Confirmed with Link: Nyquist re-signed for 4 years

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Did they start counting gritty goals for 2 now? I wasn't aware they were more valuable than other types of goals.

More seriously though, what exactly constitutes a "gritty goal".

Is it a Dan Cleary throw it at the net from the side boards and hope it bounces in off someone? or a Justin Abdelkader skate to the front of the net and hope it hits you and bounces in kind of goal?

Gritty goals count for 4 actually. It's kinda like Hockey's version of a grand slam. Soft goals count for 1. Funny deflections are just luck, so those count for half.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
1) For those that don't like this contract ... What contract would you have pushed for?

2) For those that think his production is going to go down. Realize this is a player who has produced at literally every single hockey he has played at, ever. I really wouldn't worry about a guy who has a track record of producing like he does.

3) Nyquist and Tatar are both good. Just be happy you have both of them.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I think this was a great contract. Eats up 2 of his UFA years and we have him at under 5 per season for 4. It was unfortunate that he had the hip injury to slow his production down last year but it made it so we signed him for cheaper than it would have been.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
.3) Nyquist and Tatar are both good. Just be happy you have both of them.

This is the most important point to me. If you want to win in this league, you surround your centers with wingers like Nyquist and Tatar. Puck hounds that know who to find the net. Furthermore, when I watch these guys, I see two players that work their ass off at both ends of the ice.

And the team has Nyquist locked up below $5 million. A price that gives you plenty of room to add nice pieces throughout the lineup. He's a top 6 winger. This is the price unless you want to go bargain bin hunting on chronic underachievers like Stewart every single off-season.

Nyquist accounts for less than 7% of the cap. He scored almost 12% of the team's goals.

Actual Thought*

Did they start counting gritty goals for 2 now? I wasn't aware they were more valuable than other types of goals.

More seriously though, what exactly constitutes a "gritty goal".

Is it a Dan Cleary throw it at the net from the side boards and hope it bounces in off someone? or a Justin Abdelkader skate to the front of the net and hope it hits you and bounces in kind of goal?

Gritty goals count for 1. The difference is they count in the playoffs. As you can see from his stats Nyquist hasn't learned how to score them. The playoff game is completely different than regular season. Nyquist needs to be willing to go to the net. In the playoffs I will take a bunch of Abbys over a timid dipsy doodler who is unable to work in tight space which perfectly describes Nyquist.

Actual Thought*

Depends on the type of goal. One timers are worth 1.2, Homer type goals 2, and anything Nyquist scores is .0000001.

So as you can see, Nyquist isn't a star.

You are aware that Nyquist's production plummets in the playoffs right? You have watched him get knocked off the puck pretty much every time he touches it right? In order to earn his contract he must score goals when it matters. We can't afford a regular season sissy boy at his salary.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Yup just like Zetterberg (no playoff goals this year)... Thus Zetterberg is a sissy boy too... and he can't even grow a beard!!

:sarcasm:

Most people have been worried about Zetterberg's play for the past couple seasons, now. Injuries have really limited his game from what it used to be, and it is starting to show.

I don't think it is fair to simply dismiss the concerns regarding Nyquist's play in the playoffs. People use the Datsyuk comparison, but how many years in a row did Datsyuk lead the team in points prior to his breakout year in the playoffs? And how often does a player go from not producing in the playoffs to being a consistent playoff producer and threat?

The critiques are perfectly valid for Nyquist in the playoffs. Doesn't mean he can't turn it around, though.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Gritty goals count for 1. The difference is they count in the playoffs. As you can see from his stats Nyquist hasn't learned how to score them. The playoff game is completely different than regular season. Nyquist needs to be willing to go to the net. In the playoffs I will take a bunch of Abbys over a timid dipsy doodler who is unable to work in tight space which perfectly describes Nyquist.

Wait so does this mean fancy goals don't count in the playoffs? or that gritty goals don't count in the regular season?

I'm confused, it seems I've been hockeying wrong all these years.

Just for reference here are their respective playoff stat lines

Abdelkader
59 GP - 5G - 7A - 12 pts (-2)
Nyquist
30 GP - 3G - 4A - 7 pts (+1)

I wouldn't exactly hold Abdelkader up as the type of player you want to be in the playoffs, especially when the player you're saying should be more like him is outproducing him.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Wait so does this mean fancy goals don't count in the playoffs? or that gritty goals don't count in the regular season?

I'm confused, it seems I've been hockeying wrong all these years.

Just for reference here are their respective playoff stat lines

Abdelkader
59 GP - 5G - 7A - 12 pts (-2)
Nyquist
30 GP - 3G - 4A - 7 pts (+1)

I wouldn't exactly hold Abdelkader up as the type of player you want to be in the playoffs, especially when the player you're saying should be more like him is outproducing him.

Abdelkader turned the series in the Wings favor the game he came back. Stats aside, I would certainly take a bunch of Abdelkaders over Nyquists for this factor alone.

And now with stats, they have very similar stats while Abdelkader bring something that Nyquist doesn't (energy and grit). Nyquist having 7 pts in 30 games(!) is laughable to me, I was very disappointed by his play these playoffs, if he doesn't bring production, what does he do?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Abdelkader turned the series in the Wings favor the game he came back. Stats aside, I would certainly take a bunch of Abdelkaders over Nyquists for this factor alone.

And now with stats, they have very similar stats while Abdelkader bring something that Nyquist doesn't (energy and grit). Nyquist having 7 pts in 30 games(!) is laughable to me, I was very disappointed by his play these playoffs, if he doesn't bring production, what does he do?

Abdelkader has singlehandedly torpedoed multiple playoff runs by taking bone headed penalties, especially during overtime.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

Abdelkader didn't turn anything around. The series was already 1-1 when he came back. He wasn't the cause of us losing but that's about the best you can say for him in that series.

If you'd rather a team full of Abdelkaders rather than Nyquists enjoy the 1st overall draft picks year after year.

I suppose you wanted Datsyuk traded when he struggled through his first couple playoffs, Zetterberg too.

Realgud

Nov 4, 2013
Abdelkader didn't turn anything around. The series was already 1-1 when he came back. He wasn't the cause of us losing but that's about the best you can say for him in that series.

If you'd rather a team full of Abdelkaders rather than Nyquists enjoy the 1st overall draft picks year after year.

I suppose you wanted Datsyuk traded when he struggled through his first couple playoffs, Zetterberg too.

I didn't followed the whole discussion sorry about that but what I mean is that NOW Nyquist has been underwhelming but I never talked about the fact that he can turn it around or not but is likely that he learns and does and am actually optimist for it.

But at the moment, Abdelkader had much more impact in the playoffs than Nyquist and I mean especially the last one (don't care too much about earlier, because that's pretty irrelevant).

I don't even want to participate in that "full team" discussion, it's pretty pointless as you need many roles in a team and Abdelkader accomplishes his really well while Nyquist fail to play up to his role (in the playoffs).

Last edited:

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I didn't followed the whole discussion sorry about that but what I mean is that NOW Nyquist has been underwhelming but I never talked about the fact that he can turn it around or not but is likely that he learns and does and am actually optimist for it.

But at the moment, Abdelkader had much more impact in the playoffs than Nyquist and I mean especially the last one (don't care too much about earlier, because that's pretty irrelevant).

I don't even want to participate in that "full team" discussion, it's pretty pointless as you need many roles in a team and Abdelkader accomplishes his really well while Nyquist fail to play up to his role (in the playoffs).

Abdelkader did some good things, but much more impact is a bit of an overstatement. He had 2 assists, and was worse than invisible the last two games. But, looking back at the footage, the Glendenning line was a trainwreck.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Obviously Abdelkader like any important guy affects the total team depth. When he came back, we instantly looked like a different team.

Realgud

Nov 4, 2013
Obviously Abdelkader like any important guy affects the total team depth. When he came back, we instantly looked like a different team.

Well that's what I am thinking too but apparently guys like Flashy and Shaman have a different opinion on it and that's fine. We might be overrating abby's impact but to me, like you said, his impact was real!

Nyquist on the other hand seemed very invisible and I really hope he can learn "playoff" hockey. I think he showed he can perform under pressure when Z and Dats were injured 2 years ago and scored an insane amount of goals, I'm confident he will translate this into playoff success!

Like Flashy said, he's not the first guy to struggle in his first few playoff games.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Well that's what I am thinking too but apparently guys like Flashy and Shaman have a different opinion on it and that's fine. We might be overrating abby's impact but to me, like you said, his impact was real!

Nyquist on the other hand seemed very invisible and I really hope he can learn "playoff" hockey. I think he showed he can perform under pressure when Z and Dats were injured 2 years ago and scored an insane amount of goals, I'm confident he will translate this into playoff success!

Like Flashy said, he's not the first guy to struggle in his first few playoff games.

I thought he (and Tatar) got better as the series went on. They weren't necessarily rewarded on the score sheet, but I thought they were taking the body more consistently, and going to the harder areas of the ice. They weren't shying away from the play.

I also think Abdelkader had a noticeably positive impact when he came back. His physical play and ability to go in against Tampa's bigger D was big for us. But it's also something we shouldn't be expecting so much out of Nyquist who is, what, three inches and thirty pounds smaller? Nyquist definitely needs to be more productive in the playoffs, but he's not going to go out there and consistently rail guys like Sustr and Coburn.

The kids that disappointed me the most were Sheahan and Jurco. They are some big boys, and they needed to put those big frames to more use.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad