Rumor: Nylander like Matthews unextended. Nothing to see here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
You mean like those who say Matthews is the 2nd best player in the league (he is not) and should be paid as the highest paid player?

Leon has 14 goals fewer than matthews in last 7 years but many many more assists and overall pts and way better playoff stats all for 3+milly per yr cheaper than our guy.

1 year removed from the best in the league... don't think it is so far-fetched.

What does salary have to do with anything?

Draisaitl was considered overpaid when he signed.

Draisailt in the last 3 years:
0 times winning the Lindsay
0 times being a finalist for the Lindsay
0 times winning the Hart
0 times being a finalist for the Hart

Matthews in the last 3 years:
1 time winning the Lindsay
1 time being a finalist for the Lindsay
1 time winning the Hart
1 time being a finalist for the Hart

His injured year (last year) is when he missed out.

He was also the rocket winner the two years before his injury.

If Matthews is injured then Draisaitl > Matthews.

This is also excluding Selke voting, which Matthews routinely gets (he is not a finalist, but gets votes)

Draisaitl last had a vote 3 years ago.

Still, Draisaitl is very good, I just have an issue with "2nd best in the world", at least Matthews has an argument with the likes of MacKinnon.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Why 5 years?

4 years he doesn't
3 years he doesn't
2 years he does
1 year he does

That injury last year really leveled the playing field.

Draisaitl gets brought up as 2nd best in the world, and he is not, I think that is why people bring him down.
Defensively he sits in the bottom 9th percentile. He would make a great hockey version of a harlem globetrotter but a complete player he is not.

Reactions: notbias

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Draisaitl also plays on the PK, not a lot, but a little less than a minute a game, Matthews 4 seconds a game.

marner PK's

McDavid >> Matthews > Draisaitl > marner > Nylander

Some of that is opportunity. If coach doesn't trust you to PK, you don't PK, if coach gives player A 20 minutes a game but player B 18 minutes a game ...

I think it’s a massive oversimplification to imply that if you don’t PK your coach does not trust you. Further to that, a player being relied on for PK time is not necessarily an indicator of better defensive ability vs someone who doesn’t. For example, Matthews is clearly the better defensive player vs Draisaitl despite their PK time difference, and I think Matthews is every bit as good defensively as Marner as well

Reactions: Dekes For Days

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Draisaitl also plays on the PK, not a lot, but a little less than a minute a game, Matthews 4 seconds a game.

marner PK's

McDavid >> Matthews > Draisaitl > marner > Nylander

Some of that is opportunity. If coach doesn't trust you to PK, you don't PK, if coach gives player A 20 minutes a game but player B 18 minutes a game ...

Draisaitl played 40 seconds/game on the PK... not sure he is that trusted, and that is a lot less than a minute.

He plays more than Hyman which is mind-boggling... but maybe his bad knee is already catching up to him.

Draisaitl is 11th in SHTOI/GP for forwards on his team.

I think this is just more opportunity than anything else...

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I think people saying de facto Matthews or Draisaitl is not the second best player in the league need to take it down a notch personally. McDavid is the clear number one. Matthews and Draisaitl both belong to a small group of players one could reasonably make a case for being the best thereafter.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
1 year removed from the best in the league... don't think it is so far-fetched.

What does salary have to do with anything?

Draisaitl was considered overpaid when he signed.

Draisailt in the last 3 years:
0 times winning the Lindsay
0 times being a finalist for the Lindsay
0 times winning the Hart
0 times being a finalist for the Hart

Matthews in the last 3 years:
1 time winning the Lindsay
1 time being a finalist for the Lindsay
1 time winning the Hart
1 time being a finalist for the Hart

His injured year (last year) is when he missed out.

He was also the rocket winner the two years before his injury.

If Matthews is injured then Draisaitl > Matthews.

This is also excluding Selke voting, which Matthews routinely gets (he is not a finalist, but gets votes)

Draisaitl last had a vote 3 years ago.

Still, Draisaitl is very good, I just have an issue with "2nd best in the world", at least Matthews has an argument with the likes of MacKinnon.
Last 3 years you say....

Matthews 141goals 116A 257pts Playoffs 10g 15a 25pts
Leon 138 goals 184A 322pts Playoffs 22g 22a 44pts

Reactions: 02blkvert

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Last 3 years you say....

Matthews 141goals 116A 257pts Playoffs 10g 15a 25pts
Leon 138 goals 184A 322pts Playoffs 22g 22a 44pts

Sure, now who was considered the best play two years ago? And who was considered second best the year before?

There is a clear outlier in Matthews' recent play which has allowed for this to be a conversation.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
I think people saying de facto Matthews or Draisaitl is not the second best player in the league need to take it down a notch personally. McDavid is the clear number one. Matthews and Draisaitl both belong to a small group of players one could reasonably make a case for being the best thereafter.
That's how I see it, although I'm having flashbacks of choosing Matty over Drai in the number 2 spot in fantasy last year.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
The only reason Drai is allowed to play the way he does is because he’s McDavid’s bf and the coaches aren’t allowed being mean to him about his abhorrent defense. Imagine Drai playing for Bowman, Burns, Tortorella or whoever you want, he’d go deaf in whatever ear the coach is closest to about the 3rd time he chose not to even pretend to backcheck his first shift.

Harder to score points when you have to skate full speed in twice the amount of directions you’re used to.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Bang on.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Hearing you guys arguing for Matthews gaudy salary demands being justified, I certainly feel the same.

Not sure I ever argued in favor of his salary demands. I'm currently discussing who is the better player.

Draisaitl needs a new contract in a year too, so not sure they matter much when comparing them.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Not sure I ever argued in favor of his salary demands. I'm currently discussing who is the better player.

Draisaitl needs a new contract in a year too, so not sure they matter much when comparing them.

What's there to discuss? Draisaitl blows Matthews out of the water in almost every category, is an absolute unit in the playoffs, can stay healthy, and actually signs 8 year extensions.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Draisaitl vs. Matthews..... how exactly does this off topic BS relate to Nylander's contract extension talks? Anyone?

Reactions: freshwind

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Draisaitl played 40 seconds/game on the PK... not sure he is that trusted, and that is a lot less than a minute.

He plays more than Hyman which is mind-boggling... but maybe his bad knee is already catching up to him.

Draisaitl is 11th in SHTOI/GP for forwards on his team.

I think this is just more opportunity than anything else...

This year he played less.

Last 5 years average:

1691170830394.png

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Sure, now who was considered the best play two years ago? And who was considered second best the year before?

There is a clear outlier in Matthews' recent play which has allowed for this to be a conversation.
Matthews was the best player in 2021-2022, but he got homer voted into being 2nd, draisaitl had 84 points, that’s almost 20 more points in 4 more games. Over a full season that’s 123 vs 103. Not to mention Mackinnon who had one less point in 4 less games. That’s a 111 point pace over 82.

The only year matthews “separated” himself from draisaitl and co was his hart year, every other year he’s paced for much much lower than the rest of them

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
This year he played less.

Last 5 years average:

View attachment 733510

so the trust has gone down or the situations changed? I am not saying Draisaitl is a bad PKer, just saying Matthews doesn't PK due to us having good ones.

Matthews was the best player in 2021-2022, but he got homer voted into being 2nd, draisaitl had 84 points, that’s almost 20 more points in 4 more games. Over a full season that’s 123 vs 103. Not to mention Mackinnon who had one less point in 4 less games. That’s a 111 point pace over 82.

The only year matthews “separated” himself from draisaitl and co was his hart year, every other year he’s paced for much much lower than the rest of them

If points were all the mattered Oilers would be winning the cup every year.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I am not saying Draisaitl is a bad PKer, just saying Matthews doesn't PK due to us having good ones.
Yeah. We have PKers that actually try to prevent the other team from scoring. Edmonton uses Draisaitl on the PK for offense.
He goes up against secondary units and allows a ton against, because he's still cheating for offense like he does at ES.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Draisaitl vs. Matthews..... how exactly does this off topic BS relate to Nylander's contract extension talks? Anyone?
Was just reading through and thought the same thing.
I blame squirrels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad