News Article: Nylander on if he is proud of anything he accomplished this season: “I’ll be proud when we f****** win.”

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Good quote. Good player.

This brief period of time between the end of a very good regular season and the start of the playoffs should be about optimism, enthusiasm, and excitement. I hope that gains momentum.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Nylander has a great year and fans still complain he doesn’t finish a check like that really matters in a game.

Just on cue with some fans glorifying goon hockey. Just in time for playoffs when the rules change.

Nylander has been one our most consistent playofff producers. For yrs he was at the top in dirty area goals.

But because his name isn’t Tucker or Domi who by the way won us crap with all those finished checks. And were glorified because that team beat up a Senators teams and again won nothing.

Players have their roles . Nylander since his holdout is in the top 10-15 in goals scored in that time and fans still complain.

Win the cup….everything else is hogwash. No one cares how many first rd victories a team has….or second rd victories….except fans that want to trash talk.

Hopefully Nylander moves on where he will be more appreciated from his fans and media

Reactions: 4uston M4tthews

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

Great article from him and on his season, his mentality and growth as a player in finding consistency.
He's probably sick and tired of all the negativity from the media and the fanbase.

Will deserves some of it, but there's no denying he was highly instrumental in the Leafs success to this point. He dominated his position most nights and I'd say moved into the top 10 RWs in the league, and I still think he has another level. We waited a long time for Will to show consistency at the elite level he's always been capable of.

There are 2 on here convinced that is the sole reason the Leafs have lost.

Strangely, they both claim to be Leaf fans.
Only 2?

Reactions: Niagara Bill

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Love Willy. HE's saying what the team and the fanbase feel. And as usual Willy says it with STYLES!!!! GO LEAFS GO!!!!

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
It’s amazing that all these years playing and he has managed to avoid a scrum. That’s gotta be record.

Only once I have seen him show some
Emotion and that was this season when he punched the guy behind the net.

All that skill and talent but zero emotion.

Let’s hope this playoffs there is more hunger.
I for one would much rather have Will out muscle the forward for the puck, then dance around a Dman. Scrums are necessary for sure but Willie doesn't win washing a guys face, Willie wins by scoring

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Playing engaged and using your physicality is not "GOON HOCKEY" nor has it ever been. If I finish a check to seperate a puck, or I bump a puck carrier off the puck, that's me being physical. If I take a guy into the boards with my stick planted into the small of his back or diagonally across his shoulder blade, or spear a guy behind the knee, or bring my stick up real hard into a guys face in a puck battle, hoping he'll drop his gloves or that I hurt him then that's "GOON HOCKEY."

Why is this distinction, which is quite clear to me, be so difficult to grasp for so many people, I don't get it!

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
He sure looked afraid of contact in the dying minutes of game 7 last year. He literally could have taken a hit and set up Spezza behind the net, but he didn’t.
I don't recall that incident in particular, but if you have to go back a year to find one....

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
When Willie skates like almost no one in the NHL can, when he retrieves pucks better than most, when he is hungry and motivated, when he takes out dmen with his body there is nobody better or more dangerous in the NHL and is arguably the best second line player.
But some games (too many) he appears disinterested.
He can be the key to a Stanley.

Reactions: therealkoho

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Nylander has a great year and fans still complain he doesn’t finish a check like that really matters in a game.

Just on cue with some fans glorifying goon hockey. Just in time for playoffs when the rules change.

Nylander has been one our most consistent playofff producers. For yrs he was at the top in dirty area goals.

But because his name isn’t Tucker or Domi who by the way won us crap with all those finished checks. And were glorified because that team beat up a Senators teams and again won nothing.

Players have their roles . Nylander since his holdout is in the top 10-15 in goals scored in that time and fans still complain.

Win the cup….everything else is hogwash. No one cares how many first rd victories a team has….or second rd victories….except fans that want to trash talk.

Hopefully Nylander moves on where he will be more appreciated from his fans and media
If you believe finishing a check = goon hockey you may need to re-evaluate your understanding of the game.

Not pulling the chute or doing a fly by doesn't make you Domi or Tucker. :laugh:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
He's probably sick and tired of all the negativity from the media and the fanbase.

Will deserves some of it, but there's no denying he was highly instrumental in the Leafs success to this point. He dominated his position most nights and I'd say moved into the top 10 RWs in the league, and I still think he has another level. We waited a long time for Will to show consistency at the elite level he's always been capable of.
Among RW this year:

4th in goals
6th in assists
5th in points
3rd in ES goals
5th in ES points
11th in PP goals
8th in PP points
2nd in OT goals
10th in GWG
2nd in takeaways (Mitch was 1st)
4th in tka/60 (40+ games)
18th in giveaways (Pastrnak was 1st, Mitch was 3rd)
44th of 90 in gwa/60 (40+ games)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Among RW this year:

4th in goals
6th in assists
5th in points
3rd in ES goals
5th in ES points
11th in PP goals
8th in PP points
2nd in OT goals
10th in GWG
2nd in takeaways (Mitch was 1st)
4th in tka/60 (40+ games)
18th in giveaways (Pastrnak was 1st, Mitch was 3rd)
44th of 90 in gwa/60 (40+ games)
He's had a phenomenal season and definitely taken a step this year.
I think he's going to have a huge playoff.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Willy will need to drive a line .. congrats Willy on a great season .. no more take a game oo two or three off now please .. we need you to step up every shift in da playoffs .. da big guy

Reactions: 3blizzard4

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
ROR is a tad faster than JT. How about Knies Kerfoot Nylander on your third line and JT ROR Jarnkrok on your second line ?
Not sure I'd want Kerfoot centering a line, and why have your third best player on line 3 and two centres on line 2?

Knies - ROR - Nylander looked very good together.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Everyone needs to contribute as a grit grinder .. hockey teams pull best when everyone on exactly da same page .. it is exactly why Bruins do well in playoff hockey .. Matty Mitch and Willy need to get on board da ROR train .. it really is that simple .. JT already gets it trust me

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
When Willie skates like almost no one in the NHL can, when he retrieves pucks better than most, when he is hungry and motivated, when he takes out dmen with his body there is nobody better or more dangerous in the NHL and is arguably the best second line player.
But some games (too many) he appears disinterested.
He can be the key to a Stanley.
I agree...he is a big key to winning. The issue is that the whole team needs to be like that...that seems more likely this year than other years because they seem to be more determined to play "the right way".

Reactions: Niagara Bill

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad