News Article: Nylander on if he is proud of anything he accomplished this season: “I’ll be proud when we f****** win.”

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Funny….Kessel played his game and the penguins won two cups…he could of been voted playoffs mvp each year too. Did Pitt fans complain he didn’t finish checks ?

Players have their roles. You don’t have to be a playoff grinder to succeed.

How about we worry more about getting more scoring from our defencemen. You know seeing how we lose those 1 goal games in playoffs.

And I didn’t mean finishing checks is goon hockey but it’s obvious the rules change in playoffs that benefit the goons in hockey and the NHL and most fans rather glorify goons in playoffs the our elite players. Don Cherry has brainwashed a lot of viewers.

Expect more interference…holding crosschecks….spears…etc and the refs will turn a blind eye as usual.

But somehow that is acceptable in the NHL playoffs but NFL players in the trenches Or NBA players playing under the boards can’t fight without suspension and it’s gets damn physical there too with a lot of trash talk.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Great article from him and on his season, his mentality and growth as a player in finding consistency.

giphy.gif

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Never been huge Nylander fan but after that comment how can you not like him ! Hopefully Leafs play up to their ability as they are a much better team than their playoff record suggest last few years.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Well, they haven’t played a more significant game. Quit defending bad behaviour.
As I've said elsewhere, I'm not defending it.

I'm just surprised that play is all you remember.

Then again, there are people (not you, and not necessarily here) who are still whining about a missed call from 30 years ago.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Funny….Kessel played his game and the penguins won two cups…he could of been voted playoffs mvp each year too. Did Pitt fans complain he didn’t finish checks ?

Players have their roles. You don’t have to be a playoff grinder to succeed.

How about we worry more about getting more scoring from our defencemen. You know seeing how we lose those 1 goal games in playoffs.

And I didn’t mean finishing checks is goon hockey but it’s obvious the rules change in playoffs that benefit the goons in hockey and the NHL and most fans rather glorify goons in playoffs the our elite players. Don Cherry has brainwashed a lot of viewers.

Expect more interference…holding crosschecks….spears…etc and the refs will turn a blind eye as usual.

But somehow that is acceptable in the NHL playoffs but NFL players in the trenches Or NBA players playing under the boards can’t fight without suspension and it’s gets damn physical there too with a lot of trash talk.

The refs will certainly turn a blind eye, unless it's a Toronto player doing it :laugh:

Reactions: Da Mash

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Talk is cheap. Let's see if Nylander leaves his parachute at home this year.

He's so strong on the puck that he could be a real difference maker if he wants to be.
These types of comments around parachutes or not finishing checks as if Nylander is afraid are very odd. I'm not sure what people watched the last couple of years, but Nylander drives straight to the net with his body more than I have ever seen Marner or even Matthews do. Just look at these highlights from game 5 last year, he was an absolute beast taking the puck to the net throughout the game. The sequence at 5:28 where it's basically 1v3 and he sacrifices himself to go to the net and almost scores on a pretty fearless play.

The guy is a big game player, he's gonna show up as he has for multiple years now.

On a side note, I didn't realize how the Leafs made Nick Paul look so good throughout the series. Even in that game he doesn't score but gets multiple open break chances, with Rielly being on the wrong end.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
These types of comments around parachutes or not finishing checks as if Nylander is afraid are very odd. I'm not sure what people watched the last couple of years, but Nylander drives straight to the net with his body more than I have ever seen Marner or even Matthews do. Just look at these highlights from game 5 last year, he was an absolute beast taking the puck to the net throughout the game. The sequence at 5:28 where it's basically 1v3 and he sacrifices himself to go to the net and almost scores on a pretty fearless play.

The guy is a big game player, he's gonna show up as he has for multiple years now.

On a side note, I didn't realize how the Leafs made Nick Paul look so good throughout the series. Even in that game he doesn't score but gets multiple open break chances, with Rielly being on the wrong end.

Driving to the net and pulling the chute are two different things. He does excel at both.

Reactions: Nineteen67

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Comes from the Don Cherry types who just have their minds made up about players already

Reactions: Anthrax442

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Just look at these highlights from game 5 last year, he was an absolute beast taking the puck to the net throughout the game.

No doubt, but note the highlights came from game 5, the last game they won that series.

Willie and the rest of the team need to be absolute beasts for a full 7-game series, not just until they get their opponent on the ropes.

Reactions: ToneDog

Honest M

May 11, 2012
He does however win board battles, strips the puck and scores a lot driving the net.

Not showing emotion is just who he is. Just need him to go out and outscore his opposition.

I would like to see him have a shift or two like he did in the worlds though
1681647280726.png

Reactions: Jojalu

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Nylander has just completed his best season ever and those highlights show what everyone with a pair of eyes that actually work already knows - he uses his body very effectively to help us win games.

Like you said, big game player. Over the last 3 playoffs he's produced at a PPG rate yet Marner, who has a much higher cap hit and has been less productive in the playoffs, gets praised for being "the best winger in the world" and Nylander gets grief. Maybe it's anti-Swede bias or some people just don't care about playoff success, who the hell knows. All I know is I'm thrilled with Nylander and the whiners can go piss up a rope.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Nylander has just completed his best season ever and those highlights show what everyone with a pair of eyes that actually work already knows - he uses his body very effectively to help us win games.

Like you said, big game player. Over the last 3 playoffs he's produced at a PPG rate yet Marner, who has a much higher cap hit and has been less productive in the playoffs, gets praised for being "the best winger in the world" and Nylander gets grief. Maybe it's anti-Swede bias or some people just don't care about playoff success, who the hell knows. All I know is I'm thrilled with Nylander and the whiners can go piss up a rope.

In 9 series winning games over the past 5 years. Willy had 1G 7A. Marner 0G 3A.

I'm more concerned about Marner than Nylander

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

One of the few.

Top 5 in the league.

He's a really good if you can get past when he hit the deck during the last series. If I have to give him 9m to stay vs 13-14m to Marner, I am moving on from Marner. It's no contest.

Taylor Halls Teeth

Jul 11, 2018
Edmonton
Thats exactly what you want him to say. Yeah he's a lot closer to Kessel than Tkachuk but Kessel had two monster playoffs and has the rings in spite of that. But there isn't room for him and Mitch in the same cap and they are into Marner's full no move. Willie isn't the problem. $42M on four guys is the problem .

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad