Value of: Nylander - Offer sheet

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I disagree. I've watched enough games to know they are both hugely skilled. It is miraculous that a core as young as this did as well as they did. Offensively, Marner actually was better than people would have expected.
They went to game 7 against a very good bruin team. To think they haven't become better just doesn't make sense

don't waste your time, the guy is a troll. Marner is pretty much untouchable, I expect him to retire a leaf tbh.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Islanders wouldn’t need to offersheet if they would have just picked him instead of Michael Dal Colle in the draft.

One of the reasons why Tavares left is that the Islanders just flubbed so many top 10 picks. They could have been such a good team.

Leafs drafting record in the last 10 years or so isn’t exactly great. It’s probavlt average. But they never ****ed up a top 10 picks. Got Kadri, Marner, Matthews, Rielly, Nylander. All homegrown top 10 picks.

To be fair Dal Colle was a monster in his draft year. Other than McDavid, he was the most impressive player I've seen play live in the O over the last half dozen years. Not sure if it was injuries or personal issues but he actually regressed in the years that followed but your point is well taken. Leafs have drafted well after decades of doin anything but... as a fan base we shouldn't be too arrogant about it. Just be happy that we managed to turn things around.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Not very well. Ehlers had 1 season over 38 points, Nylander has two over 60. Repeating a high point season gives you much more bargaining power.

he also had a 25g and 64 pt season, neither of which nylander has

willy is getting 6.25-6.5 long term, or maybe even a 2-3 year bridge at 4

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Barzal. I think Lou will just continue the rebuild in NYI. They did have the best draft.

no need to even respond to that guy

isles dont have their own 2nd,3rd OR 4th

Dubas isnt an idiot. if lou trades for his 2nd and 3rd back he will know something is up

Leafs match anything 8 and under.
will be fun to also throw 10 mil at barzal in 2 years. isles match obviously because they arent taking a pair of lates 1sts, 2nd and 3rd for barzal

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
I disagree. I've watched enough games to know they are both hugely skilled. It is miraculous that a core as young as this did as well as they did. Offensively, Marner actually was better than people would have expected.
They went to game 7 against a very good bruin team. To think they haven't become better just doesn't make sense

Agree that they both are really skilled players and i can see Nylander turning into a eliteplayer, he has that upside and also a really good release.

Marner though are in my mind hugely overated, hes feisty to look at when he got space to work on like in PP. But to me he reminds me of Sam Gagner who could have good streaks followed up with bad ones, weak on the puck and size matters when you get into the playoffs, Marner has also a very weak shot which are very hard to make even average. If he bulks up he probably loses a step in the skating area.

We will see if he have any chemistry wit JT, but if he has hes contract could anchor the team a long time. The problem with those offensive players who cant be used anywhere else is if they stop producing at a acceptable level.

I think the jury still out on Marner a couple of month of producing and a couple of playoff games doesnt make him a sure thing, before cristmas he had really bad stretches.

As a Canadian fanboy we will be hugely overpaid though, people often think feisty is the same as effective and also forget weaknesses after a high reel goal, but every goal has the same value in a game.

Come back in 4-5 years and throw it in my face if im wrong, but i dont think he will have a big impact in a future Leafs team and the expectations the fanbase has in him is way to high. He will have 40 % of his production in pp and 65-70 a a season. And if he and his line continue to leaking goals, thats not near the star quality mark. Playing wit Jt perhaps give him some free points, but you dont need to pay wingers 8-9 playing with a top 10 Center, rather have a player with a snipe who crashing the net at 4-5, even less in McDavids case! Building with role players around your top centers, theres a reason why Babcock ties a fast and hard checking Hyman with AM.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
To be fair Dal Colle was a monster in his draft year. Other than McDavid, he was the most impressive player I've seen play live in the O over the last half dozen years. Not sure if it was injuries or personal issues but he actually regressed in the years that followed but your point is well taken. Leafs have drafted well after decades of doin anything but... as a fan base we shouldn't be too arrogant about it. Just be happy that we managed to turn things around.

Not being arrogant at all. Like I said in the post. The Leafs draft record isn’t exactly stellar. Stuart Percy, Tyler Biggs, Gauthier, Matt Finn all relatively high picks that didn’t look that good from the day they were picked. In this league, if you Zuck, you have to get the pick right or you will be down in the basement forever. MDC, Reinhart picks hurt them a lot.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Agree that they both are really skilled players and i can see Nylander turning into a eliteplayer, he has that upside and also a really good release.

Marner though are in my mind hugely overated, hes feisty to look at when he got space to work on like in PP. But to me he reminds me of Sam Gagner who could have good streaks followed up with bad ones, weak on the puck and size matters when you get into the playoffs, Marner has also a very weak shot which are very hard to make even average. If he bulks up he probably loses a step in the skating area.

We will see if he have any chemistry wit JT, but if he has hes contract could anchor the team a long time. The problem with those offensive players who cant be used anywhere else is if they stop producing at a acceptable level.

I think the jury still out on Marner a couple of month of producing and a couple of playoff games doesnt make him a sure thing, before cristmas he had really bad stretches.

As a Canadian fanboy we will be hugely overpaid though, people often think feisty is the same as effective and also forget weaknesses after a high reel goal, but every goal has the same value in a game.

Come back in 4-5 years and throw it in my face if im wrong, but i dont think he will have a big impact in a future Leafs team and the expectations the fanbase has in him is way to high. He will have 40 % of his production in pp and 65-70 a a season. And if he and his line continue to leaking goals, thats not near the star quality mark. Playing wit Jt perhaps give him some free points, but you dont need to pay wingers 8-9 playing with a top 10 Center, rather have a player with a snipe who crashing the net at 4-5, even less in McDavids case! Building with role players around your top centers, theres a reason why Babcock ties a fast and hard checking Hyman with AM.
I mean.....this....wow. That is an absolutely egregious take on Marner.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

Marner should stand out next year. If he doesn't, people will re-evaluate their assessment sooner rather than later

Placid Perspicuity

Apr 19, 2016
I mean.....this....wow. That is an absolutely egregious take on Marner.

I'm surprised some people are still willing to engage in a "discussion" with this guy. It's clear that he doesn't know what he is talking about. I'm not even sure what he is saying. I had to put him on ignore, as I was getting tired of trying to decipher what looks like gibberish run through "Google Translate."

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Not being arrogant at all. Like I said in the post. The Leafs draft record isn’t exactly stellar. Stuart Percy, Tyler Biggs, Gauthier, Matt Finn all relatively high picks that didn’t look that good from the day they were picked. In this league, if you Zuck, you have to get the pick right or you will be down in the basement forever. MDC, Reinhart picks hurt them a lot.

The Reinhart pick certainly should have hurt them. But it turned out to be one of the best things they did thanks to Chiarelli.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
The Reinhart pick certainly should have hurt them. But it turned out to be one of the best things they did thanks to Chiarelli.

Yeah it helped them out later on but if they draft Rielly, Lindholm, Trouba instead the Islanders are likely a better team that makes the playoffs more often and Tavares maybe doesn’t leave.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad