Speculation: Nylander XXIII - The Today Will Be a **** Show One Way or Another Edition (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
I cannot honestly believe it has come down to the wire? I thought this would get done long ago....at this point I highly doubt he plays for the Leafs again....I am assuming a trade in the next few hours or so!

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
An offer sheet is a signed contract. That can be done up until Dec 1st 5 pm, and Nylander can play in the NHL.

Toronto then has 7 days to decide whether that contract applies to them or to the offer sheeting team, and Nylander would be able to play for whichever team that was.

That said, any belief that there is an offer sheet coming is laughable at this point.

Reactions: MinJaBen and Mork

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Thanks. I couldn't find it either and am asking the Bruins board resident capologists but it seems like a sneaky little loophole because the Leafs contract would be after the deadline.

Common sense would indicate that the Leafs would have the 7 days to match but the fact remains that if/when they did it would be a contract signed after the December 1st deadline.

What a crazy loophole that would be to get a player to get to pick his team; 'I've signed with this team and they can have me play this year. Accept their trade, accept their compensation or match but you'll be paying me for this year and I won't be playing.'

That would be a really weird loophole. However in this circumstance, there doesn't seem to be any information to believe that Nylander wants a trade, just a number. I'm not sure Nylander would be so concerned that Leafs might match a contract so there would be no reason to try and game the deadline like that.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Why can't Nylander and a team have a deal in place to sign the offersheet one hour before to force them to match right away before 5:00pm or take the compensation?

An offer sheet is a signed contract. That can be done up until Dec 1st 5 pm, and Nylander can play in the NHL.

Toronto then has 7 days to decide whether that contract applies to them or to the offer sheeting team, and Nylander would be able to play for whichever team that was.

That said, any belief that there is an offer sheet coming is laughable at this point.

^Believe this would be the answer. An offer sheet is a signed contract. Where the player ends up playing is another story.

Man, I can't believe Dubas let it get to this point. I think he's a terrible GM.

Wow how much time it take for you to come up with that take?

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Can you give me another example of a GM in any sort of sport who made a comment like Dubas did, and was completely wrong? And how did the collective world react to that person? I would imagine that there weren’t a ton of people defending them in the way that Leafs fans and the media (basically Leafs propaganda central).

Like I say, if you really think there is some sort of anti-Leafs bias, on this forum or anywhere else, just imagine somebody like John Chayka royally ****ing something up in the way that Dubas has ****ed this up? There would be NO defense of him. No rationalizing of his pathetic failures. Everybody would be all over him.

Face it: rookie GM Dubas did a terrible job in this entire situation. The only reason that people are defending him here is because he is the golden boy, and the GM of the Leafs.
I could not care less what Dubas said months ago regards the kids contracts. I care more that he sticks to his guns on what he knows the team can afford. With or without Willy!

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
There's absolutely no way I'm going to let you to bait me into putting an ounce of actual work in fiddling around with your nonsensical spin.

Also, you're still speaking in past tense. That is literally a bias convincing you that the deadline already passed.

I wouldn't be commenting at all if this was Chayka because why the **** would I care? That Chayka thread would be dead because who the hell has an Anti-Coyotes bias? No one.

The translation of your first paragraph is that you made a pretty hefty assumption and can’t find any sort of proof. Otherwise you wouldn’t be responding at all.

There isn’t a bias convincing me that Nylander won’t sign; it’s really just common sense. It’s what all the signs are pointing to. It’s not a guarantee that Nylander won’t sign but it is a guarantee that Dubas f***ed up.

People would be talking about this no matter the team, because it is a very interesting situation. Nylander is a top-10 pick who scored over 60 points in each of his two seasons in the NHL, and might sit out an entire season. He could quite possibly be the best player not in the NHL, and he may sit out a season due to a contract dispute. Dubas’ comments would be scrutinized as they are, even if the situation had nothing to do with Toronto. The big difference is that the entire hockey mediaand the HF collective is defending Dubas for his colossal failure.

Last edited by a moderator:

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Lou right now:

lou2-e1536775387582.jpeg

Dubas right now:

john-tavares-toronto-maple-leafs.png

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
That would be a really weird loophole. However in this circumstance, there doesn't seem to be any information to believe that Nylander wants a trade, just a number. I'm not sure Nylander would be so concerned that Leafs might match a contract so there would be no reason to try and game the deadline like that.

Again, I agree with your background around this particular player but cannot find common sense evidence to support the rule.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
The translation of your first paragraph is that you made a pretty hefty assumption and can’t find any sort of proof. Otherwise you wouldn’t be responding at all.

There isn’t a bias convincing me that Nylander won’t sign; it’s really just common sense. It’s what all the signs are pointing to. It’s not a guarantee that Nylander won’t sign but it is a guarantee that dumbass Dubas ****ed up.

On your last paragraph, your victim mentality really shows. People would be talking about this no matter the team, because it is a very interesting situation. Nylander is a top-10 pick who scored over 60 points in each of his two seasons in the NHL, and might sit out an entire season. He could quite possibly be the best player not in the NHL, and he may sit out a season due to a contract dispute. Dumbass Dubas’ comments would be scrutinized as they are, even if the situation had nothing to do with Toronto. The big difference is that the entire hockey media (who is essentially to Toronto what Fox News is to Donald Trump) and the HF collective is defending dumbass Dubas for his colossal failure.

I know it's happened. Why would I spend a second finding proof for you -- you know it has happened too. Didn't really read the rest, you type a lot and say very little.

HabsInsider

Buy XRP.
Mar 2, 2013
But they matched so he gets paid right?

I could be wrong, but I presume that the League has a rule which would prevent an offer sheet from being valid 7 days before the Dec. 1 @ 5pm deadline.

If Nylander were to sign an offer sheet now, and the Leafs took until after the deadline to decide, at that point it seems he would become ineligible to even have that contract honored for the current year.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
^Believe this would be the answer. An offer sheet is a signed contract. Where the player ends up playing is another story.

Wow how much time it take for you to come up with that take?

I believe that should be the case but can't find that confirmation only that he needs to be with signed team before the deadline. There is rules against trading his rights and then them signing him after so when he signs with Carolina (pure 100% hypothetical here) he is now under contract before the deadline with the Hurricanes but not the Leafs. Their option to match and give him a contract with them is signed after the deadline.

Again, just have two different answers and common sense responses (and I thank you for them) but nothing in the rules to support this response.

I figured we've read and discussed everything else so this is something with bringing up as this entire situation is a first.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I could be wrong, but I presume that the League has a rule which would prevent an offer sheet from being valid 7 days before the Dec. 1 @ 5pm deadline.

If Nylander were to sign an offer sheet now, and the Leafs took until after the deadline to decide, at that point he would become ineligible to even have that contract honored for the current year.

But his contract with the original team (Hurricanes in this hypothetical) is indeed a legal contract signed before so he is eligible to play for them correct? I don't see a week before December 1st cutoff rule anywhere because you'd assume Leafs fans would have counted down past that moment last week right?

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Hearing Nylander won’t be moved tomorrow... not sure if a contract is going to get done. Long term deal is sounding very unlikely, likely will be a 1 year contract if anything. If they won’t pay him this summer, he’ll ask to be moved

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Dubas has done a great job given the circumstances. Takes 2 to sign a contract. Really happy he's holding is ground and not overpaying. They likely have a fallback bridge deal if neither side gives a good enough "best offer" at the deadline. Sitting a year isn't really an option. Nylander is likely sitting this long because Dubas played the nice guy card and ensured him that if he needs more time to be certain that signing a contract long term with the leafs is what he wants, he'll be made whole with signing bonus. Dubas has been singing that song since before negotiations began.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Also, for all of these people speaking about the comments by Dubas you probably haven't actually heard, he mentioned that we can and we will, but he also mentioned how it would be a slow process, and it wouldn't be as simple as everybody may hope it would be. Nobody seems to like remembering that part.

As for whether this makes him a bad GM, it's quite the opposite. A true leader and negotiator puts his team/group/company/etc above themselves, and doesn't concern themselves with public perception. They focus on their job, and what's best for it. They are willing to take on roadblocks and unprecedented situations, and adapt and stand firm on the best path.

All the Leaf haters are scared and saying that he should have signed him for whatever it took because of part of something he said half a year ago, because they know that's the wrong move, and they want to see the Leafs fail. They are terrified that this rookie GM has come in for the Leafs and made many of their own GMs look like weak, old-age fools in a very short amount of time. They are terrified that the Leafs have somebody whose only concern is what's best for the Leafs.

It feels great to be a Leaf fan right now, regardless of what happens with Nylander.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad