Rumor: Nylander like Matthews unextended. Nothing to see here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Just watching him you see the separation from every other player.

I appreciate that the Oilers star guys play with a level of wanting to run through the opposition, whereas our guys never have that ambient desire to beat up other teams and run them out of the building. If I were an Oiler fan I would be encouraged to see that kind of hostility. Just shows me they want to hit a higher gear and if you get in their way it’s going to be hell to pay. Our attitude seems to be a keep it loose and try to cruise control to success. Manage emotions and keep an even keel. Keeping an even keel is not a good thing.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
When looking at games played and points its actually not even that close....

Leon stays healthy and has put up 4x 105+ pts since signing his 8.5 milly deal and a high of 128pts. Matthews has one 105 pt season and his next highest is 85.

The last 5 seasons Matthews has 225 goals and 410 pts....Leon 231 goals and 537 pts.

Playoffs are not even close with leon at 49 games 77 pts and Matthews 50 games 44 pts.

Leon has played more games but thats not his fault he stays healthy while our guy doesnt. Highest paid player eh? sheesh.

I hate Leon with a passion but I do compare and contrast the playoff run where he was on a bad ankle and still putting up points like a demon vs Matthews decline in production this year. One guys shooting is impacted. The other guy can’t skate.

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Funny I would mention Tkachuk with Nylander in response to a comment about Tkachuk and Nylander and fully staying on topic in discussing competitive advantage issues related to a contract.
Stay on topic.
So mentioning Tkachuk is OK but mentioning Marner is off topic. What's your reasoning here?

Reactions: Dangles McGavin

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I hate Leon with a passion but I do compare and contrast the playoff run where he was on a bad ankle and still putting up points like a demon vs Matthews decline in production this year. One guys shooting is impacted. The other guy can’t skate.
Leon draisaitl is a better play maker than matthews is a goal scorer

And as a goal scorer he is also cream of the crop while matthews is barely middle of the pack for a top center.

Draisaitl has a chance to be an all time great if we are not being biased. His last 5 seasons are amongst the top 10-20 greatest prime periods ever.

If he dominates for another 5 years he will be a top 30 player all time

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
No, not in the least. There is no evidence, or heresay to suggest this is remotely true.
So present a plausible explanation or point out something I said that is inaccurate. Makar doesn't have one. Did they forget?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The issue will be can you get anything close to his value without him agreeing to an extension with the new team before the trade. Hawks got a 1st (7th OA) a 2nd and a third for Debrincat with one year left expiring as an RFA. Then when he has only that RFA yr left Sens got less than that back.

With 1 year left, expiring as a UFA and known to be asking for a big $$, is there anyone out their going to give you fair value today? Maybe back in June but today Rosters are set, without an extension in place you are looking at a cap dump to make room on someones roster and futures at best
Funny talking about the least overpaid of the four as a 'cap dump', but I know what you mean.

Chalk it up to one more example of Dubas' incompetence.

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Stop being so obtuse. Yeah. That is it. You didnt speak of Matthews or Nylander..
Now stop trying to troll
Someone mentioned Tkachuk, you didn't have a problem with that. Many other players have been mentioned ITT that are also not Matthews or Nylander, most recently Draisaitl and you've not had a problem with any of those players being discussed. The only player that you don't want to be part of the discussion seems to be Marner, why is that?

Reactions: geo25

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
You aren't looking at the big picture. Any of these players can rise or drop over the term of their contracts. To think that Tkachuk will play at the same pace throughout his contract is foolish. The advantage is being able to trade your assett when you want which Florida or Tampa can't do. You de-risk the contract in the future and that is worth gold. Wanna make a bid for McDavid in free agency...you have the means to shed cap.
Nylander doesn’t have the same skill set as Tkachuk.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Connor McDavid now represented by Auston Matthews' agent​

In what should be an otherwise pretty dry month for hockey news, we have been gifted with a pretty significant piece of news on Thursday morning after the announcement Jeff Jackson, the agent for Connor McDavid, was hired as the Edmonton Oilers' new CEO of Hockey Operations. Why is this significant? Well, because of who has replaced him as McDavid's new agent.

McDavid has opted to remain with Wasserman Hockey and will have two representatives effective immediately; Adam Phillips will manage McDavid's endorsement deals, while his primary agent will be Judd Muldaver. If that name sounds familiar to Leaf fans, it's because it should. Muldaver is also the agent to Leafs superstar Auston Matthews.

View attachment 733297

Hockey history will be made in 2026, a contract that will be unparalleled in size.

The MLSE board likely will be ordering whomever is GM to make it happen in Toronto (if possible)

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Tkachuk’s comparable player is Mathews.
This is just batshit crazy. Nobody take Tkachuk over Matthews.

Nylander doesn’t have the same skill set as Tkachuk.
OK. The point is lost on you unsurprisingly.

Hockey history will be made in 2026, a contract that will be unparalleled in size.

The MLSE board likely will be ordering whomever is GM to make it happen in Toronto (if possible)
But but the salaries....

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021

Probably, but it was reported with fairly little controversy that McDavid took a discount by way of knocking down the offer, and at that point if he hasn't won a cup that will be his primary concern. Might even impact his post career earnings, maybe not I dunno, but seems like a Canadian kid that will be trying to remove any no cup asterisk to his legacy.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
This is just batshit crazy. Nobody take Tkachuk over Matthews.

OK. The point is lost on you unsurprisingly.

But but the salaries....
Didn’t say take over, but his comparable is Matthews and not Nylander. I can’t think of a situation I’d take Nylander over Tkachuk, on or off the ice.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
So present a plausible explanation or point out something I said that is inaccurate. Makar doesn't have one. Did they forget?
What you said is just a theory, with no basis in reality, nor any evidence supporting it. You can't find a single piece supporting this theory anywhere. It's actually impossible to prove any accuracy, or inaccuracy, as it's just an unsubstantiated theory.

That's how evidence works, you have to prove something to be true, and in this case you can't. It's probable that in some cases, there is a reduction in salary, to have a NTC/NMC. In other cases, and probably with more elite players, there is no reduction in salary. It's probably a case by case situation. As far as Makar, if they didn't request one, they aren't going to get one... probably didn't think he'd need one. But then, that's just a theory too, and Makar didn't comment on it, so we will never know what the reality is.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
It's strange to ask for evidence for an unsubstantiated statement, with no basis or backing?
There may have been a breakdown in communication.

It's not a statement that requires substantiation. Two parties have entered into negotiation over services. The concept has been established since the beginning of time.

If party A wants to improve the terms of their service at the expense of party B, then that will be reflected in the offer party B presents to party A - assuming there are no external restraints on the parties involved.

The closest thing to 'evidence' would be an explanation on the fundamentals of bartering with seashells and pebbles.

In this particular situation, my claim is that the advantage to Nylander and the disadvantage to the Leafs is too significant not to be material.

Would you give Nylander an extra 500k per year if he removed all protection clauses from his contract?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

I think as long as McD didn’t sign the year before and didn’t win the Cup on his final year. He is signing with the Leafs.

What’s interesting will be Drai? His deal expire a year earlier than McD and Oilers will make him the highest paid player on July 1 a year before his deal expires.

The Mitchician

Dec 10, 2009
Nylander gets a driver, so doesn't need a spot.

Matthews just needs a good belt.
Nylander may be in a "different spot" other than T.O

Matthews needs to belt out his true desire and if he signs only for 5 years at more than 13.5 I feel we shouldn't include a NTC or NMC

Psst I actually don't mind what Trev has done so far this summer.
Yup we know in the past he has gave out some hefty contract$
We will only have to wait and see how he rebounds/negotiates these big decisions he is facing as a Leaf GM.

I also admit, I don't mind an added shake -up if need be.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
There may have been a breakdown in communication.

It's not a statement that requires substantiation. Two parties have entered into negotiation over services. The concept has been established since the beginning of time.

If party A wants to improve the terms of their service at the expense of party B, then that will be reflected in the offer party B presents to party A - assuming there are no external restraints on the parties involved.

The closest thing to 'evidence' would be an explanation on the fundamentals of bartering with seashells and pebbles.

In this particular situation, my claim is that the advantage to Nylander and the disadvantage to the Leafs is too significant not to be material.

Would you give Nylander an extra 500k per year if he removed all protection clauses from his contract?

There is no breakdown in communication at all. You are asserting that there is a monetization of the NMC... in your own words, would you give Nylander an extra 500k without one.

You've asked "Any idea on what the value of a full NMC compared to none might be?"

Any and all statements require substantiation. There is no evidence to support that there is a cost to having a NMC/NTC. Talking about seashells and pebbles is a red herring that is completely irrelevant. It's just a theory, now being argued as a fact... because seashells. LOL

There is nothing to support that there is any basis in reality for this theory. None has been given, none has been attempted. Anyway, if you must believe in a fantasy, feel free to. Cheers.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
There is no breakdown in communication at all. You are asserting that there is a monetization of the NMC... in your own words, would you give Nylander an extra 500k without one.

You've asked "Any idea on what the value of a full NMC compared to none might be?"

Any and all statements require substantiation. There is no evidence to support that there is a cost to having a NMC/NTC. Talking about seashells and pebbles is a red herring that is completely irrelevant. It's just a theory, now being argued as a fact... because seashells. LOL

There is nothing to support that there is any basis in reality for this theory. None has been given, none has been attempted. Anyway, if you must believe in a fantasy, feel free to. Cheers.
I'm open to the idea that it's not monetized, or somehow regulated, but I have no idea how else it would compensated in a way where it was not more or less logrolled into the price point. How do you imagine that part of the conversation goes?

I phrased the question 'any idea' to imply I was not expecting a substantiated response. NS67 seems like he's been around a while, was just interested in his opinion - thats all im expecting to get on the subject unless someone like Dekes has gotten creative. He also pointed out that his answer was not substantiated. Simple sports talk.

Seashells was not a red herring. It's acknowledged as the first form of tender used in bartering. That's where I would start if you were serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad