Speculation: Nylander VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Could the Leafs afford $12M/yr for Matthews, $8M/yr for Marner, and $7M/yr for Nylander? If so, I think they should get them together and sign them simultaneously (each 5 year deals)

I'm guessing that Nylander wants leverage and would prefer a shorter term contract that takes him to free agency. This assumes that he can't get the long term contract for the money he is looking for.

We could have the same situation with Matthews and Marner I fear.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
It's completely understandable.

This off-season was saturated in good faith and these ongoing negotiations are just so antithetical to the spirit of optimism that's about this club.

I'm hoping for two things: A sooner rather than later resolve. And lessons drawn from this negotiation to avoid the same (apparent) communication pitfalls (with the other two) that certainly feel...needless?
Yeah, obviously he could sign in the next few weeks and we forget all about this... but I’m concerned this may sour relations and lay the groundwork for his ticket out of town.

They spoke of Johnny Gaudreau having the same agent and eventually having to concede. If Nylander isn’t willing to do the same, trade him for someone who fits within the cap.

I like Nylander a lot, but I don’t like him at 8 million, and he’s a wasting asset right now.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
I keep seeing this statement and absolutely nothing to back it up.

The leafs could spend a combined $3o million on Matthews/Marner/Nylander and they still won't face any issues outside of 19-20.
:huh:

2020-21: $16M left (+ 2 raises of the cap) with 9 players signed with Brown, Dermott as RFA, Holl as UFA, minus any money given to Leivo, Kapanen, Johnnson, Rosén, Borgmann as RFA the previous year. Also RFA but not on the roster presently: Grundström, Bracco and a few others.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
:huh:

2020-21: $16M left (+ 2 raises of the cap) with 9 players signed with Brown, Dermott as RFA, Holl as UFA, minus any money given to Leivo, Kapanen, Johnnson, Rosén, Borgmann as RFA the previous year. Also RFA but not on the roster presently: Grundström, Bracco and a few others.

JT + Naz + Hyman + Big Three($30 million high end estimate) + Rielly + Zaitsev + Andersen = $62.25 million

The cap is going up about $3 million per year even without using the full escalator, so a reasonable estimate would be a cap somewhere around $85-86 million in 20-21. Leaving about $23-24 million to spend on RFAs and fill ins.

Unless Kapanen turns into a 1st line winger or Dermott turns into a top pairing stud, the leafs will not be in any sort of cap trouble.

By the way, all this is under the assumption that Matthews get $12.5, Marner gets $10 and Nylander gets $8. Which isn't happening no matter how hard people may root for it to happen.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
nope nope nope

A) he has already lost his spot besides matty for this season

B) we do not do anything to top up what he lost, there are consequences for holding out, he pays

C) at 8 years he gets 6.25 , still more then Ehlers and he sells the same amount of UFAs
Sweet dreams !

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Could the Leafs afford $12M/yr for Matthews, $8M/yr for Marner, and $7M/yr for Nylander? If so, I think they should get them together and sign them simultaneously (each 5 year deals)

Why would you ever offer Matthews or Marner 5 year deals? You want to buy their UFA years. Matthews, if he kept his production would get even more in 5 years, and if for some reason hes unhappy he would just leave.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Random disclaimer : why has no one ever brought up Saad in contract negotiations? 3 years at around 50 point production netted him 6x6

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Why would you ever offer Matthews or Marner 5 year deals? You want to buy their UFA years. Matthews, if he kept his production would get even more in 5 years, and if for some reason hes unhappy he would just leave.

To keep the caphit lower. Otherwise with the breakout year he’s going to ask for $13M/yr and Marner maybe more than $8M/yr.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
To keep the caphit lower. Otherwise with the breakout year he’s going to ask for $13M/yr and Marner maybe more than $8M/yr.

13x8 is a better contract than 12x5 imo.

With the cap going up, Matthews as a UFA (thats what 5 years takes him to) could ask for 15+ at that time. Same with Marner, you would be in cap hell if you gave those contracts at that time.

5 years is a long time. 5 years ago, the highest cap hit in the league was 9m.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
13x8 is a better contract than 12x5 imo.

With the cap going up, Matthews as a UFA (thats what 5 years takes him to) could ask for 15+ at that time. Same with Marner, you would be in cap hell if you gave those contracts at that time.

5 years is a long time. 5 years ago, the highest cap hit in the league was 9m.

I argue the Leafs window is when the contract are cheap which to me is this season and within 5 years. Ducks won with cheap Getzlaf, Perry. Hawks with a cheaper Kane, Toews (both 5 years), and support cast. Kings with cheap Kopitar, Quick.

CujosMask

Nov 24, 2017
He could still make good money in the KHL, right? Meanwhile, Leafs lose an asset for nothing . . .

If they don't want to pay him what he thinks he's worth, they should just to trade him to a team that will.

Why would the Leafs do another team a favour and gift them a good player?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Get a GM to offer sheet him We still have the option to match, work out a trade or acceurept compensation. It might hurt the signing team with their own RFAs. The Leafs have all the leverage.
Once an offer sheet is signed, you can't work out a deal.[/QUOTE]
Sure you can, but only with the team with whom he signed the offer sheet. You have a 7 day window.

Reactions: hullsy47

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
He could still make good money in the KHL, right? Meanwhile, Leafs lose an asset for nothing . . .

If they don't want to pay him what he thinks he's worth, they should just to trade him to a team that will.

I used to see the logic in this until I saw how Yzerman dealt with Drouin.

The leafs shouldn't even consider a trade until they can get Nylander's trade value equivalent to his actual worth as a player.

At this point, I'd want the leafs be ok with the stalemate lasting in perpetuity rather than lose a trade and lose face.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Why would the Leafs do another team a favour and gift them a good player?
tenor.gif

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Once an offer sheet is signed, you can't work out a deal.
Sure you can, but only with the team with whom he signed the offer sheet. You have a 7 day window.[/QUOTE]
no other gm has him rated higher than larkin ,,kid got bad advice period
the grass aint always greener lol

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
As I've said multiple times, just because a team doesn't want to trade a good player before they have reached their peak potential for anything less than what their potential could be, especially when they don't have to, 2 years into their career, it doesn't mean you pay way more than comparables based on their production to date when their contract is due.

He's not worth "peanuts". It's not unreasonable for Leaf fans to want him on a contract that isn't millions more than all of his comparables.

Last I checked, Russian superstars don't even make 5 mil, and the pay scale drops off incredibly fast. I don't see how he could even make that much.

That said, again I ask, how is 5 mil to play in Russia better than 6.5 mil to play in Toronto? What does Nylander gain from that?

For starters...13% income rate VS 53%+. Nylander seems like a guy who wants to take money back to Sweden.

Btw, It,s not unreasonable to wish a comparable contract, but in my opinion, it's not unreasonable to give him 7M aav.

I'm guessing that Nylander wants leverage and would prefer a shorter term contract that takes him to free agency. This assumes that he can't get the long term contract for the money he is looking for.

We could have the same situation with Matthews and Marner I fear.

Ding ding ding ding ding !

If Matthews and Marner were still 2-3 years into ELC or have already been signed, all this Nylander talk would not exist.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
generational talent was padding melanders assist totals

Oh wait, nowHFBoards suddenly thinks that Matthews is generational?

Didn’t Hall ply with RNH and Eberle? I know they aren’t all stars but they aren’t bad either

Also, as a 1st OV shouldn’t Hall carry the line instead of relying on his linemates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad