Nylander/Jokiharju Trade Talk 2

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
It was a bad trade and if it fails to pay dividends, Bowman deserves to lose his job.

Having said that, Nylander is young and has top line potential. Just have to cross our fingers he hits his ceiling.

Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
I feel like there aren’t many on here that are excited the Hawks have someone in charge who is willing to take risks to put together a competitor.

Do most of you enjoy safe and mediocre? That’s so boring and generally not very fruitful.

Last edited:

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I feel like that aren’t many on here that are excited the Hawks have someone in charge who is willing to take risks to put together a competitor.

Do most of you enjoy safe and mediocre? That’s so boring and generally not very fruitful.
I loooove this post.
Look at how it is working out for the White Sox. They traded a future HOF pitcher for a pair of extremely high upside but risky prospects and they've struck gold. They traded for a pitcher that was once the top prospect at his position but had severely underperformed . they traded for a pitcher with great stuff who had been in the minors for 3 seasons and had never pitched 100 innings and struck gold.

There was significant risk that the Sox got nearly nothing out of those trades. They swung for the fences and hit a HR in all 3 deals.

It is why I don't mind the Dach pick and the Jokiharju/Nylander trade.

The Hawks swing for the fences. You're more likely to get a double or triple by doing that even if you don't hit a HR.

If you try to pick safe players, occasionally you get a double, but more often you get a single or make an out. Triples and HRs are rare.

Last edited:

Rooh

GENERATIONAL TANK COMMANDER
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2017
Bet Nylander scores 25 goals this year playing with all the generational blackhawks.

D_Qc_77UIAAlPgf.jpg

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
I guess they're thinking middle 6 guys and certain types of Dmen are easier to acquire than top tier talent so they've gone after some high ceiling dudes with late bloom potential both in drafts/trades.

A risk, yes, but less so if you think you can fill the hole a sure bet like Joker would leave with other players.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
It was a bad trade and if it fails to pay dividends, Bowman deserves to lose his job.

Having said that, Nylander is young and has top line potential. Just have to cross our fingers he hits his ceiling.

Not sure how you can say the first sentence, then say the next sentence...

It was a bad trade, but Nylander is young and has "top line" potential? :huh: That would mean it wasn't really that bad of a trade...

Last edited:

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
I loooove this post.
Look at how it is working out for the White Sox. They traded a future HOF pitcher for a pair of extremely high upside but risky prospects and they've struck gold. They traded for a pitcher that was once the top prospect at his position but had severely underperformed . they traded for a pitcher with great stuff who had been in the minors for 3 seasons and had never pitched 100 innings and struck gold.

There was significant risk that the Sox got nearly nothing out of those trades. They swung for the fences and hit a HR in all 3 deals.

It is why I don't mind the Dach pick and the Jokiharju/Nylander trade.

The Hawks swing for the fences. You're more likely to get a double or triple by doing that even if you don't hit a HR.

If you try to pick safe players, occasionally you get a double, but more often you get a single or make an out. Triples and HRs are rare.

I agree with your post, except the bold. I'm not a huge Colin Cowheard fan, but I do find a good amount of his takes to be true. The other day I tuned into his show on lunch and he was discussing (or preaching, its Cowheard..) how the analytics of modern sports are swaying towards the "high risk, high reward" type plays. He mentioned how in the NBA the 3 pointer is overtaking the midrange jumper and lane shots. How NFL teams are taking the deep ball over bubble screens and running. How MLB players are swinging for the fences vs hitting in to the gap.

He's not wrong when you look at the stats. Is there still a place and need for everything outside of the "big play"? Yes. However that's clearly not going to slow down the high risk, high reward tendencies.

Is Stan on to something? Is he buying in to this idea of take the big shot or go home? We may never know. There's a balance that needs met between the safe play and taking a risky shot. The biggest risk is not taking a risk at all.

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013
Pretty good chance this is going to look like highway robbery (by us) within a couple of seasons.

I agree...

1st went to Prospect camp- Joker's draft year- and said it then...
Joker- did NOT impress me in any phase of the game/Camp
2 standouts were -- Ian Mitchell and DCAT--period

2nd -- Nylander's Hands/skills are off the chart-- HIGH
3rd-- using His WJ-20's stats-- as a future predictor--
Odds are Greatly- in Hawks favor that the Kid pans out in Big way
4th-- If this kid gets- time/space playing with 19/88... I can honestly see him with 20-30 goals -easy-- elite finisher!

needs to Play with Highest level guys- to take Main D Focus off of him

Only negative-- is the Nylander/Kane duo/line - gonna be "exposed" versus some heavier teams???

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
Not sure how you can say the first sentence, then say the next sentence...

It was a bad trade, but Nylander is young and has "top line" potential? :huh: That would mean it wasn't really that bad of a trade...
This is similar to what I said in the now locked 2020 draft thread. It's possible to make a good trade or draft pick and have them not pan out. The results don't invalidate the thought process that went into them.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth

How can you say it was a bad trade while also admitting he has a high ceiling? Seems to me that it's not known at this point yet.

It's a trade that has the potential to be bad. But also has the potential to be a very good one. Let's just wait until the preseason to call it a bad trade (that's a joke, btw, since that's way too early).

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
If Nylander's supposed to be all that and a bag of chips then why has he failed to be anything but underwhelming at the AHL level for 3 years running?

Because he was playing in the AHL at 18, 19, and 20 years old, and wasn't ready for it? Because Buffalo is terrible at developing players? Because Buffalo is a terribly run organization? Because he had some injuries?

He played 65 games as an 18 year old and had 28 points. (35 point pace)
He played 51 games as a 19 year old, and had 27 points. One less point in 14 less games. (43 point pace)
He played 49 games as a 20 year old, and had 31 points in 49 games. Four more points in 2 less games.(51 point pace)

He also played 12 games for Buffalo last season, where they said he played well in his call-up, and had 4 points in 12 games.

It sure looks like, when healthy, he is progressively getting better, year to year. At least based upon the stats.

Last edited:

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Because he was injured some of that time too.

Yes, a groin injury which would obviously affect his skating when he tried to play through it. That's what I'm hoping prompted some of the critics to question Nylander's skating.

Notice the Sabres fans pointed out that (when called up) Nylander's skating looked strong.

AgentMacklin

Jun 17, 2019
Friedman talks about this trade in the latest 31 Thoughts Podcast, beginning at 1:01:15.

Friedman: "After it got done I had a number of teams tell me that Chicago had made [Jokiharju] very available around the draft. And for whatever reason Chicago did not value him as highly as the rest of the league did. And it always makes you wonder because they know the player the best. They felt and Stan Bowman did allude to this in his post-trade conference call with Boqvist and some of the other prospects they had, they moved those guys ahead of Jokiharju."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad