Value of: Nyquist to NJD

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I remember an interview, where Zetterberg said that his back hurted more years before the injury at Olympics, than it has done after.

Yeah, I heard him say it is better, but that doesn't mean it doesn't affect his day to day life. Just because he can play 82 GP, doesn't mean that many of those nights weren't a struggle. Obviously he isn't going to sit their and constantly talk about how uncomfortable he is. If he didn't practice in last half of last year, and still played that isn't being done, with the hope of circumventing LTIR. If Hossa can retire with allergies, then the Wings or anyone else for that matter don't need some elaborate year and half ruse to get Z on LTIR.

Reactions: Skippy73 and Henkka

Devilsfan92

Jan 4, 2008
Did you sleep under a rock for the last 5 years? Wings "cap hell" is pretty much clearing up now. Unless you think simply being up close to the cap ceiling is "cap hell".

Admittedly, maybe “cap hell” is a bit of on over statement. However there’s a lot of contracts in Detroit’s books and none of them seem to be worth it. Yet they take up term and money.

I just don’t understand what Holland is doing. Trying to embrace the rebuild? Then why resign Greene and grab Vanek. Sure Jimmy’s off the books next year but is Bernier the guy you’re going with.

I liked Holland’s draft, high draft, but I don’t understand the FA aspect.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Admittedly, maybe “cap hell” is a bit of on over statement. However there’s a lot of contracts in Detroit’s books and none of them seem to be worth it. Yet they take up term and money.

I just don’t understand what Holland is doing. Trying to embrace the rebuild? Then why resign Greene and grab Vanek. Sure Jimmy’s off the books next year but is Bernier the guy you’re going with.

Holland's always been about having veterans around to mentor the kids.

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010

Going full oilers and throwing your young players to the wolves isn’t an optimal rebuild method.

Devilsfan92

Jan 4, 2008
Holland's always been about having veterans around to mentor the kids.

Which it might be a good thing, but that doesn’t mean it’ll work. Holland is starting to remind me of Lou in his last years in Jersey. They both had tremendous success, for many many years. But they’re blinded by that and don’t see the game changing and moving on from what was. So they rinse and repeat and refuse to evolve.

As on outside perspective, it seems as though they’re just trying to tred water, maybe make the playoffs and “see what happens” but to me it doesn’t seem that group of Wings will do any damage, but also won’t be a bottom dweller.

Devilsfan92

Jan 4, 2008
Going full oilers and throwing your young players to the wolves isn’t an optimal rebuild method.

they already have the veteran experience though, adding more isn’t helping. Maybe Zadina is ready next year but Vanek took his spot, just wait it out and be patient. Unless they just see Vanek as a deadline play, gain a 2nd(maybe more) why not just let the youngings play? Or is Vanek that ‘Veteran presence’ that you want?..

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Vanek adds the veteran presence, but I still get the sneaking suspicion he was added to blow up AA's trade value. Those two meshed very well together last time.

Reactions: Henkka

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
No real interest in a Nyquist, unless he’s available for a bargain deal. I’d give what Shero gave for Grabner, not much more.

I thought maybe he had a couple years left, similar to a Tatar contract. So I looked at Detroit and their contracts. Holy crap that looks like cap hell for nobody really special. Wtf happened to Holland? Losing touch?

They have 17 million coming off the books next offseason with none of those players worth re-signing. The next offseason they have ANOTHER 17 million coming off the books, with only Mantha and AA as the young players probably worth re-signing. Somehow, I think they'll survive.

Reactions: Oddbob and Henkka

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
they already have the veteran experience though, adding more isn’t helping. Maybe Zadina is ready next year but Vanek took his spot, just wait it out and be patient. Unless they just see Vanek as a deadline play, gain a 2nd(maybe more) why not just let the youngings play? Or is Vanek that ‘Veteran presence’ that you want?..
I could go either way on the Vanek signing. One one hand we have plenty of wingers that are close to nhl ready, on the other Nyquist is almost assuredly getting shipped out at some point, so Vanek is a known quantity for us.

Green on the other hand was necessity, out D is still bad with him, but without oof.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Cap hell for me is, that you are full against a cap, and having even bigger extensions coming and not having cap space for them.

Red Wings situation is not like that AT ALL. Team is set and full against cap, but you have to ice a hockey team. That is what it is. Ready for season.

Like obey86 wrote, there's a lot of cap space opening on the becoming off-seasons and not even need for big raises. Mostly ELC kids entering in from recent drafts. Big-salary veterans retiring on 1-2 year scale.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
I'm not denying he didn't have that injury, but the surgery seems to have fixed him perfectly.

Zetterberg has been playing great hockey and never misses a game, so I have hard time to believe he is in a bad condition. Kyle Quincey had the same operation and he told later that the back hasn't been bothering him at all since.

He's the captain and will play through anything because hesnknownhhhglso yeah it might look odd to some but no need for HF to go acting like they know sports medicine.

He's had back problems for many years and is a warrior but it's taken a toll on him and he needs to not have more problems in the future

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I would like to acquire Nyquist assuming the price is right, but I would not necessarily call the Devils wingers "weak"

they have the MVP of the league
they have 25-30 goal scorer Kyle Palmieri
they have ~45 point scorer Marcus Johnasson
they have Jesper Bratt who had a great rookie year as a 19 year old
they have Miles Wood who just put up nearly 20 goals in his 2nd year

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I heard he sneezed and the team is concerned he has an auto immune disorder where he is allergic to playing for a team that has to pay him. Really a shame to see these guys develop these legit incurable ailments.

Henrik Zetterberg literally has a back injury that cost him half of 2014 and is 37. He couldn't practice all second half of last season. Get this crap out of here.

Last edited:

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I'm not denying he didn't have that injury, but the surgery seems to have fixed him perfectly.

Zetterberg has been playing great hockey and never misses a game, so I have hard time to believe he is in a bad condition. Kyle Quincey had the same operation and he told later that the back hasn't been bothering him at all since.
This might be the only time anyone has ever seen me agreeing with henka. But he's right. If it was as bad as they're trying to let on now it would of been a bigger story during the season and he would of been noticeably laboring on the ice.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
This might be the only time anyone has ever seen me agreeing with henka. But he's right. If it was as bad as they're trying to let on now it would of been a bigger story during the season and he would of been noticeably laboring on the ice.

I don’t buy this.

Z’s back seems kinda more degenerative. Like wake up after the game and it hurts like hell... but when he’s actually on the ice and loosening it up and the adrenaline flows, he’s good.

Just because a guy isn’t grimacing with every hit like Yzerman did in the 2002 playoffs doesn’t mean that his injury isn’t serious.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Did you not watch any games at all last year? Jimmy could skate faster than Z in full on goalie equipment.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
After trading Mrazek and losing Coreau they badly needed a goalie that can actually play in the NHL. Bernier is a stopgap until their prospects are ready.
Vanek is a 1-year mercenary, either he helps guys like Athanasiou increase their point totals (and trade value) and/or he gets traded at the TDL for a pick.

Most of Wings cap situation requires a little more insight than you get from just briefly scanning capfriendly. That's why every offseason there are people clamoring "how will the Wings re-sign X and Y without trading someone??" and every offseason the Wings re-sign their players without trading anyone. Embracing the rebuild has less to do how much they spend and more to do with having 30+ picks combined in the 17-19 drafts (more than any other team in the league). They'll have a huge amount of cheap youth entering in the next few years.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
With respect to Zett if he wants to retire all he has to say is that his back hurts too much to play. Diagnostic imaging will show degeneration and there is no real objective science to disprove pain. He’s played a lot of years in the NHL and I don’t doubt any player has aches and pains after that many years in the league.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Before we trade Nyquist he needs to show that he still can play in high tempo. He is going to t traded at the end end of the season just like Tatar was

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad