Recalled/Assigned: Nyquist sent back to Grand Rapids (UPD: Recalled again)

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
If ya'll haven't guessed it yet, Nyquist is the new Hudler. Babcock is going to make insurmountable demands on Nyquist to get physically bigger, fast and stronger and make him pay the price when Nyquist can't meet those demands. Babcock will play him 8 minutes a night in a non-descript role, call him out in the media for not "competing" enough, and only after a few seasons of Nyquist accumulating enough experience in the NHL (essentially via the ice time of a 9th/10th forward) will he have painstakingly adjusted enough to Babcock's liking in order to get top 6 ice time.

In the end, he won't be any bigger. He won't be much stronger. He won't be much faster. He'll simply have finally gained enough NHL experience to learn how to handle NHL level players and reduce or nullify the limiting effects of his physical stature.

GT500x

Im OK where we're at
Jun 15, 2008
My comfort zone
Right, but it's harder for Andersson to knock the puck into the net. I guess it's all about the defense-first priority.

But even still, Nyquist-Andersson-Eaves (or somebody) would have been a balanced line with speed, skill, and some size/grit. That hardly seems like a line that's going to encounter a ton of problems in any one category.

This is sort of what I just said in the Tatar thread, but why isn't Babcock okay with hybrid lines? You put a skilled guy with some big defensive guys and let them make up for each other's weaknesses. Is that not a thing the Wings do anymore? When in doubt, more size and more defense?

Yup. The leadership has determined that this team's best chance of winning is by them buckling down and gritting out 2-1 or 1-0 wins. That doesn't leave much room for players that can't "take care of the puck" defensively in every area of the ice.

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
So stupid. I'm tired of the Red Wings and the Griffens playing catch. I still don't get why Tatar was sent back down, he was producing.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
The 2nd half of this season is no longer a "tryout" for Nyquist and Tatar.

I feel they have "made" next years team.

At this point it is a "tryout" for the veterans... or more so a "who will be removed battle royal" with only a few old dudes left standing.

I hope I hope.

DRWCountryClub

Jun 28, 2010

At this point it is a "tryout" for the veterans... or more so a "who will be removed battle royal" with only a few old dudes left standing.

I hope I hope.

That would be nice.

I don't see Nyquist having a guaranteed spot next year, I really don't.:help:

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground

I hope I hope.

As do I, that's one of the only possible scenarios that I'd be ok with.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Tatar REALLY started showing what he could do two and a half seasons ago. There will be roster spots opening up after this year.

Tatar has consistently shown that he's better than the AHL, and can produce in the NHL, so the time is right. Unfortunately for him, with the logjam at forward, he'll have to be patient and wait for next year (or be traded).

The thing is, it's certainly not a logjam of quality NHL forwards that Kenny seems to think Tatar is stuck behind- it's a group of largely redundant plugs, a few whom could (and hopefully will) be traded at the deadline for a pick or prospects.

After seeing Gus play this year, granted in a very limited role, I don't think he was ready for the NHL game. Not sure how much of that could have been the incredibly short leash that our prospects know exists for them, but he didn't look great.

Tatar did look comfortable and productive, though. He makes this team better now (and will in future seasons). An injury-plagued season is the ideal time to work a young guy into the lineup and see if he's got the minerals for the job. Tats showed that he does, but there's too much dead weight standing in his way. That's on Holland.

What, playing on the 3rd line with limited minutes? You're telling me that playing 1st line minutes, through the playoffs, and taking leadership roles on the team isn't going to help them progress?

I honestly can't agree with you.

Personally, I think they're better served as larger fish in a smaller pond for the moment; they'll be moved over to the bigger pond soon enough.

You can see the improvement in Andersson as his season has progressed on the third line, and I think that Tatar would have showed the same had he been left up. I do think his development would have been better served to continue to get NHL minutes against NHL competition, getting further acclimated to the speed of the game and quality of competition.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Scratch? Trade? Waive?

I really don't care. They're not doing much for the team and I'd rather know what the hell we have in Nyquist than sit on our hands another year. Or I'd like to call up Tatar and secure a playoff spot.

Bad asset management. Once Helm, Samuelsson, and maybe Bertuzzi are back, Nyquist and Tatar no longer have spots in the top-12, even after putting Eaves and Emmerton in the pressbox. And they aren't going to be benched, so then they get sent back down. And now we've lost a bunch of depth for nothing.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
They could have sent down Andersson. Instead of keeping Nyquist up and having 4 centers, they sent him down and now have 5 centers. It's likely that Andersson will play the wing now instead of Nyquist.

That doesn't seem weird to you?

No. Center depth is a good thing. And Andersson has been more effective than Nyquist was overall.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
i am not gonna say its right or wrong but it sure seems like some people have no clue what they're talking about.

what was detroit going to do? That statement almost makes it sound like they had no choice, as in no other choice. Just this one, this was it. Thats bulls... and everyone knows it.

If Nyquist or Tatar are not good enough yet to be in the NHL on THIS DRW team then thats either terrible scouting or terrible drafting or terrible development.

pro sports teams make room for good young players, regardless of how many seasons in the minors they have played to "earn" their dues.

KH had countless other options dont anyone be so ignorant to think that he did not

They can waive scrubs like Miller/Eaves etc to make room, most likely no one will pick them up, and if someone do, it doesn't matter because Andersson, Sheahan etc can easily replace them

Prime examples of the forum disease: Over-rating prospects and under-rating established NHL talent.

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
Right, but it's harder for Andersson to knock the puck into the net. I guess it's all about the defense-first priority.

But even still, Nyquist-Andersson-Eaves (or somebody) would have been a balanced line with speed, skill, and some size/grit. That hardly seems like a line that's going to encounter a ton of problems in any one category.

This is sort of what I just said in the Tatar thread, but why isn't Babcock okay with hybrid lines? You put a skilled guy with some big defensive guys and let them make up for each other's weaknesses. Is that not a thing the Wings do anymore? When in doubt, more size and more defense?

THIS. I've been saying this for a long time now, but our philosophy behind line construction seems to have changed a bit since Scotty left the organization. Does anyone not remember when we used to trot out lines like this beauty from '97:
McCarty - Yzerman - Sandstrom? Babcock likes the idea of "defense by committee" so I don't know why he is so rigid on his offensive philosophy.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Nyquist for Smid? :facepalm:

Brutal. Smid is barely worth a secondary prospect, let alone a top one.

RedWingsNow*

Nyquist for Smid? :facepalm:

Brutal. Smid is barely worth a secondary prospect, let alone a top one.

Yeah, our great #2 overall prospect who is nearly 24 and can't win a spot in the worst Red Wings lineup since he was born... he's worth a legit top pairing defense.

RedWingsNow*

Prime examples of the forum disease: Over-rating prospects and under-rating established NHL talent.

Prime example of company-line-disease... Defend whatever the company says, no matter how stupid it is....

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Filppula is most likely walking this summer. Datsyuk's most likely gone the next summer. Most likely we're going to be down 2 top 6 forwards by the 14-15 season.

Having Tatar and Nyquist up this year over guys like Cleary/Miller/Eaves helps make that transition easier, while not really hurting the team much at all in the present.

You guys have to look a couple steps ahead here. Having Dan Cleary and Drew Miller playing isn't going to make us any better in 2-3 years. Same with signing Bertuzzi and Sammy who are both past their expiration date. These guys should have had spots at the start of the year.

Just like we missed the boat on playing Smith on a roster with Lidstrom, let's not miss the boat on having tatar and nyquist learn from dats and z. Every minute they can spend up learning from those guys is way more valuable than playing against crap in the AHL.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
A prime example of overrating another team's established NHLer who is the season's hottest rumor mill fodder.

I can't believe how quickly Smid has become overrated.

I was being sarcastic because of one his earlier posts. Can't do the sarcasm thingy on my phone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad