Proposal: Nylander,Johnsson,Robertson,Bracco to CBJ

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
No, no, no, no way, nuh-uh, absolutely not, no, not a chance in hell, never, no, nyet, nein, NO.

We don't trade those two players for anything sort of an elite superstar C.

and if the followup involves asking about Jones I swear to G-d Almighty I will hunt you down and make you pay

Come on.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Meanwhile, on the silly end, I recognize that coming up with "equivalent the other way around" type offers is often folly, because at best one gets bogged down in the details of where the comparisons break down and at worst it becomes another flamewar, And fundamentally it's all appeal to emotion nonsense anyways; it's not a decent argument. But I find I just can't help myself. It's like playing a puzzle game.

So!

Murray (#3 of three top quality guys who nonetheless gets seen as damaged goods, maybe fairly, maybe not, but there'll be plenty of flames about it regardless - and despite common conceit doesn't actually fit the destination team's needs very well)
Jenner (valuable underrated player who nonetheless won't help the destination team enough to justify the price)
Marchenko (recent later pick who might be good but is a ways away from contributing)
Carlsson (older prospect that we all swear will be fine someday but has yet to contribute meaningfully and plays a position that the destination team doesn't need)

for

Rielly (high-cost high-quality player that would be redundant on the destination team so it makes no sense for him to be in the deal)
Kerfoot (a disproportionately valued and important part of team plans that will not be traded so don't ask)

Does that annoy both fanbases as well as the OP? I imagine it ought to.

I would consider it if we resign Muzzin, but adding Kerfoot feels off. Take him out, and Marchenko, and I feel like there is a lot of value.

Usually teams that are in win now mode don’t do they quantity for quality thing tho.

We’re looking for another Muzzin type deal to a team that’s stuck in no mans land mediocrity. I don’t know the Blue Jackets direction well enough to know what they might be aiming for.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
PLD is Columbus's 1C. Unless a 1C comes back, you don't trade your 1C. Blue Jackets lose this deal far more.

Reactions: Viqsi

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
columbus has some serious work cut out for them next season with a helluva lot RFAs up for contracts

Work, yes. Anderson, Dubois, Korpisalo, and Gavrikov. They have more than enough money, ~$8.5m in cap space currently with another $5.8m free when Dubinsky goes on LTIR (most likely). They can sign all of their guys it's just a matter of long term planning.

Reactions: Dumais

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You really think the problem is I couldn't read your post?
Well, seeing as though any alternative would involve you attempting to dictate to us our position on what we would willingly give up for our players, I figured I'd give the benefit of the doubt and assume some sort of failure to communicate.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Matthews is the best player in the deal. That trading quality for quantity is the opposite of what Toronto is trying to do.
Certainly. But that has no bearing on whether or not we would do that. All that means is that neither party would do the deal.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Work, yes. Anderson, Dubois, Korpisalo, and Gavrikov. They have more than enough money, ~$8.5m in cap space currently with another $5.8m free when Dubinsky goes on LTIR (most likely). They can sign all of their guys it's just a matter of long term planning.
Your numbers are wrong.

Assuming Dubinsky on LTIR, they have just a tad less than $24M available with 15 players signed, if the cap stays the same (very unlikely).

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Your numbers are wrong.

Assuming Dubinsky on LTIR, they have just a tad less than $24M available with 15 players signed, if the cap stays the same (very unlikely).

By currently I meant current space right now. They don't have anyone else getting big raises so you can get a rough sense of next year's cap space from that and the LTIR. The other unsigned players are all cheap RFA deals.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
By currently I meant current space right now. They don't have anyone else getting big raises so you can get a rough sense of next year's cap space from that and the LTIR. The other unsigned players are all cheap RFA deals.
Simply look at next year contract and numbers.

Much easier to discuss the situation with the right numbers.

Your "rough sense" is $9.5M off-base.

That is not small potatoes.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Simply look at next year contract and numbers.

Much easier to discuss the situation with the right numbers.

Your "rough sense" is $9.5M off-base.

That is not small potatoes.

I was getting a rough sense of the money likely available for raises for those 4 players. We're apparently doing two different exercises. Have a good night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad