, he navigated the return from the cap, shaving off half his payroll while maintaining a competitive club

He made several sharp signings in 06-- Cleary, Samuelsson, Lilja, Osgood etc
Good bargain-basement signings to fill positions

Secondly, he rectified his mistake, fired Lewis and hired Babcock.

Thirdly, as the team was getting better and Datsyuk and Zetterberg took control of the team, he made key decisions.

He let Lang, Schneider and some of the older, slow, one-way guys go.

He added Rafalski and Stuart, to really energize our blueline.
Some will give him lots of credit for McCarty and Drake. I don't think they were that important.

But since then, Holland has gone cold.

i do give him credit for alot of things, I just suggest that some give him credit simply because of his name

he navigated the return from the cap for sure but he didnt have to actually go out and find any elite core players, he simply let bottom feeders walk and replaced them with cheaper and sometimes younger bottom feeders(is it sorta like bringing in white, coliacovo, sammy, huskins etc this past summer?)

rafalski signing was a good one but I dont think fletecher is a great GM because he signed parise or suter as free agents(hometown boys signed to more then others offered, so otherwise simply bought aka the new york yankees business model)

stuart for a 2nd rd pick at the deadline was a good move

to me its like people claiming shero is a great GM because he signed Dupuis and encouraged the coach to give more ice time to crosby, malkin and letang. Give me a break any monkey could make that decision. No its the moves to acquire Neal and Niskanen for Goligoski and turning a UFA you couldnt afford to keep into Suter, and an 8th overall pick and freeing up 60 million dollars that has made Shero a great GM. Now if KH goes out and trades Filppula to lets say Edmonton for MPS and the 8th overall pick and then trades Ericsson to lets say the Isles for Moulson and Hamonic I would say he was/is a genius..

Hollands most impactful personnel moves were quite literally 15 plus years ago where correct me if I am wrong, traded a bag of pucks for Draper and traded Primeau for Shanahan?

Last edited:

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I think he feels the team has to be conservative offensively to compensate for our weak defense.

Why else would he have had Cleary, Abby and Datsyuk together?

This is unrelated, but I hope they trade Abdelkader if he has any value. Between Tootoo, Sheahan, Andersson and Emmerton, he's pretty expendable.
That's what I think.
Babcock has Tatar, Nyquist, Andersson, Smith, Lashoff,*Kindl (not rookie, but...) and Kronwall, that is 5 rookies+Kindl+Krowall with a much bigger role. Then Quincey and Ericsson.
With this defence and so many rookies this team would struggle a lot.
It will be interesting to see how this develops.
I liked what I saw from Tatar and Andersson.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Or maybe just waive/trade the two worst forwards (Gator/Cleary) on the team who are complete garbage and probably wouldn't succeed in the AHL?

Just a thought.

If you combined Cleary and Gator into one super player, they would still be terrible.

Who is going to trade for garbage? If no one trades for the garbage, do you really want $4.6M of cap sitting in the AHL?

GT500x

Im OK where we're at
Jun 15, 2008
My comfort zone
Abby is not garbage. He's being misused. He's a hammer when we need a screwdriver. Stick him on the 4rth line as a winger tasked with hitting and occasionally fighting while playing sound defensively and it'll be good. I believe he will improve when kept within his role and ability as he gets older. We can't do anything about his pay.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
That's a fair question, I don't really know.

Could be because Nyquist is/was the more productive player in the minors?

In my opinion our best line-up would have Nyquist on a line with Datsyuk and Tatar on the 3rd line. I think that givse us the best possible roster for a playoff push.

Maybe they don't want to take both Tatar and Nyquist from GR so they have a scorer down there?

It's hard to say. I'd love to see a line-up like...

Fil-Z-Brunner
Nyquist-Dats-Franzen
Tatar-Helm/Andersson-Eaves
Cleary-Emmerton-Abby

Never gonna happen though.

That line up would be awesome except Tootoo has been playing too well not to be in the lineup. Swap Tootoo for Cleary, Eaves or Abby. Again Hollands logjam of forwards.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Abby is not garbage. He's being misused. He's a hammer when we need a screwdriver. Stick him on the 4rth line as a winger tasked with hitting and occasionally fighting while playing sound defensively and it'll be good. I believe he will improve when kept within his role and ability as he gets older. We can't do anything about his pay.
It seems like, according to Babcock anyway, that defensive players can't be misused; only offensive players can. A defensive player with too many minutes will "create space" and keep the score even.

RedWingsNow*

Working in 4 rookies, Kinld and Kronwall getting his new role is too much at the same time.
I like Tatar a lot, his offensive game is great. He'll be back.

That's too bad. You shouldn't have saved up all your rookies for the same year:)

Next year, it only gets more crowded

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
That's too bad. You shouldn't have saved up all your rookies for the same year:)

Next year is going to be exceptionally tumultuous in my approximation. Nyquist and Tatar should have a full time position, and then there's the matter of Ferraro, Jarnkrok, and Sheahan(not that any of these players are guaranteed roster positions). We still have a log jam in the bottom 6, as well as players like Sammy and Bert who still have another year on their contracts. God, I can only imagine what would happen if Holland re-signed Dan Cleary. It'd only make things more crowded(for no reason, obviously)

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013

If we had Nyquist and Smith up most of last year and planned better for Lidstrom leaving than just hoping Sutter signed here than all these guys might not be so inexperienced.

Like others said, next year it gets even worse but the good news is we are going to become a much younger team with potential and more speed and then we can strengthen our top 6 a little bit

There might be growing pains but we need to transition from old vets to our young guys instead of them wasting away in the AHL. Then if we can bring in a big name or 2 for our top 6 and top 2 for D we can still compete for the cup for Dats and Z's last years while Jarnkrok is being groomed. I really hope Jarnkrok comes in to learn from Datsyuk and Z while theyre still here.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I truly believe, and from interviews it seems so do our core players, that the elite veteran presence taught them so much. Echoing sentiments from earlier, Holland used to do that with the team. But not anymore? Why the change?

Aug 6, 2012
I truly believe, and from interviews it seems so do our core players, that the elite veteran presence taught them so much. Echoing sentiments from earlier, Holland used to do that with the team. But not anymore? Why the change?

Datsyuk wouldn't be half the player he is today if it weren't for Hull and some of the other veterans.

From the way he treats his sticks to the way he thinks the game, Pavs was greatly influenced by the veterans. He's stated it many times in interviews of how great their impact had on him. Z too.

It's a shame that Holland apparently doesn't value that anymore. Just think of what Smith could've learned from Lidstrom. Or what Nyquist and Tatar could both be learning from Z and Pavs. If we want to keep a solid core in the future they need to learn how to be a "Red Wing", and the best way to do that is by being with guys like Z, Pavs and Nick on a daily basis.

crashman

I have a feeling Holland already has him slotted in as a life long Red Wing, but I'm pretty curious what another teams would be willing to trade for him. I don't think he's garbage, and I agree that he's being misused. But I still don't think he's much of a factor, even as a 4th line winger. We have a few young guys with more offensive upside that can replace him now, not to mention what's available out there in FA. I think Emmerton is on Abdelkaders level now (maybe not physically), and will probably continue to develop.

Personally, I value Drew Miller over Abdelkader, but maybe that's just me.

NewHopeForEveryone

Mar 24, 2011
:cry: When I saw it first...
:rant: When I used to it...
:shakehead: Now im still confused

but...

what I want now is Tatar demanding a trade somwhere out of this team

look what other teams are doing with their rookies...

ebis

Dec 10, 2012
Czech Republic
I was really disappointed. DRW were one of my favorite teams growing up so I will always like the team but the way they are treating Tatar is just not nice. The guy is really talented and all his talent is going to waste, he needs to play with the best. If he is not allowed to do that in the NHL, he should do it in KHL. Trade him or lose him.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Apparently, this is why he was sent down.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/03/valtteri_filppulas_return_to_d.html

"I think Filppula is back in so suddenly there's no power-play time for Tatar," coach Mike Babcock said. "You got to give Tats a ton of credit. He came up for one game ... and he earned himself 17 games. We'll give Gus an opportunity and see what he can earn himself.

He earned it, but he's still going back down. Tatar can still get his touches on the third line. Or hell, have Flipper center the third line and give Tatar top6 time. That'll give him some touches. Point is, the team is so much stronger with him in the lineup. He's outplayed at least 6 of our forwards and he makes stuff happen.

And like Babcock has had to admit, the kid *earned* his spot. Apparently that doesn't mean jack because they're still sending him down. Let's not kid ourselves, this is "asset management." The only question is, is it good asset management that won't bite us in the ass later.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Who is going to trade for garbage? If no one trades for the garbage, do you really want $4.6M of cap sitting in the AHL?

I'm not saying stick Abdelkader in the AHL. However, wasted Capspace in the minors is a lot less concerning than bad players blocking the way of players that have the potential to help improve this team going forward.

Aug 6, 2012
Apparently, this is why he was sent down.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/03/valtteri_filppulas_return_to_d.html

He earned it, but he's still going back down. Tatar can still get his touches on the third line. Or hell, have Flipper center the third line and give Tatar top6 time. That'll give him some touches. Point is, the team is so much stronger with him in the lineup. He's outplayed at least 6 of our forwards and he makes stuff happen.

And like Babcock has had to admit, the kid *earned* his spot. Apparently that doesn't mean jack because they're still sending him down. Let's not kid ourselves, this is "asset management." The only question is, is it good asset management that won't bite us in the ass later.

Take his comments with a grain of salt. If he earned it, then he'd still beip here. Apparently Gator is more vital to the PP than Tats :laugh:

Joke of an orginization.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Take his comments with a grain of salt. If he earned it, then he'd still beip here. Apparently Gator is more vital to the PP than Tats :laugh:

Joke of an orginization.

That's really one of my problems with this coach/front office. They like to preach the work hard and earn it line. Yet they hardly seem to practice that tenet. Seems like you are either favored or you aren't. This is the exact opposite of the way a team should be run when transitioning to younger players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->