Nylander is getting too much hate, but the love might be returning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Expectations are high for Willie. He's supposed to be one of the big 4 and a main weapon for us.

I've seen players come back from 2-3 month injuries and produce almost right away. I think Willie will be a good player for us down the road but his play this year has been disappointing. After the holdout, people are naturally going to be upset with him.

Reactions: Cobra777 and Al14

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Next time you write a post implying Leaf fans are idiots, you might want to keep in mind that you're a Leaf fan yourself.

how mean.

As far as him being permanently ostracized, that's just wrong. If he starts earning his pay I can guarantee you that most Leaf fans will once again be happy with him. Let's hope it starts happening soon.

maybe the replies in this thread will change your mind about that.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
There is a horrible false narrative being spread around the leafs forum that it is common for players that start a month or two into the season to be “cold” for an extended length of time.

It is a flat out lie, and numerous examples have been given to disprove it.

Sure, players might be cold for a few games or so... but twenty? And sure, there are sometimes a slight drop in production. But 1 goal/4 points in 20 games?

Nylander deserves far MORE hate than he’s getting. He essentially took our rookie gm hostage and forced him to overpay, and then disappeared for 20 games.

Yes, he’ll likely turn it around and turn back into his “elite” (lol) 20 goal/60 point self. We all know that. But the way he’s played the past 20 games is flat out inexcusable.

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
If he is going to be paid like a big ticket player he is going to be held to big ticket standards.

If he took a more approriate 6 x6 contract and didn't hold out he would have a little more breathing room.

Fact is he is producing like a 4th liner right now. Doesn't go to the net or the dirty areas and is -9. He deserves all the criticism.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I don't understand all the hate about Nylander. Yes, he isn't producing as much as he is capable of, but he did come into the season cold, while everybody is in mid season form. I also believe he is playing well. The chances are there, he's just not capitalizing on his opportunities.

What do you guys think?

It was his own choice to sit out half a season.

On top of that, it looks like he didnt train at all during his time off.

48 games into the season and hes sitting at 1 goal. Getting paid $10million for it

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think for most fans as he returns to form and his production rises they’ll move on.

For some no matter how well he plays he’ll be the blame for all that’s wrong with the team. But there’s no changing those minds.

Reactions: stickty111

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
a little hate for making our GM look like a weak punk ass bitch isn't the worst thing in the world

hopefully his game picks up and he helps the team get out of this slump

Andrew Schmidt

Jan 9, 2019
I think he’s entitled to a little hate after putting the fan base through months of uncertainty, getting paid far above his comparables, and then going on to have the worst stretch of hockey of his career.
Yes I agree with you partly. He made us wait with uncertainty and had us worried, as we wanted him back as he is a big part of the team, and he doesn’t produce like he is expected to.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The moment he scores the OT Cup Winner Goal for the Leafs in A few months, all will
be forgotten

Reactions: Al14

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Willy is awesome, and will be fine.

If the definition of "fine" is coming back to be the 60 point player (so long as he can play with Matthews) who has major holes in his game that he was, then I agree he is probably going to be "fine".

However I'm not nearly as confident about him meeting the expectations of the fanbase and organization that he improves on what he was and, accordingly, earns his contract.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Well all predictive stats are still saying he's an elite player, so I don't really know why people are having a problem. The production will come, he's more than worth the contract.

Maybe Babs should try to put him ina situation to succeed instead of dropping him to Kadri/4th line/bench every excuse he can get.

RLF

May 5, 2014
I will stop hating on Nylander when he actually looks like he gives a ****. Never seen someone so afraid of contact in my years of watching hockey.

If you are not putting up points, there better by some Hymanesque levels of effort.

Kuh, Kuh, Kuh Kessel. Sorry, had to sneeze.:D

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Lol.
Kid is total diva that avoids all physical play.
Floating like a pro with effort level of veteran quitting.
To expencive.

And this bs about he suffering from missing games etc.. Loads of people have come from same situtation and players damn well, one in mind Kessel.
He is not showing professionalism at all, out of shape etc., horrible.

End rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad