News Article: Nylander on if he is proud of anything he accomplished this season: “I’ll be proud when we f****** win.”

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Who cares if he hits as long as he bring his best game. Players should play to there strenghts, and it sure aint hitting in Nylanders case. Its like hatin on Kampf for not scoring 30+ goals.

If Nylander had 10hits game and no points all playoff would that make everybody happy?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I can understand you want the players to prove his words….but oh man, why can’t some of you just have some faith for the players and save all the negativity after the playoffs.

Like would you rather have Willie or other players coming out and saying this is my best season in my career and proud of it instead of saying what Willie did.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
It’s amazing that all these years playing and he has managed to avoid a scrum. That’s gotta be record.

Only once I have seen him show some
Emotion and that was this season when he punched the guy behind the net.

All that skill and talent but zero emotion.

Let’s hope this playoffs there is more hunger.
I find this to be such a stupid mentality; I never once saw Kane throw a punch and he is one the most clutch players of his generation with a Conne Smythe and 2 cups to his name....

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Great comparison
I can name a couple more if you’d like:

Kessel might’ve been allergic to contact
Gaborik decided me didn’t like to hit
Henrik and Daniel Sedin both were scared to go into corners or hit someone
Tarasenko isn’t known for being a physical player
Burakovsky is pretty soft too

Between them there’s, 5 cups and another finals appearance. They all have pretty solid playoff stats. Nylander being “afraid” of contact is not the reason we are losing series’s

1) Special Teams
2) Goaltending

3) Big 4 “clutch” factor
4) coaching
5) depth scoring

Those imo are the list of 5 reasons, ordered, on why we lose. 1 and 2 are interchangeable, and the other three are interchangeable. But there are two tiers, the first being single handedly costing us, the second being things that undermined our chances and resulted in our eventual loss

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
I didn’t say he is the reason we are losing lol

I just stated the fact that he is a perimeter player. He doesn’t engage physically.

As long as he is putting up points in meaningful situations and games who cares if he is physically engaged right? I don’t. I was just stating that as a fact. He hardly shows any emotion out there.

I like Willy. I have his jersey lol

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019

I just stated the fact that he is a perimeter player. He doesn’t engage physically.

As long as he is putting up points in meaningful situations and games who cares if he is physically engaged right? I don’t. I was just stating that as a fact. He hardly shows any emotion out there.

He does however win board battles, strips the puck and scores a lot driving the net.

Not showing emotion is just who he is. Just need him to go out and outscore his opposition.

I would like to see him have a shift or two like he did in the worlds though

Reactions: 3blizzard4

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
why can’t some of you just have some faith
First time? Patience wears out. 56 years isn't enough? how about 20 years of no series? Ok not their fault? how about 6 straight first round exits with the exact same core? This team has earned NOTHING

Reactions: mikeyz

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Great for him. Now look at someone like Kucherov. He's paid to score, but he still manages to run around being one of the bigger pieces of shit in the league come playoff time. Nothing insanely suspension-worthy dirty, but he walks that line.

The "big 4" need to start playing like that
Different player, different style.

Would you rather he try to hit Hedman in Tuesday's game, or just steal the puck and set up the game winner?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
It’s amazing that all these years playing and he has managed to avoid a scrum. That’s gotta be record.

Only once I have seen him show some
Emotion and that was this season when he punched the guy behind the net.

All that skill and talent but zero emotion.

Let’s hope this playoffs there is more hunger
Sorry you missed Tuesday's game, the most recent time he was in the scrum.

Reactions: bax

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I can name a couple more if you’d like:

Kessel might’ve been allergic to contact
Gaborik decided me didn’t like to hit
Henrik and Daniel Sedin both were scared to go into corners or hit someone
Tarasenko isn’t known for being a physical player
Burakovsky is pretty soft too

Between them there’s, 5 cups and another finals appearance. They all have pretty solid playoff stats. Nylander being “afraid” of contact is not the reason we are losing series’s

1) Special Teams
2) Goaltending

3) Big 4 “clutch” factor
4) coaching
5) depth scoring

Those imo are the list of 5 reasons, ordered, on why we lose. 1 and 2 are interchangeable, and the other three are interchangeable. But there are two tiers, the first being single handedly costing us, the second being things that undermined our chances and resulted in our eventual loss
That's a completely different story.

Willy isn't afraid of contact or being hit. He drives the net about as well as anyone on the team, and fights along the boards (and most often wins). What he doesn't do is run into the opposing player who has the puck - he would rather try to take it with his stick. I have long complained that too many Leafs do the same, and I'd like to see Willy be a bit more aggressive physically.

But considering how successful he is, I don't think we should complain too much.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

I think that's the split. No, he doesn't run people into the boards, but that doesn't mean he isn't physically engaged.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
First time? Patience wears out. 56 years isn't enough? how about 20 years of no series? Ok not their fault? how about 6 straight first round exits with the exact same core? This team has earned NOTHING
I am not disagreeing with you but let’s save all these negative stuff when they are done. Bc trust me, if they crash out again, there will be plenty of negative words coming from me. But for now, let’s all hope they win a few rounds and even the Cup.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Willy isn't afraid of contact or being hit. He drives the net about as well as anyone on the team, and fights along the boards (and most often wins). What he doesn't do is run into the opposing player who has the puck - he would rather try to take it with his stick. I have long complained that too many Leafs do the same, and I'd like to see Willy be a bit more aggressive physically.

But considering how successful he is, I don't think we should complain too much.
You have to just accept this is the type of player he is. He does get caught up in spells where he plays horribly soft but they come and go. Come playoff time he's proven to be a very valuable secondary scoring piece and hopefully he continues that this year.

He's basically another version of Phil Kessel - who proved to be very valuable to Pittsburgh when slotted in correctly behind superior players.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Bingo.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I feel it in my bones and Willy’s coming to play this playoff season.
They talked to him in his exit interview, they talked to him at the beginning of the training camp, and they’ll remind him this weekend that he’s big and strong enough and doesn’t need to take plays off.
He’s going to surprise a few TB players.

Who cares if he hits as long as he bring his best game. Players should play to there strenghts, and it sure aint hitting in Nylanders case. Its like hatin on Kampf for not scoring 30+ goals.

If Nylander had 10hits game and no points all playoff would that make everybody happy?
Hit early, score late.

Reactions: ZEBROA

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

He sure looked afraid of contact in the dying minutes of game 7 last year. He literally could have taken a hit and set up Spezza behind the net, but he didn’t.

Reactions: 3blizzard4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad