Nylander is getting too much hate, but the love might be returning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Great analysis.

You seem to rely to eavily on advanced stats.

Carolina has had some amazing stats over the last ~2 years but are not a very good team.

I go with the eye test and actual production over advanced stats any day.

Nobody in there right mind should be saying that nylander has been playing really well, let alone one of our best players lol

I feel like you are getting egged on by the posters who are critizing nylander but it doent look good to be over the top in defending him

Reactions: DarkKnight

RLF

May 5, 2014
I think he's gone regardless it's just a matter of whether he increases his value or not.

Only way he stays is if his play elevates so much that his contract becomes a steal.

Not really disagreeing, just saying depending on Kap and Johnsson's asks and Willy's play, it could get interesting.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

Carolina has had some amazing stats over the last ~2 years but are not a very good team.

I go with the eye test and actual production over advanced stats any day.

Nobody in there right mind should be saying that nylander has been playing really well, let alone one of our best players lol

I feel like you are getting egged on by the posters who are critizing nylander but it doent look good to be over the top in defending him

When you say I'm "going over the top defending him", what do you mean? Do you mean I'm making inaccurate assessments of his play, or just being very tenacious in arguing the stats and analysis that other posters are bringing up?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Not really disagreeing, just saying depending on Kap and Johnsson's asks and Willy's play, it could get interesting.
For sure.
Wonder too how much the Board will influence things?

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Thread is proving it again. Nylander supporters are most objective then the Nylander critics/Marner fans.

This is simply not true.

A year or two ago there were members of the nylander fan club saying he was already better than john mf tavarez lol

RLF

May 5, 2014
For sure.
Wonder too how much the Board will influence things?

I'm not sure if the board will be very involved. If you look at Dubas actions and words as well as other reports about Kap/Sandin being "untouchable"...it may be Dubas has decided his plan is going to be to load up on forward and spend money there and go young and cheap on D and rely on really good goaltending. He may try and keep Nylander/Kap/Jonsson and we could be looking at a D of Rielly, Dermott, Z, Liligren, Rosen, Sandin next year.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I don't understand why some always have to mention Nylander with Marner top of mind, it's truly bizarre as well as a "tell".

I have a signed Sundin jersey in my closet, Mogilny was a favourite of mine. I don't even consider nationality when accessing a talent, again an odd refrain.

Reactions: ACC1224 and RLF

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't understand why some always have to mention Nylander with Marner top of mind, it's truly bizarre as well as a "tell".

I have a signed Sundin jersey in my closet, Mogilny was a favourite of mine. I don't even consider nationality when accessing a talent, again an odd refrain.
Agreed, one has nothing to do with the other.

Reactions: DarkKnight and RLF

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
When you say I'm "going over the top defending him", what do you mean? Do you mean I'm making inaccurate assessments of his play, or just being very tenacious in arguing the stats and analysis that other posters are bringing up?

Fair question.

I just went back through more of the conversations and quite a few of them are fairly aggresive or just rude.

And thank you for your well-researched lecture on the coorelation between a players thru% and oish% :rolleyes:

You seem very intelligent when it comes to hockey (I dont follow the stats nearly as much as you) but it looks like some posters are getting you going.

I couldnt find anywhere that you actually said "nylander is one of our best players" or "has been playing really well" so I apologize for that.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I think the golden kid Mitch Marner love and hate is even worse. If he asks for a lot of money, Dubas likely trades him.

I feel sad im going after Mitch. I love the player and don't want him to go. The trash said about Nylander is annoying, and some people actually think its criticism. I like to even it up and in the process, I resort to their level which is not right.

Is this your thinking?

People are critical of Nylander because he did hold out and have a poor start upon returning, so you are going to be critical of Marner now in case the does the same thing in the future.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
This is simply not true.

A year or two ago there were members of the nylander fan club saying he was already better than john mf tavarez lol
People say stuff like that all the time. Like when the Marner club said he is better then Matthews.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

Stats are useful to find outliers that might be affecting a small sample analysis. I don't really watch Carolina, but what jumps out to me when looking at their team stats and usage is that they basically have 1 line whose players have a history of even league average Sh%, but outside of that line it looks like they have either players that are too young to have a precedent, or players that have a career low Sh% -- just not enough players who can actually score. I don't really see many outliers there, not like in Nylander's case.

Reactions: Menzinger

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Fair question.

I just went back through more of the conversations and quite a few of them are fairly aggresive or just rude.

I tend to feed off the energy of the poster I'm talking to. Once they make it quite clear they aren't interested in honest debate, I get short and sarcastic.

I couldnt find anywhere that you actually said "nylander is one of our best players" or "has been playing really well" so I apologize for that.

I've been fairly consistent that he's been better than his production indicates, but not at the level he was last year yet. I also think last game where he netted 3 points was not a special game for him, maybe slightly above average this season. The reaction from posters about it though really nails the point home to me that I've been making over the last 20 games so I've been loving it.

The only homer unsubstantiated leap that I've made IMO is that he is playing better than I'd have thought after such a long slump, considering he's just getting back in after a holdout. He keeps plugging away at it, and as we all know things will turn around for him.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I love Johnsson, but he’s a 24 year old rookie and at the moment will be a bit lucky to finish with 40 points (especially given his injury), he’s going to cost like 2ish million at most.

Nylander’s salary isn’t getting in the way of signing him, Brown would be a much more accurate obstacle (though they won’t have any issue fitting him under the cap evenif Brown is still on the team)

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Kap will sign between 3-3.5 million per season on a bridge deal. If it gets into the 5-6 year term I can see it getting to an average 0f 4-5 million.

Reactions: Menzinger

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Marner and Matthews isnt close at all. Just like Marner and Eichel isnt close either. It might have been before, but Eichel is easily the better player.
I will argue though Marner is better then Laine and the gap is growing.

Funny you will defend Nylander to the moon and back, but, then make such comments like: Eichel is EASILY the better player over Marner.

How could it be "close before" when Eichel had better numbers up till this year?
Now marner has WAY better numbers, even out goal scoring him and now Eichel is easily the best player?

I think you got it backwards. Eichel was easily the better player before this year. Marner closed the gap and is having the much better season. Even advanced stats say Marner is much better.

But let me guess, we are now gonna toss out adv. stats, and forget the Jack played 20min a game last year Vs. Marners 16:23

Man, that is funny how that works sometimes.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I love Johnsson, but he’s a 24 year old rookie and at the moment will be a bit lucky to finish with 40 points (especially given his injury), he’s going to cost like 2ish million at most.

Nylander’s salary isn’t getting in the way of signing him, Brown would be a much more accurate obstacle (though they won’t have any issue fitting him under the cap evenif Brown is still on the team)
Johnsson is pretty unheralded because of how many other good players we have, and he doesn't really get a good chance. he's still 4th on the team in 5v5 production on a per minute basis (after Tavares, Marner, and Matthews). his underlying numbers are also good

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Funny you will defend Nylander to the moon and back, but, then make such comments like: Eichel is EASILY the better player over Marner.

How could it be "close before" when Eichel had better numbers up till this year?
Now marner has WAY better numbers, even out goal scoring him and now Eichel is easily the best player?

I think you got it backwards. Eichel was easily the better player before this year. Marner closed the gap and is having the much better season. Even advanced stats say Marner is much better.

But let me guess, we are now gonna toss out adv. stats, and forget the Jack played 20min a game last year Vs. Marners 16:23

Man, that is funny how that works sometimes.
Its not worth it. Makes me look like a Marner hater when really I love him and Nylander.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad