Nylander Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
Lets be real for a sec.....

Willie negotiated off of 61 and 61 pts. 22 and 20 goal seasons.

Those were the stats that Nylander was negotiating on with the promise of future growth due to his potential.

Marner had very similar seasons in his rookie and sophomore seasons. 61 and 69 pts. 19 and 21 goals.

So Nylander and Marner has pretty similar starts in the NHL.

But what YOU are saying is that Marners (ONE) 94 pt season with 26 goals is worth 4+ M over Nylander (WHO IS ON PACE TO SCORE 30 GOALS CURRENTLY)?

I just don't see it. Rantonen signed for 9.25M. $9M was the absolute MAX for Marner.

I agree that Marner should have settled at $9M, but either his dad or agent (or both) wanted close to Matthews money since he has had more points than Matthews 2 straight years (due to Matthews injuries). It sucks that we are so tight with our cap but I still feel strongly that Marner will make a difference once he comes back.

Reactions: Duffman955

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
Nylander is on pace to score 30 goals. How is Nylander not playing better than Marner. Marner has been non existent this season. Everyone says so.

Marner is just being Marner, he always has slow starts dating back before his NHL days. But if Marner has been considered non-existent and still put up a PPG pace, that alone shows you how good he is. Just wait till he gets back, he must be so excited knowing that Babcock is not the coach anymore.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
I agree that Marner should have settled at $9M, but either his dad or agent (or both) wanted close to Matthews money since he has had more points than Matthews 2 straight years (due to Matthews injuries). It sucks that we are so tight with our cap but I still feel strongly that Marner will make a difference once he comes back.

the cap situation is tight but doable. All this Marner contract does is kill his legacy and his status. Marner will never produce up to the number he's getting paid.

OH well I dont care. Marner is the one that has to deal with the backlash if he doesnt produce and the Leafs go no where in the post-season.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I still see people on this board and also on Twitter with an unhealthy obsession towards hating him and hoping he does poorly. Whether overall or in relation to someone like Kadri. It's really weird. I feel bad for those people cause it's like they can't cheer for him cause it will hurt their firm stance and opinion on the player, which seems to not be allowed to be fluid. I'd rather admit I was wrong than cheer against someone.

Like there are actually Twitter accounts devoted specifically to being anti-Nylander. And when he is playing well they come up with every little thing or nitpick to be against him. WTF is wrong with people?

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Don't usually watch intermissions but I thought Hrudey summed up Nylander perfectly in his feature on Saturday.

NHL - Sportsnet.ca
I really like that our young player is seemingly growing and blossoming , he will never be a tough winger , but if he continues to compete and put up points , then that’s great.
One of my few concerns with him is his seemingly and again I’ll say seemingly nonchalant finishing when he gets chances to score .
If anyone remembers or sees video of great goal scorers , Ovi , Bossy , Hull Pasta and many more , when they get opportunities , they seem crazed and bear down and score with authority , I see William to often try to be cute on plays when trying to score , he has a great shot , and ability but he tries to lightly slide pucks in or gingerly flicks shots ,to me i would show him video of great right wing scorers past and present .
As the soccer lads say a bit to “ cheeky “ when chances come up .
Bury those chances man !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Wendelstache

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Really liking nylander's game this year. He has been our most consistent forward imo.

On pace for 32 goals and 32 assists. Looking for 70+ to make his deal optimal though so could do a bit better there.

Marner had like 70 something even strength points last year so I dont see why nylander cant get 70 total.

Marner's 70ish points was pretty much the result of unsustainable production. I doubt even he hits that number again (certainly not repeatable with any sort of consistency).

I can potentially see Nylander hitting that 50-60 even strength range though

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Really liking nylander's game this year. He has been our most consistent forward imo.

On pace for 32 goals and 32 assists. Looking for 70+ to make his deal optimal though so could do a bit better there.

Marner had like 70 something even strength points last year so I dont see why nylander cant get 70 total.
Not fair to Nylander to compare points with a player like Marner who will always outscore him.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Not fair to Nylander to compare points with a player like Marner who will always outscore him.

I agree. I just find it funny how willy achieving 70 points without pp1 is somehow impossible even though marner literally had 70+ at even strength.

I gave him credit for that WOW.
few games means more than than 2 in my eyes.
Jesus even when you give credit to a player , joy still get **** in

just WOW.

It's a fine line you gott walk when giving willy credit lol And dont worry you are correct. Nylander does not usually take the puck to the net like he did on his last goal. More of that please.

Of he gets 30 goals, the season will be a success. Don't care about points

Imo 70 points would be a bigger success then 30 goals but I dont view goals as highly as some.

Marner's 70ish points was pretty much the result of unsustainable production. I doubt even he hits that number again (certainly not repeatable with any sort of consistency).

I think with natural progression marner can hit 70 even strength points again. Kid definitely has 100+ point potential.

I see no reason why willy cant get 55ish even strength points and 15ish pp points. He has all of the talent and plays with a gifted goal scorer.

Just has to put in the effort which we have been seeing a lot more of this year.

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
Exactly.

Some folks had such warped expectations for the guy without factoring in context. There literally hasnt been a single 70+ point player who hasnt been a constant member of their teams 1st pp unit. Expecting him to hit those levels without similar usage is to expect something historically unprecedented for a player...

That said, ive always felt despite those limitations those point numbers are still within his reach - but thats because of how highly I view his skillset as a player. He's just that good.

Will be curious to see what Keefe does with the Pp once a healthy Marner comes back.
Marner should take Barries position. Or move up Nylander to Barries position, and let Marner take Nylanders position on the PP.
It's kinda sad tho since Barrie has looked great lately.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Expecting a 7m dollar player to put up 70+ non-special team points is an outrageous expectation.

Just curious, is anyone here even expecting our 7m dollar player to put up 70+ non-special team points?

I think 50-60 even strength and 10-15 pp points is entirely doable without 1st pp usage.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Just curious, is anyone here even expecting our 7m dollar player to put up 70+ non-special team points?

I think 50-60 even strength and 10-15 pp points is entirely doable without 1st pp usage.
Some people say well Marner did it last year, so what can't Nylander do it when he plays with Matthews.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Some people say well Marner did it last year, so what can't Nylander do it when he plays with Matthews.

I have personally said exactly that but maybe I wasnt clear.

I dont expect willy to get 70+ even strength points.

But the fact that marner had 70+ last year shows it is entirely do able.

Imo, Willy should be able to hit 70 points without being on the 1st pp unit.

Reactions: MyBudJT

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I have personally said exactly that but maybe I wasnt clear.

I dont expect willy to get 70+ even strength points.

But the fact that marner had 70+ last year shows it is entirely do able.

Imo, Willy should be able to hit 70 points without being on the 1st pp unit.
It's doable, but even two players like Marner and Tavares only got there with an on-ice shooting percentage higher than any active player has sustained through their careers. It was an absolutely astounding season for them at even strength last year. That's a very high bar to set.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Seriously, it will be surprising if Marner ever hits that 70 point 5v5 level again. Its not a normal thing for most star players

Last edited:

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
Marner is the better player.
Nylander's is the better contract.

There. That's pretty much all there is to it. Now let's enjoy the fact that we have both of them for the next five years at least.

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
OMG nylander actually gets to stay on the 1st PP unit with Marner back in.

amazing.

go figure, our coach using his 4 best forwards as the 4 forwards on the top pp unit.

Hopefully Nylander figures out how to play in the center spot. I also love moving JT back up front. TBH I'm hoping for a little more movement from the PP. Matthews, Marner, and Nylander all know how to play each other's spots on the PP so a little more movement should be a good thing.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Nylander is on pace to score 30 goals. How is Nylander not playing better than Marner. Marner has been non existent this season. Everyone says so.
First of all, i wasnt referring to Nylander...i was referring.to rantanen and point. Second of all, marner has 4 points less with 10 less games. Dont make me laugh. Marner will soon pass Willy. This train has left the station and it is hillareous these 2 players are still being compared. I dont want to slam Willy, but dont make him into something he isnt.

Reactions: MyBudJT

Cecithepylon

May 4, 2017
Nylander has hit a new gear this year. In some ways is better than Marner just needs to work on his hands a bit. If we had this Nylander last year in the playoffs we win.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario

Completely disagreed. Marner playing horribly (both from an ADV stats perspective and eye test level) was still PPG. 70+ points is attainable again given his level of talent, but even then, slightly less with an uptick in PP production (not the static concept Babcock used) would mitigate the differences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad