Recalled/Assigned: Nyquist sent back to Grand Rapids (UPD: Recalled again)

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I don't even think it's about confidence at this point; it's more along the lines of where does he belong?! You keep calling him up and sending him down... Scratching him too. Nyquist can wear a Red Wings jersey, a suit in the press box, and a Griffins jersey all in one week.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think this is Babcock just saying he won't play Nyquist. He seems to want his group of grinders and anyone who can't grind is not welcome.

Even if it's Helm coming back (and I love Helm), that doesn't do much to dispel the idea that Babcock wants a ton of grinders. With Andersson up there's actually an extra center. Instead of keeping Nyquist on the wing, it looks like they might keep Andersson and play him on the wing instead...

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
We're going to have to just accept the fact Nyquist and Tatar won't be up for good until they're no longer waiver exempt. :(

At least it looks as though Helm is back.

I'm guessing

Fil-Z-Brunner
Mule-Dats-Gator
Cleary-Helm-Andersson
Miller-Emmerton-Tootoo
Eaves

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
:banghead:
I know he looked timid and nervous but the only way that gets fixed is more time to get comfortable and confident.
He better get a spot next season.

The only bright side is that Helmer must be close.

GT500x

Im OK where we're at
Jun 15, 2008
My comfort zone
I don't have a problem with this because Helm is coming back. Nyquist needs to get stronger on the puck. If he was that, he wouldn't be going back to GR already. The management isn't being dumb in this instance.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
God I just want to know what the hell Nyquist is. 5-10 solid games with consistent linemates (preferably on a top line) and see if the kid has what it takes or is just an AHL all star.

Guess I won't know until 2015 when he's on another team.
He was sent down to make room for Helm.
That doesn't make any sense. Helm and Nyquist do not compete for a spot. Helm is a center, Nyquist is a winger. And no one here is advocating that Nyquist stay up to keep Helm off. We're more looking at the completely unproductive wingers.
Nyquist needs to get stronger on the puck.
The guy is dominating the AHL. How is he going to learn to get stronger on the puck against a bunch of guys he's toying with? He's gotta take the next step and adjust, not play down a level.

Last edited by a moderator:

DRWCountryClub

Jun 28, 2010
They shouldn't have bothered bringing him up regardless.

Leave him down, or bring him up permanently.

It is still seems like poor asset management to me.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
I just posted this on another site, so hooray for cross-posting:

I hate to be “that guy,” but doesn’t anyone remember that this is only Nyquist’s 2nd pro season? Sure he lit up the A last season and this season, and he’ll most likely get a full-time roster spot NEXT year. You know, when there’s more than half a season to play.
Tatar has paid his dues for 4 years, and he’s ready for the big time. It shows.

This would have been Smith’s 3rd season in the A, and he’s arguably not quite ready (at least, I think he’s still WAY too unsteady in his own end). I’d actually preferred he spent one more season with the Griffins, but hey, what do I know?

Kindl spent 3 full seasons in Grand Rapids before coming up and playing half of 2010-2011, and 2/3 of the season last year. This year he’s starting to come into his own. A full year of quality playing time next year will likely see him break out completely. He’s got to be able to get comfortable in the lineup, and Babcock’s propensity to scratch Kindl at will has got to be a little unnerving for the guy.

Lashoff would have been playing his 3rd season in the A (2.5 if you count his first being cut to 35 games by injury), and the reason he’s here now is because he fills a need. Does he need seasoning? Hell yeah he does, but he’s got a good foundation upon which to build.

I don’t know, I’m just rambling at this point, but I guess my point is: Patience. Yes, we like to see movement, and we see other teams in the league playing young guys right out of the gate, sometimes that’s not the best way to handle young guys…

... wait, that’s terrible.

Anyway, wait. Just wait. Previously there was some guy named Lindstrom or something playing for the Wings, and then there was everyone else; they were all complimentary pieces to The Perfect Human. Now he’s gone, and there are voids to fill. Would Schultz have been a nice piece? Sure. Would Dekeyser be a great kid to have going forward? Of course. Will the Wings be that much worse without them? Only time will tell, and unless anyone has a crystal ball hidden up their ***** (which might be groud to a fine powder after this “interesting” season—can you tell me the powerball numbers for this week, btw?), it would seem that it’s the only thing we can do.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
That doesn't make any sense. Helm and Nyquist do not compete for a spot. Helm is a center, Nyquist is a winger. And no one here is advocating that Nyquist stay up to keep Helm off. We're more looking at the completely unproductive wingers.

Looking at them to what? Waive them?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I don’t know, I’m just rambling at this point, but I guess my point is: Patience. Yes, we like to see movement, and we see other teams in the league playing young guys right out of the gate, sometimes that’s not the best way to handle young guys…

You apologists are creating false choices. No one said for Nyquist and Tatar and Smith to skip the AHL.

But guys like Tatar have been there for years and shown they can not only compete there but dominate. Nyquist has shown similar things. That's not rushing your young players right out of the game. And Tatar STILL isn't with the team full time.

Apparently it's wanting to rush them if you think a couple of seasons in the AHL playing at a superior level than the competition is enough to show you deserve a shot at the NHL.

GT500x

Im OK where we're at
Jun 15, 2008
My comfort zone
God I just want to know what the hell Nyquist is. 5-10 solid games with consistent linemates (preferably on a top line) and see if the kid has what it takes or is just an AHL all star.

Guess I won't know until 2015 when he's on another team.

In my opinion, unless Nyquist gets stronger on the puck or starts dangling like Datsyuk he'll struggle to crack the top six. If you pair him with someone, that might make space for him things will be different obviously but I expect him to end up a 3rd liner.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Looking at them to what? Waive them?

Scratch? Trade? Waive?

I really don't care. They're not doing much for the team and I'd rather know what the hell we have in Nyquist than sit on our hands another year. Or I'd like to call up Tatar and secure a playoff spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad