Confirmed with Link: Nylander signs extension of 8 years - 11.5M AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
These 3 may go down as some of the most unlikeable Leafs. They have no shame/humility when it comes to asking for every penny after leading this team to virtually zero playoff success.

That is what they have Leafs management thinking and why Leafs management keeps running them back. So far 1-7 in playoffs. There are who we think they are IMO. For me, hope for the best, expect the worst. No longer losing any sleep when these guys lose early in the playoffs and head off to their cottages to enjoy their money.
That's just a small group here, it doesn't really represent the fan base where they are insanely popular.

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
He's not a secondary player at all. And why wouldn't his playoff performances impact his contract? That's silly. He scored as much as Gretzky and helped lead them to 2 Cups.
again.
Point signed a bridge contract that probably the team and Point felt taking the gable on where his career was going after putting up a single great season of 92 points and a single point in 4 playoff games to a deal of 6.5m .
For the 3 years on his bridge deal he put up a 74 point season pace or .9 a game . Not bad , but also not elite numbers at all . His playoff points were much better at a point a game and just over half goal a game . The goal totals were great , points ok and the fact he did elevate his game probably did ply into the 3rd contract where he signed for 9.5m for 8 yrs . His 2 playoffs after that are pretty medioccur .
Marners stats aside from goals were always much better .
Also , until this year , like i said , Point's career has been more similar to Nyander than Marner in every way.

Anyways , this is a Nylander thread and we should probably stop highjacking it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
That's just a small group here, it doesn't really represent the fan base where they are insanely popular.

I’ve come to believe that passion does not always line up with greatness and achievement when it comes to how much a fanbase passionately loves a player.

What I mean is a lot of the greats in the game are consistently great. Year after year. Decade after decade. Their excellence is kind of boring. I’ll use some examples like Lidstrom, Brodeur, Crosby, Bergeron. They win all the awards, win multiple cups. There’s not that much drama.

Then you compare the Clark Gilmour phenomenon and that team was briefly great. Punched above its weight. Won nothing but we love them, torrid love affair you remember decades later.

I think Matthews, Tavares, Nylander and Marner fall into that former category of always being consistently high level. But without the spice of the playoffs you end up taking them for granted. Some people will dislike some of them. Or all of them.

Oct 18, 2010
again.
Point signed a bridge contract that probably the team and Point felt taking the gable on where his career was going after putting up a single great season of 92 points and a single point in 4 playoff games to a deal of 6.5m .
For the 3 years on his bridge deal he put up a 74 point season pace or .9 a game . Not bad , but also not elite numbers at all . His playoff points were much better at a point a game and just over half goal a game . The goal totals were great , points ok and the fact he did elevate his game probably did ply into the 3rd contract where he signed for 9.5m for 8 yrs . His 2 playoffs after that are pretty medioccur .
Marners stats aside from goals were always much better .
Also , until this year , like i said , Point's career has been more similar to Nyander than Marner in every way.

Anyways , this is a Nylander thread and we should probably stop highjacking it.

He took a bridge deal because of the salary cap issues Tampa Bay had. Not any of these BS reasons you're making up to justify the Leafs decisions. Some players are loyal and want to win.

Also nobody is hijacking the thread except you, trying to discount Point as a player to prop up the losers.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
He took a bridge deal because of the salary cap issues Tampa Bay had. Not any of these BS reasons you're making up to justify the Leafs decisions. Some players are loyal and want to win.

Also nobody is hijacking the thread except you, trying to discount Point as a player to prop up the losers.
Here’s an idea if you feel that strongly against the team beat it or give the site a break and focus on your life that’s going soo much better you have to bash the team every hour of the day

Oct 18, 2010
Here’s an idea if you feel that strongly against the team beat it or give the site a break and focus on your life that’s going soo much better you have to bash the team every hour of the day

Nice lecture. Anyways I'm going to ignore you, no need to waste time reading a cheerleader.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
So far, they have shown us they can score in the regular season, and put up some points in the playoffs, but cannot carry the team on a long playoff run.
Regular season - I'm a big fan, getting points in the playoffs - not bad, getting the team deep into the playoffs - no way.
To be perfectly honest, I'm torn on this. I think it's because I have so much invested in this team. I , like most if not all the other fans, desperately want this team to win the Cup, or at least go on a long playoff run. When they don't, which up until now has been never, who gets most of the blame? It's the ones being paid the most. Always has been, always will. Wendel Clark and Doug Gilmour are two of my favourite all-time Leafs. They never won a Cup, but they always left it all on the ice. They were true warriors, who were willing to do whatever it would take to win. To me, there is no doubt that they were Leafs first, individuals second. I don't see that in this core, especially when I think back to what Shanahan said before they signed their last contracts, about how they should be willing to leave some on the table to better help the team out (and this coming from a former Stanley Cup champion, no less)!
But you are right, every fan certainly has the right to view their players whatever way they want. However, I will not be one who thinks highly of them, unless of course they bring home a Cup or two!

Last edited:

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Nylander being higher paid than Pasternak or Tkachuk speaks volumes to this contract. Great for player, not so much for the team.

Leafs players continue to not sign team friendly contracts. This will hurt their team depth long term and set the precedent again when Marner's contract is up.

Could be worse, could be paying 18 mil for 2 second liners who are barely PPG.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Indeed. Some people praise them like they're some sort of heroes, so many posts about statues built for them and how they'll have these all-time Leaf records and how if you dare say a bad word about them, you don't understand what you're seeing, can't appreciate the greatness, would you rather go back to the days where we were missing the playoffs yada yada yada.

They can have all the all-time records that exist but if they keep turning into cupcakes in the playoffs, they will always be unlikeable to me.

Meh I think 20/30 years From now people will look back and appreciate these guys. I think the lack of developing or acquiring a promising goaltender will be what people have the most distain for when we look back at this era.

Winning in this league is hard. It’s even harder if you don’t have a quality goaltender

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
These 3 may go down as some of the most unlikeable Leafs. They have no shame/humility when it comes to asking for every penny after leading this team to virtually zero playoff success.

That is what they have Leafs management thinking and why Leafs management keeps running them back. So far 1-7 in playoffs. There are who we think they are IMO. For me, hope for the best, expect the worst. No longer losing any sleep when these guys lose early in the playoffs and head off to their cottages to enjoy their money.
I have this same attitude. I am vested in the regular season, I watch until we play our last game, unless we are ann especially bad bottom 10 team and have no stars chasing some record. When the playoffs start I watch until we are eliminated than I too am off to cottage country on the weekends and probably out and about during the week in the nice weather. I guess I have become a Leaf fan and no longer a hockey fan. The playoffs mean nothing to me if we aren’t in it. In the last 20 years many times I haven’t even watched a game in the Cup finals.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
For what it’s also worth, I think this might be the year they have a deep run. I look back at some of the teams that have made it and they seem to have lots of ups and downs throughout the year and use that as motivation. The leafs have had a very tumultuous year so far. I can 100% see them figuring it out and having a 3 round playoffs. I don’t know if they are good enough to win the whole thing but I think this team can make a conference final. I still think the last piece is to replace Keefe.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Meh I think 20/30 years From now people will look back and appreciate these guys. I think the lack of developing or acquiring a promising goaltender will be what people have the most distain for when we look back at this era.

Winning in this league is hard. It’s even harder if you don’t have a quality goaltender
I think that depends on what’s going to happen in the next few years. If they continue the trend of one playoffs win in another 7 seasons. They will be known as chokers, all talents and no hearts.
Bc nomatter how bad the goaltending is, you can’t be as talented as they are and end up with 2 playoffs series win in 14 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: francis246

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Nylander being higher paid than Pasternak or Tkachuk speaks volumes to this contract. Great for player, not so much for the team.

Leafs players continue to not sign team friendly contracts. This will hurt their team depth long term and set the precedent again when Marner's contract is up.
There a lot of awful opinions over there, it is by far the worst forum I have posted on HF boards. I mean this sincerely, you guys know your hockey far more, the exchanges here are intelligent, and you well us guys now are more cool. Like I said, it is a pleasure. Especially on Tavares losing make my night.
Why would you want 'awful opinions' from the 'worst forum'?

Here's a tip Tkachuk was RFA he had to tell the team he wanted to leave. Tavares was more like Gaudreau.
Get a clue.

Islanders deserve you, you all seem like a bunch of bunny boilers still crying 6 years later.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
For what it’s also worth, I think this might be the year they have a deep run. I look back at some of the teams that have made it and they seem to have lots of ups and downs throughout the year and use that as motivation. The leafs have had a very tumultuous year so far. I can 100% see them figuring it out and having a 3 round playoffs. I don’t know if they are good enough to win the whole thing but I think this team can make a conference final. I still think the last piece is to replace Keefe.
I have that feeling too. It seems like they are just getting by in the regular season. In a way, they are giving me the Caps vibe when they won where most didn’t give them any credits and thought they missed their chance the year before.

Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I think that depends on what’s going to happen in the next few years. If they continue the trend of one playoffs win in another 7 seasons. They will be known as chokers, all talents and no hearts.
Bc nomatter how bad the goaltending is, you can be as talented as they are and end up with 2 playoffs series win in 14 years.

Look at who’ve they’ve faced? I think the ONLY series that’s inexuable was the Montreal series. Toronto had no business losing that series. The other excusable series was the Florida one.

People can point to Columbus but honestly that Toronto team was bad. If we look at it objectively that team barely squeezed into the play-in.

Outside of The Florida and Montreal series which were horrendous losses.

They’ve lost to an eventual cup winner and two teams that made the Stanley cup finals. Those are hard series to win and they took them to 7 each time. I def wish they could have won at least one of those. Hell even the odds say we should have gotten one. But no question they are in the hardest playoff division. Maybe second to the central. It’s the cards you’re dealt sometimes. Just shitty luck and poor execution. Bad combo

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Tkachuk and Pastrnak are also not comparable players and were not comparable players when they signed their deals. Pastrnak was in the midst of a Nylander style points explosion in a contract year, more heavy on the goal scoring side and has playoff cache from earlier in his career.

Tkachuk had his first 100 point season in Calgary but was a playoff abject failure up until that point and was making moves to get out of Calgary.

Nylander’s dollar value doesn’t speak volumes other than the cap went up $4 million since the Pastrnak deal was signed.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Look at who’ve they’ve faced? I think the ONLY series that’s inexuable was the Montreal series. Toronto had no business losing that series. The other excusable series was the Florida one.

People can point to Columbus but honestly that Toronto team was bad. If we look at it objectively that team barely squeezed into the play-in.

Outside of The Florida and Montreal series which were horrendous losses.

They’ve lost to an eventual cup winner and two teams that made the Stanley cup finals. Those are hard series to win and they took them to 7 each time. I def wish they could have won at least one of those. Hell even the odds say we should have gotten one. But no question they are in the hardest playoff division. Maybe second to the central. It’s the cards you’re dealt sometimes. Just shitty luck and poor execution. Bad combo
Personally, I would discount their first two series as they should not made it their first year and the first Bruins series should count as their first playoffs.

Anyhow, I did said if they managed ONE more series win in the next 7 years. That would make them 2 playoffs series win in 14 yrs. Thats pathetic and they will brand as chokers.

When you look at the teams that got eliminated in the first round along with the Leafs. Can the Leafs really beat those teams in that year in a 7 games series? I can’t say 100% and that’s just show the Leafs just weren’t as good as we thought.
I do see this current team are more built for playoffs than any other teams except for last playoffs though.
At the end, the mentality of players need to change, they need to play like a pack and back each other up and Keefe needs to stop over think whenever the team is in trouble.

Reactions: studebaker17

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019

The one thing all leaf fans can agree is we don’t want winter solider here!

Mar 26, 2010
Tkachuk and Pastrnak are also not comparable players and were not comparable players when they signed their deals. Pastrnak was in the midst of a Nylander style points explosion in a contract year, more heavy on the goal scoring side and has playoff cache from earlier in his career.

Tkachuk had his first 100 point season in Calgary but was a playoff abject failure up until that point and was making moves to get out of Calgary.

Nylander’s dollar value doesn’t speak volumes other than the cap went up $4 million since the Pastrnak deal was signed.
I know there are concerns that Willy may take his foot off the gas pedal now that he has the gigantic contract in his back pocket. He looked to be less engaged in the loss against the NYI. Hopefully this will not be the trend moving forward.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

It's all relative. Not sure how much they'll be appreciated if the next 7 years don't result in more playoff success than the last 7.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Wow, I did not realize that paying each of them around $1 million less would be considered a massive underpayment!
If we paid them a million less, you'd just want a million less than that. And then a million less than that. Once you enter the realm of not being satisfied with a good, fair deal that they earned and outperform, there's is no satisfying. You'll always want more.
Hard to argue about Bertuzzi, but at least he's working his butt off and is effective.
Hated the Klingberg and Reaves signing from the start! At least, thankfully for Tre, Klingberg going on LTIR did free up some much needed capspace.
After what Samsonov did last year, they had to do what they did. That was the right choice at the time.
Bertuzzi is not working his butt off, or effective. He's simply a way less efficient use of cap space, and if you're concerned about cap space, he is exactly the type of mid-tier waste you should be targeting. You're also missing the point. You don't need a ton of money to have good depth, and spending more money on depth does not automatically equal better depth. We spent a bunch of money on depth and it's a bunch of disappointing, less cap efficient players, while some of the best parts of our depth are our least expensive depth pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad