Confirmed with Link: Nylander signs extension of 8 years - 11.5M AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
If we paid them a million less, you'd just want a million less than that. And then a million less than that. Once you enter the realm of not being satisfied with a good, fair deal that they earned and outperform, there's is no satisfying. You'll always want more.

Bertuzzi is not working his butt off, or effective. He's simply a way less efficient use of cap space, and if you're concerned about cap space, he is exactly the type of mid-tier waste you should be targeting. You're also missing the point. You don't need a ton of money to have good depth, and spending more money on depth does not automatically equal better depth. We spent a bunch of money on depth and it's a bunch of disappointing, less cap efficient players, while some of the best parts of our depth are our least expensive depth pieces.
Dekes, you would argue black is white. I specifically said around $1 million less for each of them, quit twisting my words.

We will have to continue to disagree about Bertuzzi. No, he is definitely not earning the contract he signed, but he is providing something good on offense by being a net front presence, very good on the cycle, not afraid to use his body, and is a decent passer. I'm not sure what games you're watching.

And we will see if Tre pisses away draft picks on rentals the way your guy Dubas did.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Nice lecture. Anyways I'm going to ignore you, no need to waste time reading a cheerleader.
Only thing tough about you is your name tie domi so I don’t think your in any space to call anybody a cheerleader but be a tough guy behind the screen bud good day to yah

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I know there are concerns that Willy may take his foot off the gas pedal now that he has the gigantic contract in his back pocket. He looked to be less engaged in the loss against the NYI. Hopefully this will not be the trend moving forward.

Completely random thought, but I find there's something existentially dreadful about a Leaf road game on Long Island in the middle of winter. Don't know if it's the John Tavares blood feud or the idea of just going out to Nassau County in bad January weather but man, the way Willie played last night is how I felt about the game and I'm just watching in the comfort of my own home. Just one of those weird vibes. Just windy parking lots and misery.

Anyway, yeah Willie better not play like that or take his foot off the gas. He's got a very unique opportunity to make a huge name for himself in the history of the game and it would be a waste to turn into a big contract disappearing act.

Reactions: 34

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Dekes, you would argue black is white. I specifically said around $1 million less for each of them, quit twisting my words.

We will have to continue to disagree about Bertuzzi. No, he is definitely not earning the contract he signed, but he is providing something good on offense by being a net front presence, very good on the cycle, not afraid to use his body, and is a decent passer. I'm not sure what games you're watching.

And we will see if Tre pisses away draft picks on rentals the way your guy Dubas did.

Bertuzzi and his contract can be judged however one wants, used as a proxy in a thinly veiled GM war, and his offense has not really come through but yeah I agree nobody can criticize his effort level. He’s a junk yard dog on loose pucks, throws his body at everything and is all hustle out there on the forecheck. I think his effort level is something anyone who is watching will respect and buys him some good will while he figures out the raw numbers. Anyone who says Bert isn’t trying is not watching.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Completely random thought, but I find there's something existentially dreadful about a Leaf road game on Long Island in the middle of winter. Don't know if it's the John Tavares blood feud or the idea of just going out to Nassau County in bad January weather but man, the way Willie played last night is how I felt about the game and I'm just watching in the comfort of my own home. Just one of those weird vibes. Just windy parking lots and misery.

Anyway, yeah Willie better not play like that or take his foot off the gas. He's got a very unique opportunity to make a huge name for himself in the history of the game and it would be a waste to turn into a big contract disappearing act.
He didn’t take his foot off the gas plays we’re not capitolized on the only mistake was the long shift that lead to a goal against he wasn’t spectacular but he coulda easily had another three point night without him on that line it’s a checcin line I think we need to adjust our viewpoints a bit

Mar 26, 2010

Totally, there has always been something about playing the NYI. I hate it lol.

Willy better not pull a Houdini act now that he has his contract. That would be really disappointing. He would then just be proving all the Leaf haters on the main board that his contract is a joke. I guess we will see.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
For what it’s also worth, I think this might be the year they have a deep run. I look back at some of the teams that have made it and they seem to have lots of ups and downs throughout the year and use that as motivation. The leafs have had a very tumultuous year so far. I can 100% see them figuring it out and having a 3 round playoffs. I don’t know if they are good enough to win the whole thing but I think this team can make a conference final. I still think the last piece is to replace Keefe.

Replacing Keefe would be the 3rd option after having a great goaltending performance and acquiring another elite defenseman. Atleast 1 but preferably 2 of these things must happen for us to win the Cup, and if Woll or Jones can atleast be consistently average to slightly above we could have a real chance. Nylander reaching another level and Matthews staying healthy again will hopefully make up for our drop in defensive play as I find it very doubtful we get back to that level by then.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Bertuzzi and his contract can be judged however one wants, used as a proxy in a thinly veiled GM war, and his offense has not really come through but yeah I agree nobody can criticize his effort level. He’s a junk yard dog on loose pucks, throws his body at everything and is all hustle out there on the forecheck. I think his effort level is something anyone who is watching will respect and buys him some good will while he figures out the raw numbers. Anyone who says Bert isn’t trying is not watching.
Also, don’t underestimate the space he gives Nylander on the ice as well. If they didn’t have that plug Tavares holding them back, it would be even better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad